Stowaways onboard the 2016 EBPC - TR update 11/4, p.24

Sounds like a lovely dinner with Fran and Alison! And thumbs up for clean bed linens! We once had an incident of no bed linens. And it was quite a battle to have someone come to the room to actually make the bed properly. I did not think that I should have to deal with that sofa bed, which is quite a hassle... Looks like housekeepers like to cut corners with regard to the sofa...

We have had no linens at least once, if not twice. They make it sound like a terrible inconvenience to bring them, you can hear it in their voice. Well, I'm on vacation and you're at work, it's your job to bring me linens...

We have had no linens at least once, if not twice. They make it sound like a terrible inconvenience to bring them, you can hear it in their voice. Well, I'm on vacation and you're at work, it's your job to bring me linens...

Exactly!! And we as DVC owners pay for this service being provided.

We definitely had a good time that night! Good food, good company, what's not to like!

When using the sofa-bed we tend to close the sofa each morning because we want to sit on it, even the last morning. However, we always strip the sofa bed the day we leave so housekeeping is aware it needs new linens. Still, if housekeeping does not take notice and remake the bed then the next person will end up without linens. I worked in hotel housekeeping for a few months while in college (many, many, many years ago). We had inspectors who checked each and every room before signing us off and opening the rooms to the public. Our rooms had to be spotless or we were read the riot act. I am not sure hotel inspections check every room now. I think they should.

Kate

When using the sofa-bed we tend to close the sofa each morning because we want to sit on it, even the last morning. However, we always strip the sofa bed the day we leave so housekeeping is aware it needs new linens. Still, if housekeeping does not take notice and remake the bed then the next person will end up without linens. I worked in hotel housekeeping for a few months while in college (many, many, many years ago). We had inspectors who checked each and every room before signing us off and opening the rooms to the public. Our rooms had to be spotless or we were read the riot act. I am not sure hotel inspections check every room now. I think they should.

Kate

We do the same, strip the sofa bed the last morning.

I wonder if they have someone else inspect the room? From the bits of conversations I've heard at Disney, housekeeping marks it as cleaned and ready to turn over. Whether that's done after an inspection I have no clue. Sounds like a very good idea though, two sets of eyes are usually better than one.

Day 2: Embarkation Day!!!

We woke up about 7:15 and we were very excited! After 465 days of anticipation the day had finally arrived.

One of our stowaways was being silly

We needed to drop the car off in San Diego by noon. Depending on what time I would check the GPS the directions said it would take 90 minutes to an hour and 45 minutes. So we figured being in the car by 9:15 was plenty of time.

We were a little ahead of schedule and out of the room at 8:23.

Goodbye room

We had to stop and catch a snippet of TV

And play in the lobby

And mail some postcards

We finally drug ourselves out of that beautiful resort and headed to the car

I wasn’t sure we were ever getting to the car, those stowaways wanted their picture taken all over the place…

Finally got to the car and started our journey to San Diego before 9. The GPS was leading us very nicely until suddenly it wanted me to get on a toll road! I have driven enough places that toll roads scare me because some have cash attendants and some are only automatic. No way was I going to risk being charged a toll fee by the rental car place, so we quickly changed routes. It was less scenic for a time but then we were on a beautiful road next to the ocean. We stopped at a rest area so I could get a soda. We had plenty of time so stretched our legs and explored a bit.

Mom had wandered off

She was having fun taking pictures

I was anxious to get on the ship, but I had such a sense of peace being on vacation and just savoring the moment.

To be continued...

Yeah Emarkation day! Can't come around too soon can it. We know that butterfly feeling.

Those stowaways! Cute little guys. I am glad you managed to have plenty of time. Nobody wants to be stressed starting their fabulous cruise.

That hotel lobby is something else. I haven't seen the outside signs before how beatiful I enjoyed seeing those.

Well done for changing routes! We are always nervous our sunpass will be automatically charged even though we opt to pay cash. Alamo charge more for using this system. No way to avoid the toll to go to the airport. So far we have nit been charged. I know folks that have.

Can't wait to see first sight of The Wonder in all her Disney black hull glory. Those stowaways will be bursting out your bags giving themselves away.. They may charge you tips on the green fellas.

Glad the stowaways had fun playing around the lobby ;) Growing up in Orlando I'm used to toll roads as a way of life (and a way to avoid the parking lot of I4), but my DBF generally has the same reaction that you did :laughing:

Yeah Emarkation day! Can't come around too soon can it. We know that butterfly feeling.

There is just something about it isn't there? :cloud9:

Those stowaways! Cute little guys. I am glad you managed to have plenty of time. Nobody wants to be stressed starting their fabulous cruise.

I was proud of us waking up and getting started when we did. It helped that we were super excited about the cruise :hyper:

That hotel lobby is something else. I haven't seen the outside signs before how beatiful I enjoyed seeing those.

It's absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to stay there again for a longer trip. Hopefully next year after the Alaska cruise if I can snag a reservation.

Well done for changing routes!

Mom was an excellent navigator.

We are always nervous our sunpass will be automatically charged even though we opt to pay cash. Alamo charge more for using this system. No way to avoid the toll to go to the airport. So far we have nit been charged. I know folks that have.

They did that to me when we stayed at Vero Beach last year. Sent me a bill for using the sun pass. I was not anywhere near the airport on the day they said I was, we were still at Vero Beach... Thankfully they dropped the charges. Very bizarre though.

Can't wait to see first sight of The Wonder in all her Disney black hull glory. Those stowaways will be bursting out your bags giving themselves away.. They may charge you tips on the green fellas.

They really loved getting their pictures taken :laughing:

Glad the stowaways had fun playing around the lobby ;)

They were just so silly :laughing:

Growing up in Orlando I'm used to toll roads as a way of life (and a way to avoid the parking lot of I4), but my DBF generally has the same reaction that you did :laughing:

I was terrified the rental car place would get charged a toll and then charge me the toll plus their outrageous fee for getting charged a toll. I have heard I4 is awful, Thankfully I haven't had need to go that route.

I'm sure the fact that you had come in from the east coast didn't hurt for you to get up early. Normally you gals like to sleep in. Personally if we take this cruise I will be on the way much sooner than you were!

Yeah, all the GPS systems tell you to take the Toll road, it's nice and saves time, but without the electronic thing, the tolls take some time and I'm not sure it saves that much time. We only took it when we had the transponder.

The stowaway were very cute. It's interesting to note that your trip next year will put you in CA later even than this trip. If we do the EBPC it leaves a full 2 months later than yours did. But then again there are a bunch of cruises to Baja next year. Been there done that. Several times....

OK back to your trip :laughing:

I'm sure the fact that you had come in from the east coast didn't hurt for you to get up early. Normally you gals like to sleep in. Personally if we take this cruise I will be on the way much sooner than you were!

I had read too many stressful stories about the port being packed with people getting off the ship and people trying to drop off that there was no way I was getting there early. It was very smooth when we got there. I have the next update partly written. I thought I'd get it posted today but I was totally lazy.

Yeah, all the GPS systems tell you to take the Toll road, it's nice and saves time, but without the electronic thing, the tolls take some time and I'm not sure it saves that much time. We only took it when we had the transponder.

It was quite a pleasant drive down the way we went. No traffic and nice to see the countryside.

The stowaway were very cute.

They were really fun to have along :)

It's interesting to note that your trip next year will put you in CA later even than this trip. If we do the EBPC it leaves a full 2 months later than yours did. But then again there are a bunch of cruises to Baja next year. Been there done that. Several times....

OK back to your trip :laughing:

I think ours was so early was because they were doing the dry dock. We met a guy in the elevator who had done the last Alaska cruise, the respositioning, and stayed on for the PC. That sounded glorious but I shudder to think how much it cost.

Just got around to read the intro and was sorry to read about your furbaby again. So sad to loose one of those. But how great that you went to rescue two others. :thumbsup2

Can't wait to read about it all. I need some refreshers on what happened on this cruise. ;)

The second part of your flight sounds a lot like ours, only that we were squeezed in for the whole flight from Orlando to Vegas. NO fun.

The GC studios look nice. I did not dare going for a waitlist when I could not get the 5 nights I wanted and I guess I was lucky as it was easy to add the extra night at our hotel, would not have worked at the GC I guess.

Can't wait for the cruise portion to start. :goodvibes ........ well, for obvious reasons. :rotfl:
Karin!! how are you? Missing your trip reports, whem its the next one?

Day 2 continued:

Finally to San Diego where we got our first glimpse of the Wonder!!! Can you see her? In the bottom left corner. :hyper:

A little closer

I was already having separation anxiety

Why are those trees in the way!?

Ahhhh, much better :love:

I dropped mom off at the port with the bags at 11:20. I was a little anxious about separating but we didn’t want to drag the bags in a taxi or bus. My next order of business was to get some gas in the car. I had hoped to do that before dropping mom off, but we didn’t pass a gas station. I found one on the road to the car return, whew! Gas was an outrageous $2.75 but I wasn’t going hunting. Thank goodness I didn’t because the next station was $3.39… To the rental car return place at 11:35, mom texted at 11:37 that they finally took the bags from her. It was not very organized at the port. They had her stand in a certain section but the porters kept taking bags from people closer in line and didn’t come down to her area.

At 11:46 they had taken the car from me, printed my receipt, and I was free. When researching the port I had found that they have free buses to the port, and of course you could get a taxi. What I never found out was that the rental car return was not directly at the airport, you had to take a bus to the actual airport, and from there you could get a bus or taxi to the port. So, I could either take a bus to the main terminal, and then get a bus or taxi to the port, or attempt to walk. Mapquest said it was a 35 minute walk. I debated for a few minutes, looked for taxies again hoping I was wrong, and then just decided to walk. It was a bright sunny day, absolutely perfect weather, and ended up being quite an enjoyable walk to the port.

I thought these palms were pretty

Soon I was at the water’s edge and seeing my beautiful ship again

It was really pretty on the water

Mom sent me this picture on the way

Touristy things to do at the port. I think it would be really neat to go in a submarine.

Mom asked for pictures of the Star of India when we passed it in the car, so I tried to get a bunch.

Isn’t she beautiful!!!

People were walking by looking and I was all too happy to have a pass to get me through security and find mom.

Great pics, only 325 ( I think) days for us. Our initial plans were to fly into Los Angeles & hire a car, & do the drop off like you, so glad it worked well. It didn't look like it'd be a bad walk. Flying into San Diego now & hotel has a shuttle, we still plan to walk along the seafront though

Loving the trip report, hope the stowaways wern't too naughty whilst your Mum was in sole charge.

I love that first sight of that iconic black hull.. There is my Disney home for the next so many glorious nights.

I am pleased you took the first gas offer! Oh my that price hike.

Your walk paid of in spades. Look at the sights you saw. That submarine. My Dad went on one in Austraila visuting my Aunt and loved it.

The Star of Indian is a beatiful ship. Great photos! Can't wait for next update. Getting onboard!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter