St. Maarten Airport Beachgoer Dies From Jet Blast

We stopped at St. Marten (sp) while on a Disney Cruise, the excursion we went on was a Beach Day. Not sure of the name of the beach, but there were nude sun bathers walking along the beach. We live a pretty modest life so this was something we hadn't seen before. Sorry for going O/T.

Regarding the topic of this thread, didn't this happen in 2012?

We had a stop over in St. Maartin (did not deplane) and I was terrified that, first, we were going to land in the water, then when we left, thought we would hit the water before getting airbourne. It was really scary for me - the run way is extremely short - or rather it takes all the island space it can to get enough length.

We stopped at St. Marten (sp) while on a Disney Cruise, the excursion we went on was a Beach Day. Not sure of the name of the beach, but there were nude sun bathers walking along the beach. We live a pretty modest life so this was something we hadn't seen before. Sorry for going O/T.

Regarding the topic of this thread, didn't this happen in 2012?

No. The fatality was just the a few days ago.

We had a stop over in St. Maartin (did not deplane) and I was terrified that, first, we were going to land in the water, then when we left, thought we would hit the water before getting airbourne. It was really scary for me - the run way is extremely short - or rather it takes all the island space it can to get enough length.

The runway isn't actually that short. It's 7546 ft (2300 m) which is marginal for the larger planes that fly in, but perfectly adequate for 737s and Airbus A320s. I've flown into Orange County Airport, and that is a short runway. They absolutely won't fly in anything larger than a 757. The airport next to the manufacturing facility that Boeing uses for maiden 737 flights is even shorter.

The aircraft involved in this incident was a 737, so it doesn't really need the entire runway. A 747 or Airbus A340 probably would.

I thought so but I read another article about it that was dated 2012.

There was a similar incident in 2012 where someone got blowing into the concrete barrier, but where the person survived

There was a similar incident in 2012 where someone got blowing into the concrete barrier, but where the person survived
Oh ok. I was just reading about it again and that person did survive. Thanks

That would be Orient Beach, it is on the French side of the island.

The runway isn't actually that short. It's 7546 ft (2300 m) which is marginal for the larger planes that fly in, but perfectly adequate for 737s and Airbus A320s. I've flown into Orange County Airport, and that is a short runway. They absolutely won't fly in anything larger than a 757. The airport next to the manufacturing facility that Boeing uses for maiden 737 flights is even shorter.

The aircraft involved in this incident was a 737, so it doesn't really need the entire runway. A 747 or Airbus A340 probably would.

Did not mean to imply that the runway was not long enough - realize it 'has' to be - just was saying that they use the land from 'water to water' to get that length!! And, if you've never landed and taken off there, will tell you it's very unnerving!

Did not mean to imply that the runway was not long enough - realize it 'has' to be - just was saying that they use the land from 'water to water' to get that length!! And, if you've never landed and taken off there, will tell you it's very unnerving!

Theoretically it doesn't. Lots of airports are build on landfill (or even artificial islands) that creates new land. Hong Kong International Airport was build on a manmade island. Honolulu International Airport has a "reef" runway that is on an artificial island. Two major airports in my area have all their major runways on filled areas. I know that the concern is with a landing approach over water. Oakland International Airport's main runway is constructed such that either approach (usually runway 29 for landings) is over the water.

Here's San Francisco International Airport, which has been in the news in the past week:

16567.jpg

The entirety of Kansai International Airport (Osaka) was build on artificial islands with bridges to the mainland.

800px-Kix_aerial_photo.jpg

And Gibraltar International Airport is built on a narrow segment of land (which includes fill) where there's even traffic crossing the runway. It doesn't even have the typical blast pads at the end, which Princess Juliana Airport has.

GIB-OFFICIAL-20160113-009-OUT-358%201280x720.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter