Star Wars Galaxies Edge-Thoughts

lindyv321

DIS Veteran
I know I may be in the minority here but I’m sad they are opening SWGE in DL rather than DCA. I think it’s going to change the whole feel of the park. Its seems like an odd choice to put on that side of the esplanade. Also is Star Tours going to changed or moved? I thought it was a Disney no no to have the same characters in different areas of the park at the same time??

Also it’s already a the smaller park and I’m afraid that even with all the things they are trying to do to open things up a bit that the crowds will make it unbearable. Do you think that with some additional square footage it will mean more people will be allowed in before they hit capacity? What are your thoughts???

I don't know the answers to any of your questions really, but at the end of the day, Disney is a corporation with shareholders and execs, and operates based off of a profit motive. I'm sure they chose DLP for the location either because land was cheapest, or already purchased, or because they thought they could maximize the number of new and returning guests who come to see it. Now, notice I did not say, Disney thought they could "maximize the guest experience". As long as the parks are full--even to capacity--I doubt very much whether the executives who are making these plans care whether people feel smooshed or lines are long. They'll care once people feel so smooshed and long-lined-out that they stop coming and revenues fall, but until then....

This isn't to say Disney is bad or evil; they're a company trying to make money, just like every other company on the planet. Then it's up to each individual consumer to decide whether they're still competitive or not with other vacation options.

As for having the same characters in different parts of the park...that won't happen because Star Tours is based on the original trilogy, while the new land is an original location (not in the movies) that seems to be placed after "The Last Jedi". The only common characters would be stormtroopers (which are not really individual characters) and possibly droids. I'm only a casual Star Wars fan, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

All good points! This is why I wanted to post here. To have a conversation with others who may actually care (unlike my poor family who had to listen to me talk about Disney all the time)

I’m glad we are planning a trip later in the year so I can read all about how it’s gonna go and plan accordingly.

I don't know the answers to any of your questions really, but at the end of the day, Disney is a corporation with shareholders and execs, and operates based off of a profit motive. I'm sure they chose DLP for the location either because land was cheapest, or already purchased, or because they thought they could maximize the number of new and returning guests who come to see it.

SWGE was placed on top of land that was previously backstage area for DL including the Circle D ranch (home to the horses that pull the Main Street Vehicles etc.) which was largely relocated quite a ways off site. There is no other parcel of land or space attached to a current theme park that would have accommodated SWGE without starting debate about a 'third gate' option using some of the other property they have in the area. I think this was probably as big a factor as anything in locating SWGE.

I'm not sure about that characters in two places piece... fab 5 characters can be found in a ton of places at once- Town Square, Buena Vista Street, Toontown and of course character meals.

After a quick Google search it appears the characters not being able to be in two places at once rule (character integrity) hasn’t been followed as strictly as it used to be. Which makes sense I suppose since we have Buzz appearing in both parks....

Last edited:

It will change the feel of the parks for a time but not forever. It will take time to sort of go back to feeling like it’s all one park, but there’s no going back so you’ll either have to decide you don’t like Disneyland anymore or just enjoy it the way it is now.

I really don't think it will change the feel of the park at all. Carsland is right up against a main pathway at DCA, yet in the vast majority of the park you can walk around and not even know Carsland is there. SWGE will be set back from the rest of the park, and you will have to go through a tunnel to get to it, making it even more difficult to notice.

I don't think Mickey's Toontown changed the feel of Disneyland, aside from providing one more exciting spot to visit during a day there.

I’m more worried about it changing the crowded feel of the parks. Everyone who is there for SWGE is gonna have to walk through the rest of the park to get there. Adventureland and NOS is already pretty squished even on “slow” days!

It’s also going to attract a different type of tourist. People who never wanted or cared to visit the parks will be wanting to now.

lIt’s also going to attract a different type of tourist. People who never wanted or cared to visit the parks will be wanting to now.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. People are certainly entitled to visit the park for any reason they choose. It’s ALWAYS someone’s first visit, and no one should be made to feel like they’re less than another guest because something new drew them in. Gatekeeping is not fun.

:rolleyes1
Not sure what this has to do with anything. People are certainly entitled to visit the park for any reason they choose. It’s ALWAYS someone’s first visit, and no one should be made to feel like they’re less than another guest because something new drew them in. Gatekeeping is not fun.
I’ll sheepishly raise my hand as one of those new people :o We’ve been a Universal/Legoland family until now, with Disney on our “someday” calendar. The cost and perceived difficulty of planning a Disney vacation is what kept us away (I didn’t know DLR was different from WDW in that respect). But with SWGE opening, I KNEW my husband and son would love it, so we moved it up on our trip calendar. The more I’ve planned and researched, the more and more excited I am! I am still a little baffled by MaxPass, but I’m sure it won’t be as confusing as I think. Tickets are purchased and the hotel is booked.

We’re normal tourists, I promise! We don’t cut lines and smell nice and everything! (Well, we smell less nice at the end of the day than the start, but you know...)

:rolleyes1
I’ll sheepishly raise my hand as one of those new people :o We’ve been a Universal/Legoland family until now, with Disney on our “someday” calendar. The cost and perceived difficulty of planning a Disney vacation is what kept us away (I didn’t know DLR was different from WDW in that respect). But with SWGE opening, I KNEW my husband and son would love it, so we moved it up on our trip calendar. The more I’ve planned and researched, the more and more excited I am! I am still a little baffled by MaxPass, but I’m sure it won’t be as confusing as I think. Tickets are purchased and the hotel is booked.

We’re normal tourists, I promise! We don’t cut lines and smell nice and everything! (Well, we smell less nice at the end of the day than the start, but you know...)

You’re going to have a great time. MaxPass will be very easy to use once you use it once. I don’t do DLR without it. Have fun!!

SWGE was placed on top of land that was previously backstage area for DL including the Circle D ranch (home to the horses that pull the Main Street Vehicles etc.) which was largely relocated quite a ways off site. There is no other parcel of land or space attached to a current theme park that would have accommodated SWGE without starting debate about a 'third gate' option using some of the other property they have in the area. I think this was probably as big a factor as anything in locating SWGE.

I'm not sure about that characters in two places piece... fab 5 characters can be found in a ton of places at once- Town Square, Buena Vista Street, Toontown and of course character meals.
I think they follow the rule more strictly at WDW than DLR. They used to have hours long waits for Anna & Elsa, but they wouldn’t let them M&G in more than 1 park at a time because of that rule.

I think it’s fine at DL. As mentioned most of it’s been built on what was a backstage area. Plus it’s been designed to transport you to a whole other place and that separation would have been the case in DL, DCA or a 3rd gate. I actually hope they keep Hyperspace mountain going until I’m there at Christmas as that and Star Tours are original trilogy. Then you transport yourself to another planet (Batuu) 30 or 40 years later on the other side of the Park.
As for capacity, it will increase but only time will tell what impact that will have.
All the best.

Correct me if I’m wrong but Star Tours is NOT just original trilogy. There are both prequel and sequel segments. I am of the belief that it doesn’t make any sense to keep ST and Hyperspace Mountain in TL while having SWGE as a separate land. Even broader, I love both the classic Disney characters and Star Wars, but having them both together in the same park doesn’t feel tight to me. I don’t like Muppet stuff mixing in either. Pixar I’m good with. I guess that makes me a purist of some sort

As excited as i am for SWGE, I think it would have been a better fit at DCA and gone a long way to evening out crowds between the parks. But they had more room for it at Disneyland and had Marvel slated for DCA where there is not room for both.

I've always said I would love it if DCA could focus on Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars and leave Disneyland for classic Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter