Stowaways onboard the 2016 EBPC - TR update 11/4, p.24

This I don't understand. They know people love to buy the special merchandise. When they don't offer it I feel they're just losing money....

There was so much more Alaskan merchandise, wasn't it? We wondered if they had sold out on the PC pins and things, but it would sure have been nice if they had had some more things. Tom got a baseball cap and we got some of the pins, but I was so not impressed with that cruise's specific merchandise.

LOVE the updates - sorry I have not been around much, but work is CRAZYYYYYYYYYYY!!! So many people are sick and I do a lot more hours than I should have to.
AND I have done a bit of planning for the summer - counting on you and JJ to be there too!!!!!!!!!

No, they don't. We just purchased our business class seats for our cruise in May and that wasn't an option. We've found in the past, though, that if you ask at check in, they'll accommodate your request if the seats are available.

The seats are assigned in business class, but it doesn't happen until you check in at the station. Be first in line....and you will get your pick.

Excellent, thank you both so much for this info!

There was so much more Alaskan merchandise, wasn't it? We wondered if they had sold out on the PC pins and things, but it would sure have been nice if they had had some more things. Tom got a baseball cap and we got some of the pins, but I was so not impressed with that cruise's specific merchandise.

I agree, I wasn't impressed with the choices. I like what we got, but I would have bought more if there had been more to buy :laughing:

LOVE the updates - sorry I have not been around much, but work is CRAZYYYYYYYYYYY!!! So many people are sick and I do a lot more hours than I should have to.

Oh wow, that does not sound fun, I'm sorry :hug:

Thanks so much for reading when you have time :)

AND I have done a bit of planning for the summer - counting on you and JJ to be there too!!!!!!!!!

We wouldn't miss it for the world!

There was so much more Alaskan merchandise, wasn't it?

I can tell you that they definitely made far too much Alaska merchandise. As well as Star Wars Day at Sea and New York cruises merchandise. Both in December and now in February the Disney outlets were full with that. Did not see any Panama Canal stuff there ever though. Not in the past either (I know that Michael, my boyfriend, would have picked up stuff from the Panama Canal if he saw it and he lives pretty close to one of the Disney outlets, so visits regularly).

Sorry I left mid-update last time. I was called in to work and it’s been so crazy I haven’t had a chance to get back on here.

I left off with us oogling the gorgeous rock formations while leaving Cabo San Lucas. It was very interesting to hear the captain make an announcement that the last guests were joining us on the tender boats while he was moving the ship around. I had no idea the tender boats could do anything while the ship was moving. When we were out of port we started heading down to the Promenade Deck to read our books, but when we got to our deck we decided to just go and read in the room. We relaxed for about an hour and also got cleaned up. I had Alice in Wonderland the cartoon on in the background while I got ready, and then we went to the Sean Farquhar show in the Walt Disney Theater.

The show was absolutely fantastic, I couldn’t believe some of the tricks he did! We enjoyed all the shows this trip, and I’m glad we made the effort to go to most of them. I think the only ones we skipped were the Disney ones that we’d seen several times before.

We headed to Palo for dinner about 6:55. I’m not sure if I mentioned that they had started a Frozen chocolate hunt today. They posted the clues in the Navigator and you had to go to the place the clues described to find a picture of something related to Frozen. It went on several days and when you had all the answers you were given a present. Today was the first day and we went past the places the clues directed us to on the way to Palo. It was cute.

Gonzolo welcomed us by name, that of course made us feel extra special. We were immediately taken to our table by Leo our server. He treated us like queens. He is from India and mom grew up in India, so had lots of fun talking to him about places they both knew.

I’m not sure what the refurbishment did to Palo but I’m looking forward to seeing what they did.

It was very empty that night, I think maybe 4 other tables the whole time we were there.

We had an amazing meal as usual.

Started with the antipasta, we leave off the meat and peppers

Mom had the usual bread service

And they kindly made me gluten free garlic bread, it was so yummy!

Mom had the caprese salad as her appetizer

Leo brought her the gnocchi as well since she had commented how much she liked them

And the chef made me grilled calamari. It was cooked a bit too long and was chewy, not to mention a gigantic proportion.

Then our lovely palate cleanser

Mom had the mushroom polenta which she says is absolutely amazing

Leo also brought mom the risotto, which she also loves

I had ordered the tuna, and specifically asked for no red, I don’t care for it undercooked. I know tuna is best eaten a little underdone but it’s not how I like it. Sometimes chefs have their own feeling of what should be done though…

I couldn’t eat it, the pink part was way too tough to chew.

I asked for potatoes from another dish and they happily did that for me. They were fabulous.

Leo saw I wasn’t enjoying the tuna and offered to recook it for me. I didn’t want them to throw it away but I think that’s exactly what they did because I got a whole new dish. Much better cooked and I ate almost all of it. So yummy.

For dessert mom had the new amaretto soufflé, she said it was amazing!

And they were able to make me a gluten free soufflé. This is the best soufflé I have ever had.

For the special drink they made mom one without apple because she’s allergic, and for the first time I tried the alcoholic one. It was unpleasant, much too strong.

We were not bursting for the first time ever and left thinking we’d probably book another dinner but didn’t know when. Dinner was done about 9:15, so still early in the evening. Peter the cruise director had been saying how funny the adult entertainment of the evening was, a man named Wayne Cotter. There were two shows, 9:45 and 10:45 and since we had some time after dinner we decided to check it out. I also wanted to watch Cool Runnings on the Funnel Vision which started at 10pm. If Wayne Cotter wasn’t too funny we’d leave early, but if it was then we’d go to Cool Runnings late. Well he was beyond our expectations and we were both laughing out loud the whole time.

We stayed until the end and then made the exhaustive walk up to Deck 9 to the Funnel Vision. Mom was the tired one and I’m the one who ended up falling asleep during the movie. Too funny. We've seen that movie countless times so it was ok.

We very slowly made our way back to the room and fell asleep almost immediately. I had to catch up in the journal the next day.

It was an awesome day!

Last edited:
I can tell you that they definitely made far too much Alaska merchandise. As well as Star Wars Day at Sea and New York cruises merchandise. Both in December and now in February the Disney outlets were full with that. Did not see any Panama Canal stuff there ever though. Not in the past either (I know that Michael, my boyfriend, would have picked up stuff from the Panama Canal if he saw it and he lives pretty close to one of the Disney outlets, so visits regularly).

I have found some awesome stuff at the outlet at Premium Outlets. Karin and Tom told me about it and I've found some awesome treasures!

On a totally separate note, I was so disappointed that they didn't post a TA for next September :( Have you heard anything?

I have found some awesome stuff at the outlet at Premium Outlets. Karin and Tom told me about it and I've found some awesome treasures!

The outlets are really great! There are actually two stores in Orlando. I love reading this Blog on www.touringplans.com: The Magic, The Memories, and Merch! He posts once a month about his recent finds at the outlets and is quite amusing. At the end of the blog he explains about the different stores.

On a totally separate note, I was so disappointed that they didn't post a TA for next September :( Have you heard anything?

I think the WBTA has always been posted with the fall cruises. So, hopefully we should hear more in May. At least the last three years, fall cruises were first announced in late May. Of course, summer 2018 was announced earlier than previous years. Not much, but a couple of weeks. My bet would be that it will be some time after Easter until the end of May. Of course with the Magic ending their European season with a British Isles cruise in September 2018, my bet would be the the WBTA will leave from Dover and go to NYC. Maybe even visiting Iceland en route. Not really my kind of TA itinerary to be honest. I rather want a chance for warm weather...

It was very interesting to hear the captain make an announcement that the last guests were joining us on the tender boats while he was moving the ship around. I had no idea the tender boats could do anything while the ship was moving.

I did not know this either. I would have thought that this is a health and safety nightmare.

And they kindly made me gluten free garlic bread, it was so yummy!

That looks good.

Mom had the mushroom polenta which she says is absolutely amazing

I could live on this dish. I love it so much.

For dessert mom had the new amaretto soufflé, she said it was amazing!

I think I would really like this.

And they were able to make me a gluten free soufflé. This is the best soufflé I have ever had.

Wow, that is amazing that they were able to do this and it does look delicious.

Corinna

The outlets are really great! There are actually two stores in Orlando. I love reading this Blog on www.touringplans.com: The Magic, The Memories, and Merch! He posts once a month about his recent finds at the outlets and is quite amusing. At the end of the blog he explains about the different stores.

How fun! I have to keep myself away from there, I spend way too much money when I go. I think my biggest treasure so far is a leather DCL Star Wars satchel marked down to $99 from $300. I wanted it so badly on the cruise but couldn't pay $300 for it.

I think the WBTA has always been posted with the fall cruises. So, hopefully we should hear more in May. At least the last three years, fall cruises were first announced in late May. Of course, summer 2018 was announced earlier than previous years. Not much, but a couple of weeks. My bet would be that it will be some time after Easter until the end of May. Of course with the Magic ending their European season with a British Isles cruise in September 2018, my bet would be the the WBTA will leave from Dover and go to NYC. Maybe even visiting Iceland en route. Not really my kind of TA itinerary to be honest. I rather want a chance for warm weather...

Ooohhhh, so there's still hope! I currently have the British Isles cruise booked and automatically thought they'd post all of September at once. I would not want to end up in NYC, hopefully they won't do that. I'm playing around with another PC in my mind, since it's nice and warm and flights are cheaper for us. Always fun to dream of the next vacation!

I did not know this either. I would have thought that this is a health and safety nightmare.

I know I would not have wanted to be on one of those tender boats...

That looks good.

They were soft and yummy, perfectly cooked. So yummy.

I could live on this dish. I love it so much.

So could mom, she looks forward to it every time.

I think I would really like this.

She said it was fabulous.

Wow, that is amazing that they were able to do this and it does look delicious.

Corinna

I was very pleasantly surprised, it was so good. They told me if we give them warning ahead of time that we were coming back they could make me more things.

Inhad no idea they could move the ship whilst loading tenders either!
Glad the Sean Farquhar show was good.

Oh yummy Palo. Nice they did garlic gluten free bread. Nice photo of Mom. Oh my pink tuna no thanks! This is actually dangerous to me because of bacteria. I am delighted they did gluten free souffle for ypu.

How fun the Frozen chocolate hunt!

That Wayne guy sounded funny. Love funnel vision lol re fallimg asleep. I love the dino towel animal. What a nice update. Thanks Pam.

Inhad no idea they could move the ship whilst loading tenders either!

I don't know how they do it, but I don't think I'd want to be on one of those tenders!

Glad the Sean Farquhar show was good.

It really was.

Oh yummy Palo. Nice they did garlic gluten free bread.

I look forward to that again! It was really top notch.

Nice photo of Mom.

She's so cute :)

Oh my pink tuna no thanks! This is actually dangerous to me because of bacteria.

I literally couldn't chew it. I don't know how people eat it like that...

I am delighted they did gluten free souffle for ypu.

That was literally the icing on the cake of the evening, so yummy!

How fun the Frozen chocolate hunt!

They were fun with the extras this cruise.

That Wayne guy sounded funny.

He was hilarious and completely unexpected.

Love funnel vision lol re fallimg asleep. I love the dino towel animal. What a nice update. Thanks Pam.

I was disappointed I fell asleep. This will happen again unfortunately.

I love seeing all of your gluten free meals. Not a ton of allergy/special diets trip reports on here, so this makes me want to try DCL even more for that yummy food :)

I love seeing all of your gluten free meals. Not a ton of allergy/special diets trip reports on here, so this makes me want to try DCL even more for that yummy food :)

They are so accommodating it's fantastic. I think I forgot to say on this TR, but in the main dining rooms they have me order dinner the night before. They'll give you the next nights menu and ask what you'd like and will make it gluten free. Some nights there was nothing I liked on the menu so I asked for pretty much a personalized meal, they did it whenever I asked, no problems. You can also pre order breakfast and lunch as well, I only did breakfast once because they want to know what time you'll be eating. We don't like to be held to too strict a schedule in the mornings and I could find lots of stuff to eat on the regular menu.

I hope you try DCL, it's an amazing vacation :)

Day 5

Today was Puerta Vallerta day but again we had no plans to get off the ship so slept in. We woke up at 9:30 but because the clocks went forward again it was 10:30, we had missed breakfast. No matter, we would get lunch when they opened. Mom went upstairs for some coffee and lounged in the sun in the QC while I got ready. Our plans were to watch several movies and just relax. I watched Bambi while I got ready and then found mom in the QC reading her book in the sun.

The Mexican flag was beautiful in port

It was beastly hot so I sat in the shade and journaled a bit until we were ready to get some lunch. We were going to go see Alice Through the Looking Glass and take lunch down with us. We loaded up our trays in BBB and then headed down to the movie.

My plate

Mom’s

And some desserts

I think mom said this baklava was fantastic. It certainly looks quite good

I thought I was safe with some puddlings only to discover cookies at the bottom. I have sadly learned my lesson and will ask the chefs first before getting any desserts in BBB

Alice Through the Looking Glass was absolutely fantastic, we both loved it! Then it was immediately upstairs to the Funnel Vision to see the tween movie, Descendants. I was a bit skeptical but mom had read something about it in one of the Disney magazines and I must say I really really enjoyed it. It was cute and surprisingly well done. It started at 3pm and we got there exactly when it started, timing couldn’t have been more perfect.

After the movie it was 4:52 and I think we had started leaving port. Mom got a few pictures of the flag while we left.

I went and filled up our water and soda bottles and joined mom back in the QC. We swam a bit and I ordered another Konk Kooler.

I never get tired of seeing these views

We didn’t stay long because we went and saw the Heath Hyche show at 6:15. It was funny but not as funny as the other shows we’d seen so far. Terrible picture but it reminds me what we did.

Then back up to the room where we got cleaned up for dinner. Great elephant towel animal!

And Sebastian was having fun with the previous dinosaur

Had Lady and the Tramp on in the background while we got ready. We were going to go to Donald’s Dance Party at 7:30 but when we were heading out we heard the Captain say he had just seen dolphins portside so we rushed down to the Promenade Deck to look for them.

And did see some! Almost not worth posting but I was pleased I even got a little bit of fin on camera.

We stayed until 8pm hoping to see more dolphins but they had moved on. We had a little time so went and found our chocolate hunt clues before dinner at Tritons. I took pictures to remind me what we found.

A guitar at the Walt Disney Theater

Chocolates at Mickey’s Mates

And rock trolls at Animator’s Palate

Last edited:
We knew we would be having dinner alone because our tablemates would be at Palo. We were pleased to say the least. We looked for Karin and Tom when we got there but they hadn’t arrived yet. As we were asking our server if he had seen them, they arrived. We chatted for a bit and when they saw we were dining alone they invited us to join them. We couldn’t have been more thrilled. You might say that night started a trend.

Mom started with the French onion soup for her first course

And I had a bib lettuce salad without the goat cheese crusted bread

Mom had the salad the regular way as her second course

I skipped the second course and had an amazing pasta creation of olives and artichokes with a garlic lemon sauce. It was fantastic!

Mom had the vegetable pasta from the menu. I think she liked it but can’t quite remember and didn’t write either way

For dessert mom had the grand marnier soufflé

And I had a strawberry sundae

A fabulous meal with fabulous company, such a lovely evening. Tom was showing us his beautiful new watch when I noticed the time was 10:16! We had been hoping to see our third movie of the day, Maleficent, up on the Funnel Vision that night. We parted company and even though we were late to the movie mom and I braved the stairs. We were still only using the stairs. Good thing too because we were eating a lot of delicious food.

It was perfect weather for the movie, hot and breezy. I managed to stay awake this time. We’d seen it before but really enjoy it, and there’s just something about watching a movie with the stairs above you while cruising along the water. So magical.

After the movie there was a lightning storm. It was beautiful. I tried to get a few photos but it didn’t quite work.

I took some pictures on the way back to the room

And our lovely door. It has birthday magnets because we were unofficially celebrating mom’s 60th birthday this trip even though her birthday is in March.

We got back to the room about 12:15am. We had Lion King on while falling asleep, and I managed to catch up in the journal. It was such a great day.

Last edited:
Fran and I always end up skipping the shows. She usually needs a nap. Maybe I should go try them sometime when she is asleep.

I'm so envious of your Palo meal even if you didn't get my favorites. So nice that they made you gluten free versions of all your favorites. I love my Tina cooked that way, but like Polly, Fran can't eat it either. She need all of her fish to be cooked.

I love that Amaretto Souffle as well! Sounds like you had a fun day.

:flower:Just found your TR and caught up. We are booked on the EBPC this October and I am really enjoying reading about your trip. Your photos are fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

Bambi the movie makes me cry!

Oh my re the cookies hidden in the base of your dessert treats. You wouldn't suspect.

How nice to catch funnel vision and a movie in the theatre. Great photos leaving the port.

I love the look of that konk kooler.

So cute that eleohant. Dolphins what a treat!

Nice to have Karin and Tom join you. Dinner looks nice. Yummy sundae.

Great photos of the ship. How cute those door magnets for Mom's 60th! Sounds like a special day. Who needs to get off this floating hotel?

Fran and I always end up skipping the shows. She usually needs a nap. Maybe I should go try them sometime when she is asleep.

Oh yes, they're quite fun! If things work that one day we all cruise together we will happily enjoy your company for showtime!

I'm so envious of your Palo meal even if you didn't get my favorites. So nice that they made you gluten free versions of all your favorites. I love my Tina cooked that way, but like Polly, Fran can't eat it either. She need all of her fish to be cooked.

It was such a yummy meal, I'm looking forward to the next one! I think we're about 6 months to go. Oh my, that sounds like ages!

I love that Amaretto Souffle as well! Sounds like you had a fun day.

Since we had just seen you and you'd said how yummy it was mom had to try it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter