Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just researched Episode III and it really is a good flick.

Though did make me wish they condensed the first 2 movies into one and then spread out this one across 2 and had more of a slow build for Darth Vader

Did also make me feel that would be proper to have the Emperor and Anakin in the final movie as it did feel it was Anakin torn between the Jedi Council and the Emperor and neither her side in powered is really "balance"

I did make a point to be there for the Fortnite x Star Wars event just a little bit ago, and it was really cool! They turned off “eliminations” once it was time, so it turned into a big dance party with all the emote-ing, and then JJ Abrams was there in-game, and everyone watched a very short Ep.9 clip on a big screen behind his avatar. And then everyone got light sabers and got to play with those for a few minutes. Fun stuff.
View attachment 458709

Playing now! It’s AMAZING!!!!!! I wish they’d keep the lightsabers!!!!!!!!!

Season 1 OG ;) here , although I stopped during season 2. DS still occasionally plays and the SW stuff did make him log back in this weekend.

That’s awesome!! I’m on level 66 right now. Disney trip slowed me down 😂 The Star Wars addition is just SO cool!!!! The lightsabers are true to the movies in how they use them!!! I love you can block shots with them!! We all scream when we find a chest with the lightsabers in them!!! 😂 And when you open the Tie glider or go to start a match, the sound effects are great!!! It’s the little things.

Last edited:

So now the sites that called anyone who didn't like TLJ all kinds of awful things are all angry with Abrams, Boyega and Ridley for taking subtle and mot so subtle shots at TLJ and Johnson.

Wait what was that? Missed it.

It's not really "shots" but more of a recognition that there were certain elements that could have been handled better - like an assurance that the new one will tie it all up nicely and in a more satisfying manner.

It's not really "shots" but more of a recognition that there were certain elements that could have been handled better - like an assurance that the new one will tie it all up nicely and in a more satisfying manner.

Interesting, obvious to many but admitting it it is a bit surprising.

Even though they decided against canon, this is an odd statement from KK.

"There's no source material. We don't have comic books. We don't have 800-page novels"

Certainly had unlimited ideas to work with anyway.

Funny, I have a feeling it will do just fine. Unless there are more turned off fans than we think of course, well and its simply not very good.

Last edited:
What really pisses me off with Star Wars is that you have this IP that has 40+ of major success, cultural significance, unending supply of official and unofficial, canon and not-canon stories written by professionals and amateurs alike not including all the massively successful video games from consoles to MMORPGs. And what do you do with it? You make a bunch of random movies that don't tie together.

I mean, the only thing that rivals the Star Wars universe are things like Marvel, Star Trek and newcomer Harry Potter.

How do you not, immediately after purchasing the franchise, plan out twenty years of stories before production starts on the first movie? How? How does that incompetency happen? Kennedy should be fired regardless of how good or popular some of the newer stories have been received. Rise of Skywalker can be the best Star Wars movie ever and she should still be fired.

And I liked TLJ. And Solo.

Finished rewatching all the film's - got through Force Awakens and The Last Jedi on a flight I was on today. Definitely interested in how they tie everything up - I feel like there are the pieces there for a satisfying conclusion but could also go really wrong

And Last Jedi continues to be the film I find the most uneven. Some amazing parts and beautiful cinematography but some really sophomoric humor that just kills the vibe for me. I still the the overall story arc works in it even though I would have made some small changes

Interesting, obvious to many but admitting it it is a bit surprising.

Even though they decided against canon, this is an odd statement from KK.

"There's no source material. We don't have comic books. We don't have 800-page novels"

Certainly had unlimited ideas to work with anyway.
First, neither did the OT. Second, they had tons of source material they abandoned.

I think this supports the rumor that they didn't plan out the story line for the trilogy at the start and just let each director run wild.

I'm right there with you. I would have preferred no Jar Jar and a less whiny Anakin but they were pretty solid movies. I would rank all 3 over ROTJ and TLJ easily.

I wanted MORE Jar-Jar! I think you would have wanted it too; if they would have handled it correctly!

Let me explain; I wanted "Darth Jar Jar" to be true. He was set up to be a fantastic evil character. Yoda seemed a fool when we first met him; he was anything but. Jar Jar seemed a fool when we met him as well...

Obviously take with a grain of salt, but early reactions to 'Rise' seem pretty positive ... not the best Star Wars film but it sounds like it may be a satisfying conclusion ...

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-first-reactions
I've said it before, but while the 'The Last Jedi' was a fun sci-fi fantasy film, it was an extremely weak Star Wars film in the context of the overall 3rd trilogy and 9 part saga. Maybe as the start of a new story, but it was very odd story telling for the middle of a trilogy. It didn't ruin Star Wars for me, but I was not a fan.

And watching Rogue One a couple more times as part of TNT's marathon ... it still hold up great showing that you can make some amazing side story films ... yet we got 'The Last Jedi' as part of the main saga :confused3

Obviously take with a grain of salt, but early reactions to 'Rise' seem pretty positive ... not the best Star Wars film but it sounds like it may be a satisfying conclusion ...

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-first-reactions
I've said it before, but while the 'The Last Jedi' was a fun sci-fi fantasy film, it was an extremely weak Star Wars film in the context of the overall 3rd trilogy and 9 part saga. Maybe as the start of a new story, but it was very odd story telling for the middle of a trilogy. It didn't ruin Star Wars for me, but I was not a fan.

And watching Rogue One a couple more times as part of TNT's marathon ... it still hold up great showing that you can make some amazing side story films ... yet we got 'The Last Jedi' as part of the main saga :confused3

Just was reading those initial takes too and seems like one theme is that people (even those that really liked it) feel like it is almost two films in one, and makes me wonder if, even if they had the main components of Last Jedi (so the push to see that the Jedi were flawed too, kill the past if you have too, "everything you just said is wrong", etc.) probably could have covered it in 1/2 the time and then spread out content of Episode IX

I felt that way about Episode III - and if they had merged the key parts of episodes I and II into one film and then spread out episode III into two films it might have flowed better

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter