Spreading ashes in Disney World

JoySteve

Earning My Ears
This past Friday, my Family and I suffered a great loss. One of her wishes is to have some of her ashes spread somewhere in Disney World in Orlando. I have done some research and I am unable to find out if Disney offers any kind of service. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Steve

Steve, I am so sorry for the loss of your loved one. He/she must be very special to have wanted part of her ashes to be left at WDW. I'm sure they've had requests similar to this before. I do so hope that you find a way to accomplish this, even without Disney's 'permission'. There are ways of doing this, I am sure which could be private and unobtrusive to other guests.

God Bless.
Cheryl
PS: You've given me a great idea too! My DH wants part of his ashes to be spread on Soldier Field in Chicago. He's a Chicago Bears fan.

This needs to be done properly and above board and definitely not without Disney's permission. You could risk the wrath of local authorities. It is against the law to spread cremated remains on private property without the permission of the property owner.

The disposition of human remains ("ashes" are not ashes -- they are crushed up pieces of human bone) is regulated by laws in different ways in different places. One Church in Ontario, Canada installed a memorial garden for the sole purpose of spreading cremated remains -- they didn't do it by the rules and soon discovered they were actually operating a cemetery and had to abide by all the rules and regulations the province has in place for cemeteries.

By all means, call Walt Disney World and ask to speak to someone as high up as possible. The folks at CRO, while nice, aren't the ones to make a decision on this one.

i agree and some free legal advice since you have posted the question and no one ever knows who reads these things and you decide to do this without permission it could cause some problems.
good luck and i am also sorry for your loss you and your family will be in out prayers

My coworker's father passed away about 10 years ago and even though he lived in Michigan, while passing through Florida on business, he would buy a one-day pass and go to Disney, just to ride 'Small World'-nothing else. He was obsessed with the ride. Just a few years ago, my coworker's sister brought a small vial of his ashes and discreetly dumped them off the side of the boat while riding with all of their family members.

I know it's against Disney's rules and possibly poses biohazards, etc, but in theory, it's kind of cool. They have a story to tell my coworker's grandchildren (who never met their grandfather) every time they go to Disney.

I think it would be nice to rent a pontoon boat and go out on the lagoon and spread them there. It would be nice and quiet and peaceful. You and your family could be the only ones around.

I am very sorry for your loss.
I do know (because a family member inquired about it about 5 years ago) that spreading ashes at WDW is not allowed under any circumstances and can have legal ramifications to those who try to spread them illegally.
I hope you can find an alternate way of honoring your loved one.

I am sure there are some wonderful ways to honor your family member through WDW and do so leagally. What about leave a leagacy at Epcot, or making a donation in their memory to the Give the Kids the World Foundation.
So sorry about your loss.

Jordans' mom

I also am sorry for your loss. It's a difficult time.

I agree with Jordon's mom that you should choose another way to honor the deceased. As much as we would all like for you to be able to do as requested, I also would prefer my family members not be exposed to cremated remains. Disney World is not the place for this.

Since it is apparently illegal, you can rest assured that you made a reasonable effort to do as requested and select an alternate memorial.

Sheila

Originally posted by bexareaglecheryl
JoySteve did note that it was to be "some" of the ashes,which could be a very small amount (like say less than a cup, I know that sounds horrible). Disney would be most against this I am sure and I am also sure you are not the first to inquire.

Here's one fellow who has it in his will:
http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/166429-1510-010.html

Off topic but that guy was in the newspapers yesterday & will be on a VH1 show, I believe its called Obsessed. :crazy:

I'm betting it's not allowed or able to be 'approved' but I'd do it anyway. As a person who loves DW, I can say that I could care less and I'm betting most others don't either. I find it very sweet. Just think about a good place that they would like and do it as private and respectful as you can.

I think it would be nice to rent a pontoon boat and go out on the lagoon and spread them there. It would be nice and quiet and peaceful. You and your family could be the only ones around.

This was my thought also. Also, much more likely to be an approvable request.

ETA - to the OP, I am very sorry for your loss, and I hope you find a way to honor your loved one in a legal, appropriate way. My post below was to address what others have stated, not your original request. From what I have read here on the DIS , it is definitely not allowed to spread remains at WDW.

I think it's creepy and disgusting to illegally dispose of human remains in a theme park. I don't care if it's in your will, I don't want to ride IASW with ashes mixed in with the water. WDW is not a cemetery!

Also, it is against DIS policy to give advice on how to get around Disney's rules and regulations.

:goodvibesYes, so this thread will be closed SOON. A word of advice....do what you want to do:goodvibes

People this thread was from 2004....it's 7yrs old. I'm quite sure the OP has disposed of the ashes by now.

This is what my sister and I have been talking about..my mom said she wants her ashes spread too ..while we ride on tta, lol...it sounded a little morbid, but kinda cool, to know a pc of our mom would be there..lol!
We have been thinking about how we would go about this for a few yrs now, so, at least we are not the only ones that have a morbid mind.lol!
We planned on riding tta, and just sprinkling ashes here and there...descretly of course..:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter