Stay at New Hotels? Or Stick to What I Know?

It’s the one with the pull down bed. I can’t really afford the larger rooms… I think. I’m a coke back in the afternoon for a cool down guy. However, I’m planning to go in January so I may not need more than a rest of the feet this time.

I’m planning to rent points at 11 months
That’s a Tower room. Tower room at Riv is fine for a solo traveler. It will feel a bit off at first because the layout is so different from a normal room but the bed is fine, the bathroom is nice and it’s the cheapest way to do Riv! It starts getting cramped if you’ve got two people but for one I say go for it if you can get it. And it even has a microwave!

I’d split 1 I loved, 1 new.

Trying new resorts is how I fell in love with current fave Riv- but trying new resorts is also I how I found out POFQ is not for me and I was glad I only had a few days there.
Can I ask why you didn’t like FQ and preferred Riverside ? I’m staying at FQ in May.

I have to add, I could never do a split stay - the idea of packing again and then unpacking is exhausting. I loved the CSR - Tower when I stayed in November, but if FQ works out, this could be my go-to. I really liked the Contemporary when I stayed there, actually. I’ve always wanted to try the Beach Club, but it’s so expensive. I think the Boardwalk would be too noisy.

me and my wife have stayed at a few now the only one we like to stay at is pofq it is the best fit for us we feel the most relaxed their

I’m just so indecisive lol
^^^^^ Same!
In order to thoughtfully respond with correct information since I am forgetful lately, I looked up info about my last two split stays. Oh boy, I changed my mind and cancelled and/or changed reservations several times. I do cash stays so it is easier to change my mind. It is probably good that I am not DVC - how could I commit at 11 months out??? 😉

This! In hindsight I really wish I had split with another resort when I stayed at POFQ on my first solo trip because I learned it was not for me either. The main reason I enjoy splits is they're like 2 vacations in one. But I also really enjoyed splitting between MK and EP resorts for the transportation aspect, it is so convenient not needing the buses except at AK because you can walk to 3 of them.
So true about 2 vacations in one. You get that "first day of vacation happiness/excitement" twice. My reason for splitting is the same as well. I like being able to walk to 3 parks.

On the other hand, the transition day between resorts breaks up the trip. For me, it makes the trip seems shorter as opposed to an unpack and stay trip. Also, the transition day can be a bit bothersome. YC rarely has our room ready prior to the 3 pm check in time. Other hotels we have stayed have had our room ready as soon as we arrive. At YC, we are a little resort homeless for a few hours while we wait for the room ready text.

For next summer's trip, we opted to stay at YC for the entire time. I am sure we will split again. This year, our favorite MK split resort is in the middle of refurb. We will wait until the dust settles before planning our next EP/MK split stay.

Last summer, I tacked on a one night stay at the Dolphin before moving to YC for 5 nights. I have been curious about that hotel for many years. I am glad that I was able to experience the resort and I feel like it could be a backup resort if my favorites don't work out for one reason or another in the future. I also learned that I would not want to split a stay of any less than a 7 night trip. Splitting the shorter trip made the vacation seem to be over way too fast.

I enjoy settling in to my vacation by unpacking and orgainizing the room. I also don't like change and generally only go to WDW once a year. If I were planning a 5 night stay, I don't think that I would split.

If you end up staying at BWV or BCV, you could visit Rivera. We had dinner at Topolino's once and had lunch at the Quick Service another time. Not sure how much you know about the Skyliner, but you can take it from IG to HS. You have to transfer at the Caribbean Resort station. Between IG and Caribbean, the Skyliner makes a turn at Rivera. You can get on and off there. We stopped by for lunch after hearing good things about the Quick Service restaurant.

One other problem about split stays is in regard to ADRs. The two stays are separate, meaning you would have two different ADR windows. Not sure if you even want to go to full service restaurant, but some ADRs are harder to get than others.

Can I ask why you didn’t like FQ and preferred Riverside ? I’m staying at FQ in May.
RIV= Riviera
POR= Port Orleans Riverside
POFQ= Port Orleans French Quarter

Sometimes it’s like we speak another language here on DIS 😆

You might like our split style with a resort you know you like.

We prefer to unpack and settle in at our main home, VGF. So, we do arrival night at a tryout resort, only unpacking essentials. No parkgoing until the next day after dropping off bags at VGF. We drive so can do that well before ropedropping.

It amounts to a 1/5-6 or 2/5-6 split at most.

As many advise, we didn't enjoy doing our favorite resort first and the tryout last.

If we ever do a half-half split (doubtful as much as I hate packing to move resorts), we'd do a split with a tryout resort we liked.

I'm personally big on trying a new resort every time. I'd eventually like to stay at (or at least hang out at) every Disney resort. I've even planned trips to stay at previous resorts that I love, but I've always ended up switching to something new before the trip happened. At this point, I've never actually stayed at the same resort twice.

This sounds like such a fun idea! I'm such a creature of habit, I just usually stay at the same place. Maybe this trip will start a new tradition for me!

yes, I know the abbreviations...I was just curious why you didn’t like FQ
You can see my confusion because I never mentioned Riverside and have never even stayed there lol.

POFQ just isn’t my jam. The rooms were loud, the AC was even louder, the pool didn’t have near enough seats for everyone who wanted to use it and the hot tub was awkwardly located because people waiting for their rooms would come out and sit in the hot tub area for sun while they wait and just stare at everyone in the hot tub. Many others adore it but the property was not for me.

You can see my confusion because I never mentioned Riverside and have never even stayed there lol.

POFQ just isn’t my jam. The rooms were loud, the AC was even louder, the pool didn’t have near enough seats for everyone who wanted to use it and the hot tub was awkwardly located because people waiting for their rooms would come out and sit in the hot tub area for sun while they wait and just stare at everyone in the hot tub. Many others adore it but the property was not for me.
Ok, thanks. I’m sorry you didn’t like it...hopefully my stay will be different. I did mention several times that I wanted a quiet room - he said essentially it’s all very quiet..🤞that it’s true

I vote combo. It's hard to blast us out of Boardwalk, but I do love trying new resorts. Lately, we've opted for split stays, where at least one resort is an Epcot resort, and 1 elsewhere. I love AKL, and Poly Still dreaming of trying WL either BRV or Copper creek.....one day. They are not as convenient as other places.

Ok, thanks. I’m sorry you didn’t like it...hopefully my stay will be different. I did mention several times that I wanted a quiet room - he said essentially it’s all very quiet..🤞that it’s true
For a quiet room at POFQ I like building 7. It is the farthest from the lobby but the resort is small so it is still close. It is the closest to POR, making it quick to go over to dine there. I have stayed in every building and they all have advantages, but for quiet, a top floor bldg 7 room is great.

Quiet depends a lot on your neighbors though regardless of resort. I have had noisier neighbors in deluxe resorts than in value resorts.

The one thing I didn't like about AKL was there was one elevator for what seemed like an endless hallway of rooms and they had me waaaaay down the hall. I was also doing a load of laundry that night so the back and forth was a lot. But, it's a nice hotel and I'd consider staying there again for a night or two.

I'm thinking this trip I want to focus a little more on Springs for a day and then a day of resort hopping.

For a quiet room at POFQ I like building 7. It is the farthest from the lobby but the resort is small so it is still close. It is the closest to POR, making it quick to go over to dine there. I have stayed in every building and they all have advantages, but for quiet, a top floor bldg 7 room is great.

Quiet depends a lot on your neighbors though regardless of resort. I have had noisier neighbors in deluxe resorts than in value resorts.
I’ll call them and see if I can request building 7 - thanks!

That‘s true, lol.

I had a a quiet experience. In fact FQ is by far one of my favorite resorts now no matter the tier because of how quiet it was. haha.

As for the OP's original question I think trying new resorts is nice but it's 100% a gamble too, but in the end you're still at Disney. From trying different resorts we have learned not all Deluxes are better than some Moderates and even Pop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter