Stowaways onboard the 2016 EBPC - TR update 11/4, p.24

Wow! You're obviously NOT from Southern California! You WALKED?????? :rotfl2:

Looks like you saw some nice sights along the way. If we take the cruise next year, I'm wondering what will be the best way to get there. We might consider renting a car, so much to think about!

Checking in.

They look precious in that photo.

The cruise was leaving out of San Diego but the flights there were outrageous, in my opinion at least. So I booked us to fly into Orange County, John Wayne Airport. Renting a car and driving down saved us several hundred dollars versus flying into San Diego.

That is crazy that San Diego is so much more expensive.

Well, 9 days before the trip my waitlist came through!

Talk about last minute. I am glad that this worked out for you.

Once I knew we would be staying in the area I quickly asked Alison if she and Fran could have lunch or dinner the one day we’d be there, and thankfully they were able to.

Great that you managed to meet up.

Also, we were able to try a sideways stateroom for the first time, and we were both excited about that.

That is a bonus. We had multiple cruises on both the Magic and the Wonder in 6521 and loved it.

The boys would be staying with my brother and sister in law while we were gone. Since they are rescues I do not feel comfortable putting them in a kennel. Rambo was quite traumatized by his ordeal at the shelter and Melanie, my SIL, is happy to watch them for me.

That worked out great.

Oh yay, the aliens are back.

I had originally booked the car for $60 for the day, but shortly before the trip the price dropped to $31 for the day.

That is a nice saving.

Mom was given a birthday button. This was unofficially her 60th birthday celebration even though her birthday was back in March.

Please which your mom a belated happy birthday from me.

I found out this trip the lamps were actually specially made by Tiffany for the GC. I thought that was a fabulous tidbit.

That is really neat.

We didn't get off at Puerto Vallarta or Cabo.

What a shame. They are two of our favourite ports.

Our key cards would not let us in the back gate, so we had to go all the way around to the front gate where our key cards did work.

That seems strange.

That looks delicious.

Needless to say we each had one. Mom had a hazelnut one, and mine was raspberry and cream. I seem to have been remiss and not taken a picture of mine before it was devoured… They were magnificent!

I could not have resisted either.

Mom enjoyed what she saw of DTD and is now open to a DL trip in the future. The plan is to go for a few days after our Alaska trip next year.

That is good news.

They did that to me when we stayed at Vero Beach last year. Sent me a bill for using the sun pass. I was not anywhere near the airport on the day they said I was, we were still at Vero Beach... Thankfully they dropped the charges. Very bizarre though.

This is the second time recently that I read this.

If we do the EBPC it leaves a full 2 months later than yours did.

This year's was extremely early as the Wonder had to get to Cadiz to go into dry dock.

It was not very organized at the port.

That is why I have been dragging my heels on a Mexican Riviera cruise for next year. I think we will do another Royal Caribbean cruise instead.

What I never found out was that the rental car return was not directly at the airport, you had to take a bus to the actual airport, and from there you could get a bus or taxi to the port.

That sounds complicated. The walk did look very nice.

Corinna

Great pics, only 325 ( I think) days for us. Our initial plans were to fly into Los Angeles & hire a car, & do the drop off like you, so glad it worked well. It didn't look like it'd be a bad walk. Flying into San Diego now & hotel has a shuttle, we still plan to walk along the seafront though

The seafront was lovely, I wished mom was with me, she would have loved it. It was a very easy trip from the rental car return to the port. We'll have to do something similar next year after our Alaska cruise. Not sure how easy it will be going the opposite way, but I've heard horror stories of people trying to get taxi's.

Your plans are going to be much more convenient.

Loving the trip report, hope the stowaways wern't too naughty whilst your Mum was in sole charge.

When mom is involved they get into a lot of trouble :laughing:

I love that first sight of that iconic black hull.. There is my Disney home for the next so many glorious nights.

I know, seeing the ship for the first time of the trip is seriously magical :)

I am pleased you took the first gas offer! Oh my that price hike.

I couldn't believe it! :faint:

Your walk paid of in spades. Look at the sights you saw. That submarine. My Dad went on one in Austraila visuting my Aunt and loved it.

If we had more time I would have loved to go on that submarine.

The Star of Indian is a beatiful ship. Great photos!

Thank you :)

Can't wait for next update. Getting onboard!

Just thinking about it makes me excited :hyper:

Wow! You're obviously NOT from Southern California! You WALKED?????? :rotfl2:

I didn't want to waste time finding another form of transportation :laughing: I wanted to get to that ship!!! :hyper:

Looks like you saw some nice sights along the way. If we take the cruise next year, I'm wondering what will be the best way to get there. We might consider renting a car, so much to think about!

Could you offer a friend some money to drop you off so you don't have to worry about getting back to the port. I know it's a bit of a drive but the car rental would cost money too. Would you go the morning of, or the night before?

Checking in.

Welcome! Glad you're here :)

They look precious in that photo.

Thank you :)

That is crazy that San Diego is so much more expensive.

I thought it was very strange. It was at least a $300 savings to fly into John Wayne Airport.

Talk about last minute. I am glad that this worked out for you.

I couldn't believe it, and was so pleased!

Great that you managed to meet up.

I was so glad everything worked out.

That is a bonus. We had multiple cruises on both the Magic and the Wonder in 6521 and loved it.

We loved the sideways layout. I had remembered you and Graham did also which was a big help.

That worked out great.

I am very fortunate she is happy to watch them. I drive up to Maryland on Tuesday and she will watch them again while we're at Disney.

Oh yay, the aliens are back.

They were a prominent part of this trip :teeth:

That is a nice saving.

I was so pleased. I'll keep checking the Hawaii rental to see if it drops as well.

Please which your mom a belated happy birthday from me.

I most certainly will, thank you :)

What a shame. They are two of our favourite ports.

At first I really wanted to do one of the excursions you usually do, but since it was a short day it wasn't offered. I think it was at PV?

That seems strange.

I agree, why wouldn't all the gates open?

That looks delicious.

It was fabulous guacamole. popcorn::

I could not have resisted either.

Mom is still talking about those macaroons popcorn::

That is good news.

I'm very excited to show her DL. Then hopefully in 2018 DLP :cool1:

This is the second time recently that I read this.

It was beyond bizarre. It seemed like a scam because if you're not paying attention to the dates and just pay the fine they'll be collecting lots of money from people...

That is why I have been dragging my heels on a Mexican Riviera cruise for next year. I think we will do another Royal Caribbean cruise instead.

It didn't take too long, but she had to go ask a porter what was going on. At that point they were happy to take the bags...

That sounds complicated. The walk did look very nice.

Corinna

It was way too complicated. I was happy to rely on my own legs to get me there instead of going hunting for something else.

I left off with me just getting to the port. I had started my walk at 11:53 and made it back to the port at 12:35. Mom had been sitting in the sun waiting for me, talking to CMs. I can’t express the excitement!!! Reconnected again, we headed into the cruise terminal :hyper:

I guess I was too excited to make sure these pictures weren’t blurry. Sorry.

Through security first and then to the check-in area. There were way too many grumpy faces around us. I wanted to remind them we’re going on a cruise, smile people! I bit my tongue.

Quickly checked in by the lovely CM Kathleen. She told us of a jewelry store she always goes to in Cabo which we intended to go find if we got off the ship. All checked in, with gold lanyards in hand, we headed to the ship.

But then saw Captain Mickey!!!

Mom asked him if he was going cruising with us, I quickly reminded her he was our Captain, of course he was coming! :teeth:

As we got ourselves together I thought I saw Karin and Tom pass us by, but since I wasn’t 100% sure I didn’t call out their names. I should have, it was definitely them.

Excitement barely contained we headed to the ship :hyper:

Introduced as Mom and Pamela, we danced onto our home for the next two weeks. Being on the ship was almost too exciting!

First course of action was to photograph the gorgeous chandelier.

Next up was the very anticipated first lunch of the cruise. Up to Beach Blanket Buffet we went.

My plate

Mom’s

Then some yummy desserts

Mom said this cake was very good

I had some raspberry whipped cream delight

And the top half of this cheesecake

Did I have a second one of these or mom had one? Not sure but a second one landed at our table.

And mom had this, a lemon coconut something. She wasn’t crazy about it, I think it was a little dry.

Overall first lunch was just as good as always anticipated. I wanted to have some fries but they didn’t have any in BBB, apparently they only have the fries out at the QS. I thought that was weird because on the Dream and Fantasy they have giant steak fries at Cabanas as well as the QS place. I would get some fries later, because first we needed to go find our stateroom!

Stateroom 6015 is forward, a sideways layout, and very convenient to the forward elevators. We were very excited to see our home for the next two weeks. I had found pictures online, so we had a pretty good idea of what it would look like, and it was very roomy and comfortable. All our bags had already arrived as well which was fantastic.

You walk into a sideways layout looking at the couch. So just beyond the TV was the door.

The single bathroom is hard to capture in pictures but I gave it a try

And our fabulous Stateroom Host, Teody. He really was fantastic and we were happy to see him every day.

Yeah Pam and Mom party of 2 safely onboard.

It's such a bonus when the sun is shining on the day you board. Lovely photo of you both witn your Captain!

What! Grumpy faces? I want to take that cruise right off those guests and give it to those who would love to cruise but can't afford it! It should be DCL policy. No misery on board.

That blown glass the colours! Wow!

Lunch looks good. No fries? Faint.

Desserts yum!

That is interesting the sideways stateroom. I can see the merits of this layout.

Nice stateroom. I'm always surprised when I see the regular rooms. I'm spoiled by the Accessible ones. I so can't wait to be on another cruise!

Yeah Pam and Mom party of 2 safely onboard.

:cool1:

It's such a bonus when the sun is shining on the day you board. Lovely photo of you both witn your Captain!

Captain Mickey was TOO cute!!!

What! Grumpy faces? I want to take that cruise right off those guests and give it to those who would love to cruise but can't afford it! It should be DCL policy. No misery on board.

I don't know what it was, but I don't like seeing grumpy faces at the beginning of a trip. At the end I can understand it, but at the beginning???

That blown glass the colours! Wow!

It's such a gorgeous chandelier, I haven't brought myself to look and see if they took it down like they did on the Magic.

Lunch looks good. No fries? Faint.

Got to have my fries! popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

Desserts yum!

The best ones were at Palo of course, but BBB turned out some really good desserts this cruise.

That is interesting the sideways stateroom. I can see the merits of this layout.

It was fabulous. We have one for the Alaska cruise also. Really really comfortable.

Nice stateroom. I'm always surprised when I see the regular rooms. I'm spoiled by the Accessible ones. I so can't wait to be on another cruise!

The only one that we've had that comes close to the size of the accessible ones is a forward one on the Fantasy. I was able to rebook it for Mother's Day 2018. :cloud9:

That is great news that you have the sideways config once more for the Alaska cruise. It majes much more sense on the inside cabins to do this. I would prefer it for sure.

Looking forward to hearing if some of those grumpy faces turned into smiles..

I had started my walk at 11:53 and made it back to the port at 12:35.

Looks like you made good time there especially with stopping for photos, too.

I am so going to miss this.

This is the only thing Graham misses on Royal Caribbean. They have no peel and eat shrimp.

I wanted to have some fries but they didn’t have any in BBB, apparently they only have the fries out at the QS.

That is strange as they definitely used to have them at the buffet on the Magic, too.

Corinna

There were way too many grumpy faces around us. I wanted to remind them we’re going on a cruise, smile people! I bit my tongue.

Okay, I confess, I was one of the grumpy faces. I was SO not impressed with the terminal - it reminded me a lot of the one in Barcalona and I still think that one is so NOT magical. Plus we had "met" one of the social media families who we wanted to avoid.

As we got ourselves together I thought I saw Karin and Tom pass us by, but since I wasn’t 100% sure I didn’t call out their names. I should have, it was definitely them.

You should have said something. Now, that would have put that smile back on my face. :)

I will really miss the beautiful chandelier. Why, oh why, are it always the "grand" things they are doing away with.

I remember that stateroom!!!! (sorry, smilies are not working for me today)

And that room too! ;)

I was SO not impressed with the terminal

I did warn you that it was the absolute worst terminal that we had ever sailed out of before. Not that I've done a lot, but I have done San Pedro, Miami, Vancouver and PC.

I did warn you that it was the absolute worst terminal that we had ever sailed out of before. Not that I've done a lot, but I have done San Pedro, Miami, Vancouver and PC.

Alison, I did remember, but it still hit me. It reminded me so much of the one in Barcelona and immediately thoughts about that cruise came to mind, :scared1: and then someone whose face I knew from the social media group, which I had joined, but tried to avoid in person, started to explain things to us. :faint: And "pop" goes the good mood. :rotfl2:

Okay, I confess, I was one of the grumpy faces. I was SO not impressed with the terminal - it reminded me a lot of the one in Barcalona and I still think that one is so NOT magical. Plus we had "met" one of the social media families who we wanted to avoid.
Karin when and where it's your next adventure?

Karin when and where it's your next adventure?

We had an AWESOME summer trip, 5 1/2 weeks of Disney, WDW, DL and a Panama Canal crossing - it was really the trip of a lifetime, which is the title of my TR here. I would love it if you hop on over and join us.

Sorry for hijacking your TR, Pamela, but we have sailed with Linet and her daughter before!

We had an AWESOME summer trip, 5 1/2 weeks of Disney, WDW, DL and a Panama Canal crossing - it was really the trip of a lifetime, which is the title of my TR here. I would love it if you hop on over and join us.

Sorry for hijacking your TR, Pamela, but we have sailed with Linet and her daughter before!

Yes!!! Love your TR Pamela!! Panama Canal it's on my bucket list!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter