Stressed about late check-in at AKL

Tinkmom

DIS Veteran
Already upset that our school suddenly changed a teacher workday to a regular school day. Unfortunately, it was originally the first day of Christmas break, and I had to spend over $200 to change flights for myself and my son (our first ever trip without DH and DD). Now, instead of getting to AKL early, we will be arriving at about 11:00 pm.

My son adores AKL and I am now worried that we will get stuck in a "people pen view" room and he will be so disappointed, (although he is the type who would never say a word about it -- my little sweetie.) Can anyone share any experiences with late check-in at AKL? If my reservation requests Zebra trail, near the lobby, are the chances good that it will be honored?

Having one of those days.......thanks for any input. :D

We checked in one night (morning) at 1:30 AM and got a wonderful room. We could even see zebras at that hour. We were really surprised to see them when we opened the curtains. The hotel even keeps the lights on all night in the "animals only" part of the savanah. Hope you have the same great luck!

I hope we get that sort of room! I think that I am traumatized from once arriving very late at a motel on business, getting literally the last room and having the roof leak water onto the bed. It was really, really bad because there was a heavy rainstorm, middle of the night and I was in a room with a soaked bed and no where to go.

Okay, Disney wouldn't do that to me. :D

Anyone else arrived late at AKL?

It wasn't at AKL, but we checked in one time after midnight, and we got in the section we wanted!!! It was for All Star Movies, and my youngest DD was hoping and praying to stay in 101 Dalmations!! I had it noted on my reservation, but I knew it was only a request! Even though she had fallen asleep on the ride from the airport, when she heard the CM say we were in 101 Dalmations - she got her second wind and danced all the way to the room!!! We were a very happy family!!!

Enjoy your stay!!!!

I have done it 2x's at AKL. Both were concierge so I was able to put my requests in already but they were all met. I love checking in late and have doen it at AKL , Polynescian, BWI, CBR, and POF without any problems.

At AKL I was looking for bottled water, and the valet guy went in the back and got us several bottles. The CM's also have plenty of time to spend with u and are happy to do it. Good Luck!!

Last summer, we checked in to AKL a little after midnite. We had paid for Standard view and were upgraded to Savannah view. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

:earsboy:

Originally posted by always dreamin'
I've seen this phrase twice in reference to AKL. Can someone explain what this is? Thanks!:D

This is the first time I've heard of people pen rooms... I'd like to know too. :confused: :teeth:

I had a People Pen view. I checked in late. My view was on the Sunset Savannah (beware the Sunset Savannah!). The People Pen is where they evacuate people in the event of a fire. It spans for about 30 feet. It was right outside my balcony. I could see animals off in the distance and every now and then they paraded giraffes through and I could see them if I craned my neck to the left.

I would say this: if they try to put you on the Sunset Savannah, ask if there is anything else. I don't know about other Savannahs, but I thought the Sunset Savannah was a waste of money.

We're with you on the a-hopin' and a-prayin' for a good room! Our plane gets in at 11 pm (and we have a four-year-old and a 16 month old - ugh!). I made standard room ressies without understanding that "standard" was "parking lot" (in my addled brain, since 80% of the rooms were savannah view I thought that was standard and the page didn't list other options for me to know any better. By the time I figured it out, it was too late to get a discounted savannah room). At this rate, I would be perfectly satisfied with a people pen room as long as my older DS got an occasional view of an animal or two!

Sending some pixie dust your way ... hopefully someone will reciprocate my way!

We checked in at 7:00 pm at the Beach Club on the Saturday of Memorial Weekend. The room was the opposite of all the requests we had made but it was all they had left.

However, when we asked about getting a different room the next day they immediately found a room we would be able to move into the next day and could stay in for the rest of our time there. They were very nice about it.

So, if you do end up with something you don't want, it doesn't mean you have to stay there your entire stay.

I am planning a late check-in at the Poly on Feb 16. Initially I had anxiety about what room I would get, but I think that it is easy to get crazy with worry about all the potential situations you can encounter on vacation. (bad weather, illness, crowds, etc...) I have to decided that all I need is "faith, trust, and a little pixie dust". Have a positive attitude that Disney will come through!:cloud9:

Originally posted by Tinkmom
Already upset that our school suddenly changed a teacher workday to a regular school day. Unfortunately, it was originally the first day of Christmas break, and I had to spend over $200 to change flights for myself and my son (our first ever trip without DH and DD). Now, instead of getting to AKL early, we will be arriving at about 11:00 pm.

We are in the same boat. Our flight doesn't arrive until 11:00pm on 12/17. Instead of taking the chance of getting a poor view at AKL we'll be at All Star Sports on the first night. Not only do I save $100 over sleeping at AKL, but I'll also be able to check in extra early on Saturday. If I'm lucky, they'll have something but I am also willing to wait for what for a room that fills my requests. The same requests as everyone else here ;).

We won't miss being at AKL for one night since we'll be at WDW around midnight. There is no way we could commando the next day. In addition, the value resort luggage fairies are the best! All you do is let them know you are moving, leave your bags in your room and they'll come and get them after you leave for the day. No waiting around for a busy valet! The valets at AKL will call you and let you know when your bags arrive and deliver them to your room.

My first stay at AKL was on the Sunset Savannah..loved it. Our room was right over a watering hole and the Giraffe(My favorite) hung out there. I also hate birds but grew fond of them after that trip. I spent alot of time watching the animals off my balcony as my DS has special needs.

Really if you are not happy with your room the next day ask for a switch, I wouldn't sweat it, it will work out.

We had a people pen view on the Sunset Savanah and loved our view. We had a watering hole outside our room and could also see the barns. We had a lot of activity outside our room and usually had four giraffes roaming around. Also the sunsets are absolutely amazing!

If you do get a room you don't like don't be afraid to ask to change. If they have rooms avaialble they will do their best to make you happy.

I checked into CBR at midnight a few weeks ago. I got a wonderful room - exactly what I wanted. And, no lines to wait in, at check-in! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter