Split stay question

Briarmom

Bessie Robindale<br><font color=b26b70>Larry's bee
My family (myself, dh, ds6, ddthen2) will be in WDW Nov 15-23. I am thinking of doing a split stay of 4 nights POP and 4 nights AKL (will try to get Savannah). Anyway, we are used to staying at SOG, Coronado, offsite, so I thought I would change it up a bit. How much of a PITA is switching rooms (remember we have 2 kids). I guess I was thinking that if we save some $ the first 4 nights, we could have a 'nicer' room the 2nd 4.
Also, I am planning my first solo trip in Feb and was thinking of a split between AKMo and WL.
Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Not much of a problem, IMO. We split a CBR/WL stay--you're right to do the deluxe 2nd. You can arrange to have your bags moved to the 2nd resort so you don't have to worry. We checked out of CBR, told them where we were going next, and then went to Typhoon Lagoon while they moved our stuff. Our room was ready for us when when returned later that afternoon.
I like to try different resorts--this is a good way to do so.
Have a great trip!

It's very easy and pain free. in January I couldn't decide between WL and AKL, so did a split stay. The morning of the switch we called bell services early, they picked up our luggage in just a few minutes and gave us a receipt for it. We had express checkout so just walked out of the WL and got on the bus to AK, then got on a bus to AKL where we were checked in in just a few minutes. Our room wasn't ready, but they gave us a key and a number to call back later. We then went off to the parks. That night when we came in, we stopped at bell services and asked for our bags to be brought up (you could just call from your room though). One of the bellmen said if we would wait just a moment he would be glad to show us to our room. Within just a few minutes we were in our room, with our luggage, and alot of information the bellman had given us about AKL.

I'm going back in 9 days and will be traveling solo this time. I'll be spending the first two nights at POP, then at the BWV (renting points), then back to POP for the last two nights. I can't wait and have no qualms about switching resorts three times. I know WDW has it down to a science.

Switching resorts makes your vacation seem like two vacations in one. In January we went from the Pacific Northwest to an African savanna. In May I'll be able to enjoy a blast from the past decades at POP to a 1920's-1930's Atlantic City Boardwalk theme. I can't wait.

We've done split stays and it's no problem. Disney makes it relatively easy for you. That being said, if I had a 2 year old who takes an early afternoon nap, I'm not sure I'd do it. You may not have a nice resort room for the 2 year old at nap time. Check out is usually around 11:00 and check in is at 3:00. Even if you got a little later check out, that doesn't help with the nap. You can't count on an early check in. (Can you tell naps were REALLY important to my family -- now DD is 10, but those naps at before she turned about 6 saved our sanity at WDW.)

To me, my own honest opinion, its a real PITA. We're over 50 and just the 2 of us, and last visit we did this at the AKL to Poly, didn't have all the nights we wanted at the Poly so tried the split for a first. Its a real pain, you blow the day and packing the night before to make the switch is boring and stupid. We're in Disney, we drop our bags, wife puts her stuff in drawers and on hangers and gets out all her beauty crap in the bathroom, for what, 3 days, then its pack it all up, never fits the same as from leaving home, lug the bags to bell services and the change from AKL to Poly, for our bodies, went smooth. We took the bus but our bags didn't arrive until 3 pm. Way too much wait for them, we like our stuff put away before we go out to play.

If I really had to do this again, pray I never have to, I'ld have taken our bags on the bus with us in the a.m. and had everything put up before lunch and been out at the pool by noon.

I saw no advantage to splitting stays, if you want to experience a new resort, do it on another vacation for the whole trip. We really didn't care for AKL and AK is not one of our favorite parks, so for those first 3 days, we got all our yuckie things over with, like shopping at DTD, went to a movie on one raining day, Pleasure Island etc and for me my vacation didn't start until I was at the Poly, lights, castle, monorail, boats and our traditional pizza and pitchers of beer at Crocketts Tavern in Fort Wilderness, just a boat ride away.

Its to each their own but for us, its a big PITA!!

pepe of ohio said:
To me, my own honest opinion, its a real PITA. We're over 50 and just the 2 of us, and last visit we did this at the AKL to Poly, didn't have all the nights we wanted at the Poly so tried the split for a first. Its a real pain, you blow the day and packing the night before to make the switch is boring and stupid. We're in Disney, we drop our bags, wife puts her stuff in drawers and on hangers and gets out all her beauty crap in the bathroom, for what, 3 days, then its pack it all up, never fits the same as from leaving home, lug the bags to bell services and the change from AKL to Poly, for our bodies, went smooth. We took the bus but our bags didn't arrive until 3 pm. Way too much wait for them, we like our stuff put away before we go out to play.

If I really had to do this again, pray I never have to, I'ld have taken our bags on the bus with us in the a.m. and had everything put up before lunch and been out at the pool by noon.

I saw no advantage to splitting stays, if you want to experience a new resort, do it on another vacation for the whole trip. We really didn't care for AKL and AK is not one of our favorite parks, so for those first 3 days, we got all our yuckie things over with, like shopping at DTD, went to a movie on one raining day, Pleasure Island etc and for me my vacation didn't start until I was at the Poly, lights, castle, monorail, boats and our traditional pizza and pitchers of beer at Crocketts Tavern in Fort Wilderness, just a boat ride away.

Its to each their own but for us, its a big PITA!!

Don't know why, but I just have to smile as I read this post. Please don't be offended--you just remind me of my dad, who is a bit of a Grumpy old Man. :love2:
Thanks for offering a different viewpoint... :goodvibes

We will be doing 9 nights this summer. The first three will be at POR and the next 6 will be at CSR. I just made sure that our switching day is not a park day. We will hang out at the pool, switch hotels, and then have dinner at Chef Mickey's that night. We have never switched before so I am hoping it is not a problem.

DS13 & I will be switching to BCV for 6nights after our 8nights at VWL in August
The day we switch Im planning on Cape May for brkfst, going into the countries when they open at 11am just for a little while, then hanging out at Stormalong Bay.
At night we'll head to MGM

HI my DS and I have booked 6 night POFQ and 3 night's POLY,

We will ck out early , and go to EMH at MK on a FRIDAY.

My ? is can you call the POLY and see if you room is ready.

thank you and GOD BLESS :flower:
MARY AND DS ;)

We are also splitting: 3 nights at CSR over T'day weekend and then to POP for 6 more. I figured we wouldn't be going to the parks Thurs-Sun (though maybe AK on Saturday) so we would enjoy a moderate and then switch over to POP and do 6 days at the parks when the holiday crowds are gone. Anyone have suggestions/comments about this plan I'd welcome them. Also, the possibility of AK comes from the closeness to CSR, the ability to do the park in one day or less when crowded, and to break up four resort days (though we won't arrive until Thursday afternoon). We chosen Turkey Day as a flying day for the last few years, the flights are so much cheaper than the days before and after.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter