Stowaways onboard the 2016 EBPC - TR update 11/4, p.24

We first took some very precarious roads up to La Popa Ministry

I remember this road only too well. My reaction was that having to drive up this has the potential to make you religious.

I love this courtyard.

David very kindly helped me avoid some local sellers. They were very pushy about selling their wares.

That is interesting that they were also targeting smaller groups. We had been told that they pretty much only target the tour buses.

Corinna

I remember this road only too well. My reaction was that having to drive up this has the potential to make you religious.

:laughing: it was quite scary in parts!

I love this courtyard.

It was so beautiful. Was there an animal when you went? I kept remembering something that wasn't there when we went.

That is interesting that they were also targeting smaller groups. We had been told that they pretty much only target the tour buses.

Corinna

I have been to many places in Central and South America and this was the worst.

Cartagena continued:

After La Popa Ministry we continued our tour past a fort. We did not go inside but Dora had our van driver, Pillar, stop and park and we could go out and take pictures if we wanted. Immediately locals swarmed the van trying to sell stuff. I decided to stay in the van and look from safety.

This was an important person, but I have no idea who it is.

I was fascinated by these walls

Then we stopped for a shopping trip. We only had a short time which was disappointing, but I found I was even more disappointed that I didn’t bring more money, there were so many beautiful things I wanted to buy. I purposefully didn’t bring my credit card because I didn’t want to be tempted to spend too much. That served it’s purpose but I had regrets.

I did end up with some gorgeous earrings that mom did some excellent price negotiations for, something that I hate doing.

Treasure in hand we found the others back at the van and we headed somewhere else. This must have been when we started our walking tour. Dora kept us entertained the whole time, telling us about what we were passing and life in Colombia. At no point was it boring or unpleasant, the whole day was fabulous.

I do not know why both of us took pictures of this

Inside was absolutely gorgeous

I felt very strange walking over this floor

These doors were very impressive

I think Dora tried to get us into a museum but it was closed for the day so we turned right back out

Mom just had to have her picture with this statue

These balconies were very cool

There were all these neat details everywhere

This just might be the coolest door knocker ever!

I think this was a restaurant we walked into

We stopped in a chocolate shop

Where I had a yummy tasting

More awesome statues

I must admit to never having seen holy bones before and was totally fascinated that this gentleman was on display.

Then we continued on our tour. Karin had seen a Pandora shop and Dora was accommodating to stop. Dora was very easy going and relaxed which made for a very comfortable day.

Dora wanted us to see this fancy hotel. I’m not sure why but it was worth seeing

Mom remembered we had a stowaway that needed a picture!

It was a beautiful display

Pillar was around the corner to pick us up

We all had requested a stop at a grocery store on the way back to the ship. I think mom might have instigated the request but everyone was happy to stop which was nice. Again, Dora was totally fine with the deviation of the plan.

I thought this was pretty

And all too soon we were back at the port and our magnificent tour was complete. I can’t remember had we paid Dora at the beginning and we tipped at the end or was all money given at the end? Karin, do you remember? Suddenly we looked around and our friends had all disappeared. Later we found out they had looked around and we had disappeared. Too funny.

Here are some more pictures of the port area, it was very nice.

Mom and I shared a green mango slushie. It was magnificent!

And here was where I really needed my credit card, because there was a store with all sorts of fabulous items including beautiful jewelry. I found presents for people at home and had to have some new pretty things for myself. Mom had been to Colombia years ago and had bought a necklace that had been stolen during a house robbery at her boyfriend’s. She found a very similar necklace at the port and I had to get it for her. So, I left mom with the pile of items we would be buying and I hiked back to the room. It was sooooo hot! But I quickly made it there and back. Of course I took more pictures on the way.

Walking back to the store

I retrieved mom, bought all our treasures, and headed back to the ship. This contraption looked quite scary.

They had a tent set up with refreshments

It was good to be back on the ship after such a full day.

We were super hungry so up to the room and then further up to the pool area. I recorded that we were back in the room at 4:04. We did so much it felt like we were out much longer than that.

Mom had a veggie burger and fries

And I found out they had gluten free buns so made myself a delicious veggie sandwich

Looks like I also got a drink of the day

We ran into David and Kimberly while we were getting food and that’s where I found out they also thought we disappeared when we got to the port. I’m sure you don’t remember but we hadn’t decided what to do on Cozumel day. We were going back and forth with staying on the ship or maybe going to Chankanaab. Well David and Kimberly invited us to join them at Chankanaab, and that was all we needed to help us decide what to do. They were such good company we knew we’d have fun. Spoiler alert, we did!

Yummy lunch complete we headed down to the Promenade Deck to watch us leave port

We skipped the show of the night and just relaxed down there for a while. It was lovely.

I can’t remember had we paid Dora at the beginning and we tipped at the end or was all money given at the end? Karin, do you remember? Suddenly we looked around and our friends had all disappeared.

I think we paid and tipped at the same time. But not really sure.
I remember the disappearing ............... LOL

Ah, thanks for the memories. That was one cool tour. We were really lucky with Dora and we can wholeheartedly recommend her, can't we?

I see lots of my bodyparts in your pics. :rotfl2: Sorry if I walked into them all the time.

I don't know why I had a memory of a sloth. So bizarre.

It is a amazing how the brain works. You were spot on with the itinerary, but wrong on the year and the port. We encountered the sloth on our first Panama Canal cruise in 2011 in Costa Rica. We visited Cartagena during our second Panama Canal cruise in 2014.

After La Popa Ministry we continued our tour past a fort. We did not go inside but Dora had our van driver, Pillar, stop and park and we could go out and take pictures if we wanted.

That was a wise decision. I only took photos from the ground level, but some of our group had gone up and they reported back that there are steep hills and numerous stairs.

Then we stopped for a shopping trip. We only had a short time which was disappointing, but I found I was even more disappointed that I didn’t bring more money, there were so many beautiful things I wanted to buy.

I liked this little shopping area. What a shame that you did not have enough time.

I did end up with some gorgeous earrings that mom did some excellent price negotiations for, something that I hate doing.

I love those earrings. I got a piece of raw emerald in the same market and had it set into a pendant by Kythryne.

I think Dora tried to get us into a museum but it was closed for the day so we turned right back out

If it is the museum I think it may have been, then this was a blessing.

It looks like you visited a lot of the same places we did. Unfortunately we only saw the courtyard of the first church. I would have loved to go inside, but we did visit the second church.

Here are some more pictures of the port area, it was very nice.

I initially thought you may have docked at a different port. Looks like they spend some money on that area. There was nothing there in 2014.

Mom had been to Colombia years ago and had bought a necklace that had been stolen during a house robbery at her boyfriend’s. She found a very similar necklace at the port and I had to get it for her.

That is nice that you were able to replace the necklace for your mom.

I’m sure you don’t remember but we hadn’t decided what to do on Cozumel day. We were going back and forth with staying on the ship or maybe going to Chankanaab. Well David and Kimberly invited us to join them at Chankanaab, and that was all we needed to help us decide what to do.

That is great that you ended up getting to visit one of my favourite places in the world. I am looking forward to reading about what you made of Chankanaab.

Corinna

I think we paid and tipped at the same time. But not really sure.

That's what I'm leaning towards but can't really remember.

I remember the disappearing ............... LOL

Too funny!

Ah, thanks for the memories. That was one cool tour. We were really lucky with Dora and we can wholeheartedly recommend her, can't we?

Absolutely, she was fantastic!!!

I see lots of my bodyparts in your pics. :rotfl2: Sorry if I walked into them all the time.

I like to see other people in the photo :) helps me remember who was where :)

It is a amazing how the brain works. You were spot on with the itinerary, but wrong on the year and the port. We encountered the sloth on our first Panama Canal cruise in 2011 in Costa Rica. We visited Cartagena during our second Panama Canal cruise in 2014.

Ahhhh, my mind wasn't completely making up things. :laughing: Its funny how I mixed up those trips though. I distinctly remembered seeing that courtyard with a sloth.

That was a wise decision. I only took photos from the ground level, but some of our group had gone up and they reported back that there are steep hills and numerous stairs.

I wasn't leaving the safety of the van if I couldn't go in the fort.

I liked this little shopping area. What a shame that you did not have enough time.

Hopefully there will be a next time and I will make sure to take more money.

I love those earrings. I got a piece of raw emerald in the same market and had it set into a pendant by Kythryne.

There was a matching necklace and I hated not having money to get it we well.

If it is the museum I think it may have been, then this was a blessing.

Oh my!

It looks like you visited a lot of the same places we did. Unfortunately we only saw the courtyard of the first church. I would have loved to go inside, but we did visit the second church.

Everything was so beautiful.

I initially thought you may have docked at a different port. Looks like they spend some money on that area. There was nothing there in 2014.

They really made it nice. I was very impressed with the port.

That is nice that you were able to replace the necklace for your mom.

A picture of the necklace will come in the next update.

She was so exited to find it I had to get it for her.

That is great that you ended up getting to visit one of my favourite places in the world. I am looking forward to reading about what you made of Chankanaab.

Corinna

We LOVED it!!!

That zoo at the port area looked very nice. How great to wind up on a tour with Karin and Tom!

I remember Corinna commenting about how the locals were very pushy about selling their wares, and also that the road up to your first destination was quite scary. Everything looked beautiful. It's amazing how different the scenery, churches, architecture and all look than in America. Nice that you were able to get some jewelry near the port and all.

That seemed like a very long day, I would have thought you would have been back much later than 4PM. I would have been starving too! I am sooooo looking forward to our next cruise. I wish I was going on the PC cruise this year, but we're being responsible adults and using our money wisely. ((((sigh))))

That zoo at the port area looked very nice.

I was surprised how many animals they had, and it was very nicely laid out.

How great to wind up on a tour with Karin and Tom!

It was so much fun!!!

I remember Corinna commenting about how the locals were very pushy about selling their wares, and also that the road up to your first destination was quite scary.

They were the pushiest I've ever encountered, very unpleasant.

Everything looked beautiful. It's amazing how different the scenery, churches, architecture and all look than in America.

It really was beautiful. I love the different colors they use on the buildings.

Nice that you were able to get some jewelry near the port and all.

I'll post some pictures with the next update.

That seemed like a very long day, I would have thought you would have been back much later than 4PM. I would have been starving too!

I was surprised when I was reading the journal after looking at all we did. I completely forgot when we got back to the ship.

I am sooooo looking forward to our next cruise.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I wish I was going on the PC cruise this year, but we're being responsible adults and using our money wisely. ((((sigh))))

I do NOT like being responsible when it comes to vacations!

Well everyone, I am VERY excited to share that I was offered a new job today :cool1: I have been actively looking since March and am so thankful to be blessed with this opportunity. It is back in a similar role as I did in Baltimore and will be consistent work with no on call. I am so thankful. They are being very flexible and letting me stay in my current job until going on vacation and I will start the new job when I get back. I of course had to ask how they deal with vacations and my new boss likes the more advance notice the better. That's what I'm used to! This promises to be a much better fit.

Yay! :banana: So glad to hear it! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

So do you know what your schedule will be once you start? :hyper: Can we pencil in some meet up dates for my upcoming trip?

Yay! :banana: So glad to hear it! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

So do you know what your schedule will be once you start? :hyper: Can we pencil in some meet up dates for my upcoming trip?

Thank you so much!!!!!

He does the schedule 5 weeks in advance, so I should know once I start what I'll be working, but every week is different. I'll only be working 3 days a week so will hopefully get over several times.

OMG Pamela - that is the best news EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jumping1: :jumping1: :jumping1:

Tom and I are so happy for you. Even more to celebrate when we get together in 33 days. party:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter