Strategies for keeping dry on Kali River Rapids

There are only two ways to keep dry on Kali. Don't ride it or wear a poncho.

I don't care if other people think I'm foolish, I always wear a poncho. Even that doesn't keep me totally dry but at least DH can't say that he's going to enter me in a wet tee shirt contest.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I see a lot of people wearing ponchos on this ride when I go. I have never gotten soaked on it after riding it dozens of times. I keep hoping to get drenched, but I barely get damp. My DD5 went on it this year and sat right next to me and came out drenched and I barely was wet. I am cursed or something.

Ponchos all the way for me. I love the feeling of a water ride but hate being wet so this is why I ride them in a poncho. I first make sure I am sat on the back of the poncho then roll the sides up tight against me, put my arms inside and make sure the hood is up. This helps to stay mostly dry, works very well on SM too.

I would like to know this too.

Would you look like a dork if you wore a rain poncho?

Yes, lol.

My only suggestion is to not go on it. Half of the fun is getting wet! Try it, you'll love it, especially on a hot Sept day!

dont understand why you go on if you want to stay dry:confused3 but wear light clothing. and a poncho

Neither do I. To me, it's kinda the whole point of the ride...I'm really disappointed if I don't get really wet when I ride it!

I would like to know this too.

Would you look like a dork if you wore a rain poncho?

You might look like a dork at the beginning of the ride, but at the end of the ride when you get off, you look very intelligent and dry!! :thumbsup2

My kids (12 and 6) and myself put our ponchos at the very end of the line and right before we got on the ride. My DH didn't want to bother with the poncho. So, the kids and I stayed dry except for our shoes and he was soaked! A tip is to put your feet up on the little ring around the storage area in the middle to avoid some of the water.

I joked about selling my poncho for a profit to people waiting in line. I didn't try it, but I probably would have had takers, especially since they could see a real life testimony between myself and my DH! :rotfl2:

yeah- I guess you've never been the unfortunate one to pass under the wall of water. not even the ShamWow! would help you dry off!

I consider myself the FORTUNATE one if I get under the wall of water...!

This is one of those situations where we well informed and planning crazy disers can say our work has paid off.:)

We love going on this type of ride and getting soaked. I pack a light change of clothes (tank top, shorts, and yes, underwear) for each of us in a backpack. We either wear flip flops that day or pack them to change into before the ride. I can't imagine going on it and not getting wet.

We went on a ride like this in Busch Gardens last year and I tried to tell my stepmom to bring a change of clothes. She insisted she didn't need it. After she went on the ride and got soaked in her white capris she spent an hour and $75 in the gift shop trying to get something dry to change into. Bringing the backpack of clothes isn't fun, but well worth the trouble if your going on this ride.

yeah- I guess you've never been the unfortunate one to pass under the wall of water. not even the ShamWow! would help you dry off!

Hey--don't knock the ShamWow! It's made in Germany, and you know the Germans make good stuff! :rotfl:

Don't want to get wet! Ride with me and sit on the opposite side. I get drenched every. single. time.

We usually visit during the warmer months. But back in December the mornings and evenings were a little chilly and I did wear a poncho. DS(9) was too cool for the poncho.
100_6094.jpg

This is how that worked out for him:
100_6095-1-1.jpg

We ended up making a run back to the resort for a quick change!

We change into flip flops and ride with ponchos! I always go to the dollar store and buy the 2 for a dollar ponchos so we can use them and hand them to someone else when we get off.

I love this ride but staying wet the rest of the day is not my idea of fun! I will say though that I love to watch the faces of people that are just about to get on the ride as they stare at everyone getting off with a look of horror. :rotfl2: You can tell they had no idea and they really don't want to get wet. Sooo funny!

Thanks for the advice, some I could use and some I could not (like taking off my clothes, very funny). It is not that I mind getting wet...I mind walking around all day still dripping and squishing in my shoes! I guess we'll be the Goofy ones in the ponchos!

I don't find the ride exciting enough to want to ride it without getting wet. If it wasn't for wanting to cool down on a hot day I couldn't imagine wanting to ride KRR. I thought it was one of the most boring water rides I've ever done.

you're going in early september which means it will be about 95 degrees out with 90% humidity...don't worry about getting your clothes wet, they will dry out in about 30 minutes...;)

Going to AK in 11 days, I have been trying to get my fiance back on this ride for 3 trips, she has finally agreed to give it a go this time. I am sure she will wear a poncho, but I am actually looking foward to getting soaked on a hot July day.

Wear ponchos but dont forget to bring garbage bags to put your bookbags/purse into. Id much rather make sure my cell phone, wallet are safer than my own clothes. ;)

Ok Ladies.....lets be honest here!!!!

It's all about the hair!!!! ;) I could care less if I get wet - that is part of the fun...however I just want to keep the top wet. You get that icky water in your hair, and the rest of the day is shot! :laughing:

Ok I am going to admit I am one who laughs at those who wear ponchos. In my opinion it's a water ride if you don't want to get wet then don't ride it. I don't understand why wear a poncho.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter