SSR Pool Question

sweetinmaine

DIS Veteran
We bought into SSR in April this year and took our first trip as DVC members in Sept. We stayed at OKW as we like the theme there. We did decide to visit SSR to see what "our" place looked like. When I saw the main pool I was surprised at how it looked. :earseek: There were people swimming in it but the pool had a brown film in it. It looked like dirt. Is this because of the nearby construction? At first I thought that but when I see pictures of it the brown is still there. When people would walk up or down the stairs you could see the foot prints. The water was clean, it's the pool itself that I'm wondering about. Is it because it didn't get vacuumed? Did anyone else see this? Is this the way it always is? I guess I expected a clear blue pool. :confused3

I remember walking by and seeing 0 entry with a sand bottom, is that what you are thinking??

:confused3 Is it supposed to have a sandy bottom? It didn't look that way to me but I'm not sure. There wasn't a lot of sand; more like a film. All I can think to compare it to is like a green algae that grows when a pool hasn't been cleaned. I'm NOT saying that this is what it is I'm just using it as a comparison. :)

I have used the pool at SSR a few times and never saw anything like this. The pool does not have a sandy bottom so it could not have been sand.

Sounds horrible. I have no idea why it would be like this.

Mandy ::MinnieMo

I could have sworn a very small section in one of the 0 entry parts had a little bit of sand there. Was I dreaming? And if I was then what on earth was it?

"Zero entry" for humans with mobility problems also = "zero entry" for dirt. Those are probably the hardest spots to keep clean.

I don't know why they did it, but the pool bottom at SSR (main pool) is painted brown instead of blue. The water looks dirty, even when you are in it, but it's not. It's just the brown painted bottom.

Deb - that's what I was thinking too, that it was because of the paint color. We were there a few times over the summer and the water was always clean.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Thank you for letting me know this!!! I thought to myself "no way am I going in there!" That would make sense. But why brown? :confused3 Anyhow...glad that was what it was...Thanks again!

Maybe it's to simulate swimming in the pond back in Saratoga Spring NY instead of swimming in the ocean.

Deb & Bill said:
I don't know why they did it, but the pool bottom at SSR (main pool) is painted brown instead of blue. The water looks dirty, even when you are in it, but it's not. It's just the brown painted bottom.

I thought the same thing when we stayed at AKL in 2003...thought the water/pool was dirty until I realized it was painted a weird brownish green color to replicate a savannah pool I guess or at least match the plants that surround the pool better...it was strange, but the pool itself was great and clean.

Deb & Bill said:

During our tour we were told it is supposed to look like a natural spring. I believe the pool at AKL was designed similarly.

Sox_Fan said:
During our tour we were told it is supposed to look like a natural spring. I believe the pool at AKL was designed similarly.

We were just there last week. It is that way on purpose to simulate a lake or spring, according to the CM on duty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter