SSR report & CM GOSSIP! (long)

For me (I am the OP), it wasn't so much the issue the Artist's Palette was just a food court and not a restaurant, it was the fact that the choices were so very limited.

We were there a week, and didn't see too much of a change on the menu. There were 2 options for kids all week that I saw - mac & cheese & hot dogs. For adults, there were 4? diff kinds of very good pizza flatbreads, a few "fancy" sandwiches and maybe 2 salads. Maybe a couple of soups also? I alsi think sometimes we saw family size entrees.

You def. got the impression, however, that the place was brand new and still empty and working itself out. Compared to the other foodcourts, I felt it had kind of strange and limited options - I couldn't put my finger on what kind of cuisine they were offering. The food was all very good, however.

After a week, the limited choices got boring. Compared to Mora, at AKL for example, they had far less.

We stayed at OKW last year during the same time, and it was always hopping. We would either get food to go and take it to our room, or get stuff from the poolside grill at the gurgling suitcase.

Even tho the resort isn't built up yet, and it was a down week, I can't imagine what AP will be like when they get going in a few years. 20% of the tables were always taken, and there was 2 cash registers for both the gift shop, pretty decent grocery store and the restaurant. 2 check outs will not be enough when they get all 10 or 12 buildings going!

Finally, a silly question - does anyone know why they don't have pizza pans and pizza cutters in the units, but they sell frozen pizza in the DVC stores?

Originally posted by CarolA
I would much rather have a food court then a sit down. Especially when you are that close to Downtown Disney. (I love OKW, but have never managed to eat at the resturant there!)

I agree with this for the most part...our own kitchen and the food court will definitely be our daily dining choice when we happen to be at the resort. I would still like to see a sit down or buffet style restaurant on the property...to be able to get a nice dinner without having to go anywhere. We just ended up doing this at other resort restaurants in June...but sometimes the kids are too tired to make another trip. There's got to be a few great restaurants in SS, NY that Disney can emulate.

We did eat at Olivia's one night. We had no PS...called to try to get one at the last minute...after going through the whole nightmare with Disney Dining saying nothing was available at Olivia's...we made a PS at DTD. I made DH drive over to OKW ...and there must have been 15 free tables! I was miffed. We cancelled our DTD PS and had a wonderful meal at Olivias. I don't think SSR would need a sit down restaurant that is much bigger than O's.

I just assume that the pool staff put out towels for my use, isn't that nice of them! (I told a woman that one time she went ballastic, but what could she do. Apparently she had come out at 8 am marked her seat and gone back to bed for three hours. [/B]
ROFL!! I'll have to remember this one! I can understand wanting a chair to go back to after a swim...but saving them for the day is just ridiculous!

[I also read on the resort board about some people who went around and collected all the left items at a pool one time and piled them up with a sign that said "lost and found!") [/B]
I don't blame them. I think the problem with folks taking up tables at SSR is two-fold. 1) there aren't enough tables...even for the two buildings that were open in June. They have space to add 10 more with no problem. 2) The only place you can find some shade, is under the table umbrella! If they added freestanding umbrellas over some of the lounges, this might help. In the summer, the concrete is too hot to walk on!

tjkraz...Yes! DVC really mismanaged the expectations in regard to AP. I remember reading the descriptions of the big pizza oven...and visualizing big deep dish pizzas piled with toppings, calzones, etc. I visualized cases full of a great selection of prepared (cold and head&eat) foods instead of one selection per day. I remember one DVC CM being quoted about what a special, new and different kind of restaurant AP was going to be. I'm not dissappointed with the property itself...just the variety of offerings. I can go into my local Publix for a better selection of prepared and made to order foods!

Originally posted by mndisfam
For me (I am the OP), it wasn't so much the issue the Artist's Palette was just a food court and not a restaurant, it was the fact that the choices were so very limited.

We were there a week, and didn't see too much of a change on the menu. There were 2 options for kids all week that I saw - mac & cheese & hot dogs. For adults, there were 4? diff kinds of very good pizza flatbreads, a few "fancy" sandwiches and maybe 2 salads. Maybe a couple of soups also? I alsi think sometimes we saw family size entrees.

After a week, the limited choices got boring. Compared to Mora, at AKL for example, they had far less.

We stayed at OKW last year during the same time, and it was always hopping. We would either get food to go and take it to our room, or get stuff from the poolside grill at the gurgling suitcase.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. Obviously, this is just my opinion and you feel differently. By your statement about OKW, you make it sound like there was so much more offered poolside compared to AP. You also mention how the menu never changed at AP. It never changes at OKW either or at any food court, that I am aware of .

OKW offers:
4 sandwiches, a hot dog, Conch Fritter, 1 salad and fruit (plus drinks and snacks).

SSR offers:
3 flatbreads, 4 sandwiches, 3 salads, 2 soups, 1 chef special that changes daily, Ribs, Mac n Cheese, hot dog plus drinks and snacks.

It seems to me like AP offers much more then OKW.

I didn't compare either to Mara's since that isn't a DVC resort. DVC members do have access to full kitchens vs. those staying at AKL. So, it would make sense to have a bigger selection at AKL, imo.

I just don't see why you think the choices were so limited at SSR compared with OKW. Is it that OKW offered food that was more to your liking, possibly?

I never read the initial reports on what AP was suppose to be like. I am glad I didn't. Then it may have been more disappointing to me. But, as far as poolside food goes (which is what I view AP), it is really good, I think.

I do think they will need another option when SSR construction is finished. That place will be a zoo at times and that won't be good.

Lisa

Here are the details from the August 2003 Member Clubhouse in which AP was spotlighted:

The main food service area of The Artist's Palette is split into four areas, Lori explains. To the far left is a bank of refrigerated cases, stocked with items you'd expect to find in a typical Disney Vacation Club Resort convenience location, such as milk, sodas, cheeses, and frozen pizzas. Directly in front and to the near left is the bakery area, with muffins and pastries. Some items will be self-service, while bakers from behind the counter will serve other fresh baked dessert items. Lori describes the centerpiece of the room as a "beautiful oven...where we'll be making pizzas, calzones, and focaccia [sandwiches]." Here, she says, "you'll be able to talk to the chef and have pizzas or sandwiches made to your liking."

To the right, near the retail area, Guests will find cases featuring the heartier entrees of the day, like meatloaf with gravy and mashed potatoes or lasagna. Guests can enjoy their meal at a table, or take the selections and dine back at their Vacation Home. A retail area will feature grocery items, bottled wines, and Walt Disney World merchandise.

The Artist's Palette will feature "an all-day dining program," says Lori, serving "a traditional American-style breakfast, with omelets, sandwiches, and breakfast pizzas, for example. Lunch and dinner will offer made-to-order sandwiches, fresh-tossed salads, and custom pizzas. We'll also feature nightly dinner entrees as additional options."

I do believe that we will see the variety of foods increase as SSR expands. I'd like to see a kids combo type meal...family sized pizzas (using the brick oven...more cold "grab and go" items like the kind that would typically come from a deli (pasta salad, chicken salad, etc.) and more than one dinner option at night.

I will say, as I have before, that the breakfast offerings are awesome (even if they don't have grits...much to the chagrin of DH). :D

Katie - they did have grits when we were there last week!

Lisa - I think what i liked about OKW & Olivias is that we could go to the poolside grill (OK not really by the pool - close tho!) and order a full meal from Olivia's.

We missed the full meal to-go service. But maybe it was there. I was always a tad confused when we were in there. They sometimes had the special under heat lamps, and sometimes on a chalk board.

Then - they had really nice flat screen tvs with the menu, but it would change as you were standing there. Twice, we asked about items that looked like entrees on the tv screen, we were told they weren't available at that time.

I think its all growing pains. We thought artists palette was beautuful, and really enjoyed the turf club. I am really glad we bought at SSR. No where is exactly perfect for everyone, but I really like it. Of course, we like everywhere we stay on Disney!.

Disney is a smart company - despite all the rumors I heard (often contradictory) every CM told me that it will get figured out. I don't think I am naive to believe that - tell me I am not!

As already stated above, which I agree with, is that they really did have expectations set very high for AP, while disappointed upon finding the limited choices, I was able to quickly get over it and just readjust to what they did have and we made the best of it, though limited now I do believe it will expand and they really do seem to be working the kinks out of the system. A small example is when the kids had had enough hot dogs and wanted something different, grilled cheese sandwiches was suggested, we already had the cheese and bread, but there was no butter in the refrigerated case, so I asked and they brought out a bag w/ probably a hundred small containers of butter from the kitchen and said it was compliments of the chef! They really are trying hard to please. As regards OKW and having more choices, although the menu at poolside is limited and never changes, you can order from the full Olivias menu there at anytime of day for takeout thus giving many more choices esp. if you don't want to do the full sitdown meal type of thing!

Considering that there's barely enough business to support one dining establishment (of course, no one ever brings up the Turf Club's menu) with only 4 buildings open, I'm glad that they have the food court as opposed to a sit-down restaurant. I do wish that they would expand their menu options a little - sometimes a man just wants a burger!

All that being said, once they open up all 73 buildings at SSR, I'll be quite surprised if a full-service restaurant isn't added....

PS I second tjkraz's comments on expectations: when I first read the descriptions, I envisioned something 2 to 3 times bigger than what's really there, with a lot more of everything (pre-packaged foods, take.to.the.rooms items, etc.).

I have to agree with LisaR, I think AP offers as many choices as the other Fast Food venues. There were many options in the refrigerator section.

I think the only complaint I see is that some do not care for what is offered.

I for one like the lighter, healthier choices over the standard fried chicken tenders, fried french fries, burgers and hot dogs and deep dish pizza. We much preferred the flatbread pizzas offered to traditional pizza.

It was finally a place for those of us who watch our weight and
cholestral to have some choices.

I hope they expand the options but with similar foods. Everything that was mentioned in the Member Newsletter was offered while we where so we had no disappointment in our expectations.

Here is Mara's choices and except for the fried foods and burgers you can get similar at AP.

Caesar Salad
Homemade Soups
Tossed Salad
African House Salad
Chicken Caesar Salad
Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Double Bacon Cheeseburger
Fish and Chips Platter
Chicken Strips
Fried Shrimp Platter
Pizza
Hot Dogs and Mac and Cheese for kids
And Assorted Desserts

Sammie,

We were there during the MH in May, and don't get me wrong - we enjoyed the food at AP. However, it is just as possible to get sick of salads and flatbreads as it is burgers and chicken wings. If they offered the same items as you listed, I'd be a happy camper.

Originally posted by DrTomorrow
If they offered the same items as you listed, I'd be a happy camper.

Ditto. That's a great list when added to the types of things I've already heard mentioned for AP.

I realize that you can only offer so much variety when trying to service a fairly small audience, but it seems like the grilled / fried foods mentioned are the types of things that could be prepared-to-order in +/- 5 minutes.

Originally posted by DrTomorrow
Sammie,

We were there during the MH in May, and don't get me wrong - we enjoyed the food at AP. However, it is just as possible to get sick of salads and flatbreads as it is burgers and chicken wings. If they offered the same items as you listed, I'd be a happy camper.

I understand completely. I just don't think any of the Fast Food areas offer any more variety than AP, it's just a different variety. I looked at all the menus for the Snack areas at the other resorts and all are pretty similar in the number of choices.

My point is I don't think that AP is offering any fewer choices than other fast food venues, only different choices of a healthier Spa like variety vs. the usual fast food venue.

We love Olivia's as much as everyone else. I agree a nice sit down full service restaurant would be a nice addition.

I just don't agree with comments that AP is so lacking in comparsion to other Fast Food venues. I just think those complaining prefer eating burgers and chicken fingers over what AP offers and we don't. I don't eat anything fried and I don't eat burgers, so we really like AP.

If they expand the menu to include additional choices I am fine with that as long as the exisiting choices remain.

We just returned from our first trip to SSR on 10/22-10/24. We had a great time! We had originally booked a studio for 10/23 for the day prior to our cruise. We later decided to add 10/22, however a studio was not available. The only thing we could do was to have a 1 bedroom for the 22nd and a studio for the 23rd. Boy... that's not the way to do it!! The studio was very nice, but such a letdown after staying in a 1 bedroom!!!

We travelled with our 5 month old for the first time and although the studio is sufficient room for us, the addition of the washer and dryer was very nice! We have a 1 bedroom booked for a trip in December and we can't wait!!

We do agree that AP would be better with a few selections like chicken strips or hamburgers in addition to what they are offerering. Breakfast was very good. Not sure if anyone else noticed this or not... it seemed that at breakfast, it was taking a long time for people to get their food. If you order multiple selections, the CM's put each plate under the "warmer" until the order is completely done. Well, some people came in thinking that those items were just already prepared and took them. So, the kitchen had to prepare the food again to complete the original order. This was very frustrating to the kitchen staff, but they handled it well.

We are new to DVC and this was our first visit home and we loved it!!!

I think that the addition of "real " horses to the resort would definately add to the theme and feel of Upstate Saratoga. We just recently bought our dd a beautiful black and white tobiano piant mare by the name of Destiny. Well on her paper work lo and behold her markings are listed as Tobiano with Mikey Mouse head pattern on left side. We had just come back from WDW and just purchased at SSR. We joked that "all we need now is a horse". Well we got the horse and a Mickey animal all at the same time. It really was "Destiny" that we would have her come into our life I guess!

All things aside though, anyone who has stayed during March Break at any of the All Stars is familiar with what a crowded pool means so I can't really imagine that the pool at SSR at it's worst could be as busy as that.

I also prefer a food court for the same reason as one of the earlier posters...when your travelling with kids they sometimes don't have the stamina to make it through one more sit down dinner. I find also that the kids menus are very limited everywhere. Alot of Mac and Cheese, hotdogs, burgers...stuff that my daughter doesn't really eat. Shes a big fan of the fruit cups, cheese plates, salads and pastries...alot of that you can get in a food court type setting. We stayed a POP last year and they have an excellent variety of foods there so hopefully once SSR gets going they will expand there menu to reflect something similar.

As far as cooking in the room goes....I barely cook at home what makes them think that I'am gonna cook while I'am on vacation...LOL!

:cat:

I agree that other pools are much more crowded at certain times of the year, but for the money I'm putting out I'm not paying for that type of experience either!

Originally posted by d-r
Our family isn't into cooking in the rooms, but I can't resist saying:

"sometimes men cook."

Sometimes? I and my two best friends (after my wife) do most of the cooking in our households and I do the cooking when we're at Home. One thing I learned from my sister-in-law, no woman ever shot a man while he was cooking dinner or doing the dishes. :D

As for limited menu's and "better restaurants", it's potentially true. Most of the small, hole in the wall but extremely good restaurants in Philly have limited menus. The difference is you have dozens of restaurant choices within walking distance in the areas that feature the restaurants and they're not catering to a "trapped" clientele. The problem may be the lack of restaurant choices, not menu choices.

As for not having pizza pans but selling pizza, if I recall correctly they sell the Tombstone pizza, and the cooking recommendations are to heat it directly on the oven racks. :confused3

Of course, these are my opinions. I could be wrong.
-Joe

pkitty, everything you listed that your daughter likes is offered at SSR.

I think some of the confusion comes from the use of the word Food Court. In my opinion no DVC resort or deluxe resort at Disney has a Food Court. The moderate and value resorts have Food Courts.

The only thing they don't offer is Fried Food and burgers. They are billed as a healthier option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter