Suggestions on Purchasing at Grand Californian

mrladl0012

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are considering purchasing DVC, and we are still learning about how everything works. We are considering purchasing a contract at Grand Californian as we visit Disneyland at least once a year (sometimes more) and it would be our most frequent resort we visit, however, we are also considering Aulani. Because Grand Californian is more expensive, do you think it would be okay to purchase a smaller contract at Grand Californian and then get another larger contract at Aulani? We would visit Aulani every other year. If we got the both contracts with the same use year,is it possible to combine points? If so, how difficult is it to do that?

You can combine points at 7 months, but if you want to combine to use at the Grand, that is typically too late to book there. You’ll want enough points there to cover your trips there.

You can combine points at 7 months, but if you want to combine to use at the Grand, that is typically too late to book there. You’ll want enough points there to cover your trips there.
Thank you for your help!

My husband and I are considering purchasing DVC, and we are still learning about how everything works. We are considering purchasing a contract at Grand Californian as we visit Disneyland at least once a year (sometimes more) and it would be our most frequent resort we visit, however, we are also considering Aulani. Because Grand Californian is more expensive, do you think it would be okay to purchase a smaller contract at Grand Californian and then get another larger contract at Aulani? We would visit Aulani every other year. If we got the both contracts with the same use year,is it possible to combine points? If so, how difficult is it to do that?
The strategy you describe can work...with caveats:

1. VGC (Grand Cal) must be purchased through resale. It is sold out if you wanted to purchase direct through Disney and waitlist may be closed. Direct purchase through Disney is also nearly $100 per point more than through resale.

2. Live within easy driving distance.

3. Primarily stay in 1-BR Villas.

This is how it has worked for me. I have a family of 5 so we knew we had to stay primarily in 1-BR. We live 60 miles from DL. I checked out @skier_pete's availability chart and 1-BRs are the most available room type at 7-mo during most seasons. I book important hard to get dates (eg memorial day, valentines day) with VGC home resort advantage and less important dates within 7-mo window with my "sleep-around points" (SAP). We have seen hard-to-get studios and 2-BR pop up last-minute and those we can grab with our SAPs.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter