Strange Pancake Syrup on Ship?

leannak

DIS Veteran
On our last cruise (Europe) we had very weird syrup in the dining room for our character and disembarkation breakfast. They told us it was a honey syrup or something - I think they said they make it special. I remember it being really thick and very light in color (like honey) and tasted like straight sugar-syrup. I asked if there was maple syrup available - even the fake kind would have been okay - but alas, no. We like us some pancakes and syrup - a special treat when on vacation!! Is this "different" syrup standard for the dining rooms? I'm wondering if I should bring my own syrup for our next trip - maybe real maple syrup. Any advice or syrup recommendations? We'll have to fly with it.

As you were on a Europe cruise , maybe they ran out of the American ingredients and used European ingredients instead.

The syrup usually onboard is not real maple syrup, it's yuck.
I never get pancakes or waffles because of it.
I **think*** Palo brunch may have the stuff........

Golden syrup?

I was thinking of giving maple syrup as my FE next summer since we are from Quebec and sugar shack season is soon. Reading this post, I guess it would be appreciated?

Golden syrup?

I was thinking of giving maple syrup as my FE next summer since we are from Quebec and sugar shack season is soon. Reading this post, I guess it would be appreciated?
Golden syrup is an extremely commun UK condiment. It’s very sweet, thick, honey coloured but it has a distinctive taste.

I’m also from Qc. I’m sure your FE group would be very happy with maple syrup, unless someone is from Vermont :) We once brought a whole can to someone from Australia in exchange for Australian sweets. Everybody was extremely happy !

Golden syrup is an extremely commun UK condiment. It’s very sweet, thick, honey coloured but it has a distinctive taste.

I’m also from Qc. I’m sure your FE group would be very happy with maple syrup, unless someone is from Vermont :) We once brought a whole can to someone from Australia in exchange for Australian sweets. Everybody was extremely happy !

Nice to virtually meet other people from QC!

Vermont maple syrup is good but not as good as Medium syrup from a small family-owned shack. DH receives 8 cans every year from his parents at Easter and it’s the best syrup! I always bring a can to my American friends when we visit. They always think it’s funny that the syrup is in a big can and not a bottle. For my FE I will probably buy a cute little bottle shaped as a maple leaf.

Golden Eagle Syrup is a unique blend of corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar syrup, cane molasses and pure honey. It is this unique blend that makes Golden Eagle a syrup without any equal for any meal. Whether it is enjoyed with pancakes at breakfast, or baked into a pecan pie for dessert, Golden Eagle has — and will continue to have — a place at every table.

YES!!!!!!! :)
(At least if they’re anything like me.)

Nice to virtually meet other people from QC!

Vermont maple syrup is good but not as good as Medium syrup from a small family-owned shack.
No need to convince me. Probably like you, QC maple syrup runs through my veins. We grew up on the stuff, at the time when it was not as expensive. We also get our yearly delivery from a family production and go to the shack at least once a year. But people from Vermont usually are convinced that theirs is better than ours...

Golden Eagle Syrup is a unique blend of corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar syrup, cane molasses and pure honey. It is this unique blend that makes Golden Eagle a syrup without any equal for any meal. Whether it is enjoyed with pancakes at breakfast, or baked into a pecan pie for dessert, Golden Eagle has — and will continue to have — a place at every table.
That’s an american product. I was talking about the UK staple which is definitely not the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup
It’s my best guest concerning what OP was writing about since Magic restocks in Dover. Golden syrup is as common in the UK as maple syrup in Quebec, ketchup in the US or tajin in Mexico.

Local maple syrup producers in our area sell tiny little bottles of pure maple syrup at all sort of local markets & fairs, and I've learned to buy some specifically to bring on trips with us. We don't like any sort of "pancake" syrup--we want the real deal. :)

Do sailings out of the U.S. have regular Maple Syrup? (I'm even fine with the fake/imitation kind... just not that thick honey paste they gave us in Europe.) If I need to wait 2 years for my Mickey waffle, I want to enjoy my Mickey waffle. :)

Do sailings out of the U.S. have regular Maple Syrup? (I'm even fine with the fake/imitation kind... just not that thick honey paste they gave us in Europe.) If I need to wait 2 years for my Mickey waffle, I want to enjoy my Mickey waffle. :)
They didn't have individual servings of syrup on our cruises (out of US ports). They have a syrup pitcher on the counter where the pancakes/waffles are. As far as I can remember, it's a maple-type syrup, not sure if it's true maple, however. This isn't a great picture, but the little dipping sauce bowl at the top of the plate has syrup in it. I prefer to put my butter on first before adding syrup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter