• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spontaneous trip

Calee

DIS Veteran
We have been on 3 family trips, one 1 day trip, and I’ve been on a girls trip. All but the girls trip were pre Covid and the kids have been dying to go back. I have always prided myself on my major planning.

Soooo now I’m debating a trip next week 🤣 (I know about park reservations and I’ve checked). It would be shorter than our past family trips (3 days as opposed to 5-7), no dining reservations, etc. We aren’t made of money so of course I worry about doing it and feeling it wasn’t worth it 😬

But due to some family illness stuff we need a trip. And our summer will be kind of shot because our dog is having puppies so we will be tied to home lol. And my husband is about to have a job change that will mean in the future July and Christmas will be the only times we can go.

Soooooo would you do it?! What am I not thinking of!? Is there anything early next week going on at WDW that makes this a horrific idea???

We "went for it" three times in 2019 (and we have to fly there, not sure if you have to too) and then the world as we knew it closed up shop in 2020! So, we were mighty grateful for those trips and memories in '19 because we couldn't go back until '21. Point being: "ya nevah know what's comin', so eat the Mickey Pretzel" :smickey:

Definitely go for it. I’ve never regretted an impulsive Disney trip, no matter how it turned out. You’re still there, it’ll still be awesome—especially if your expectations are in line with the short notice.

Given your circumstances, I would do it. I would just shift your expectations for this trip from others you may have taken and enjoy what you are able to do rather than be disappointed with what you can't (QS vs. TS, rest days, etc. - if that makes sense?). We have been on countless trips from short to long, cheap to expensive, and I always go in with just a few goals, particularly with shorter trips. I would just ask yourself, what can I spend and what do we want to accomplish in our three days, knowing you can't do it all. I had one trip where my only goal was to visit the Festival of the Arts and see one of the Broadway shows. Another, we went just to ride Maelstrom one last time. We were happy to do those few things and everything else went out the window for those trips. If you feel you would enjoy yourself and it wouldn't be stressful or disappointing, I would do it.

Go for it if there are park passes available. You don’t need dining reservations and some of them caused us more stress (conflicts with LL) than they were worth. Space220 has a walk up list if you go to them at opening. Some places now have to go options (Steakhouse71)

With Genie+ and LlI$ bookings each morning at 7 am, you’re not really loosing anything unless staying offsite (LLI$ availability at park opening is less). But you plan on coming back again so even if you miss something you can always ride it later.

Flights have been a nightmare recently (we drove 20+ hrs on April 2nd due to cancellations -no flights out for 3 days). If you’re driving then it’s even better.

Have fun and enjoy the flower & garden festival!

We have been on 3 family trips, one 1 day trip, and I’ve been on a girls trip. All but the girls trip were pre Covid and the kids have been dying to go back. I have always prided myself on my major planning.

Soooo now I’m debating a trip next week 🤣 (I know about park reservations and I’ve checked). It would be shorter than our past family trips (3 days as opposed to 5-7), no dining reservations, etc. We aren’t made of money so of course I worry about doing it and feeling it wasn’t worth it 😬

But due to some family illness stuff we need a trip. And our summer will be kind of shot because our dog is having puppies so we will be tied to home lol. And my husband is about to have a job change that will mean in the future July and Christmas will be the only times we can go.

Soooooo would you do it?! What am I not thinking of!? Is there anything early next week going on at WDW that makes this a horrific idea???
As long as you can plan it, I say do it. We drive to the parks and sometimes plan a trip just a few days before. It's a bit more cumbersome now with PP reservations but if you plan to hop, you can usually make it work if you can't get the reservation for the park you want. Nothing really going on that would prohibit me from going so if you can go, by all means. Have fun!

We booked a trip for memorial day week 2 weeks ago. Usually we plan heavily months in advance. I must say it's been much less stressful to go on a few weeks notice. It is crowded all the time at this point, we aren't worried about it being worse on memorial day. We have young children and hate wasting time, we have genie + for each day of the trip and plan to buy the individual lightning passes each day. We have gotten every hard to get dining reservation and character meal easily by using one of the services that texts when they open up. We are missing out on nothing that we would have had by planning very early. I believe every trip we book in the future will be on short notice. Flights, car rental, etc seemed no more expensive on short notice based on work trips we have had recently. I vote go for the short notice trip.

We are doing this over Memorial Day! We live 11 hours away hahaha. We have the Disney itch and want to go back. I would do it. We are surprising our son and just going for three days. Life is short, you know?

Do pack a carry on bag with necessities. We had to deal with the April 2nd flight fiasco and ended up driving back (20+ hrs); arrived Monday morning April 4th at 4 am. Hotels were sold out the night of April 2nd everywhere. People slept in cars and there were diapers in the parking lot. We secured 1 king bed Hilton Garden Inn for about $300 (that was after a $50 discount for no rollaway bed) at 1:30 am (for 5 of us).

Thankfully we bought a car seat and booster before Walmart sold out. Had to buy car chargers (need long cords for iPads) (fortunately we had an iPad with an adjustable soft handle which we attached to the back of the rental car. Keep extra battery packs (we had 2 on us and both ran out of charge while renting the car). The car was one suitcase too small but that was all they had left. Don’t take a big stroller, Joovy ultralight fit in the bottom of the backseat with the tray and canopy removed (lost the tray).

Do not check in bags until you know for sure flights are flying. People who checked in bags had none for 5 days (staffing shortages).

Last edited:
It's a 10 hour trip but with 5 of us, we will drive!

Now I have to decide for sure which parks I want to do. I'll probably make a different post about that lol. (I have reservations-so far all parks available so considering changes)

It's a 10 hour trip but with 5 of us, we will drive!

Now I have to decide for sure which parks I want to do. I'll probably make a different post about that lol. (I have reservations-so far all parks available so considering changes)
That’s great. I wish we were that close.

Of all the 4 times we went post COVID we’ve had issues with flights cancelling at the last minute and we had to rebook on a different airline at our own expense.

It’s pretty risky on long weekends and flights have changed their contracts where they just need to cover a refund and nothing else.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/southwest-cancelled-our-flight-with-less-than-12-hours-😡.3878174/

Have a great trip. I just got back from a two day trip that I booked two days ahead of arrival. I recommend Genie + at MK, not sure they’re necessary at the other parks. I do buy an ILL for Remy, my new favorite ride, or do it during the night show. Get a hotel with a pool and the kids will be happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter