Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to say that this thread has been damn good. Yes some high tensions and some arguments, but there's very few personal attacks or anything. The discussion on reddit had to be shut down because people couldn't behave.

And of course thanks to King Rteetz for allowing the discussion to continue and NOT shutting it down even when it gets a little tense or uncomfortable.

But why do you have to say the 2nd part of the sentence? Some people may feel that representing a movie where the first black princess was turned into a frog for 80% of the movie is a bad representation for the re-theming. I love PatF, but I also know that they could have given their first black princess a little bit more respect on the screen. I’m all for the PatF taking over this spot, but that doesn’t mean that my love for Splash mountain AS A RIDE will instantly go away.

There have been quite a few POC that have admitted and shown pictures of them on riding Splash Mountain with a caption that said “I didn’t even know what this ride represented was racist, we just went on because it was fun”.

Because that’s the first step towards anti-racism.

Ignorance, whether unintentional or not, is not an excuse to ignore racism.

I haven’t even addressed what the ride is becoming. I’m talking about understanding that the ride needs to change, and that priority should be greater than feelings of personal sadness.

Whether or not PatF is appropriate is a separate discussion. But I think you bring up a great point about how Disney portrays BIPOC.

We just have to be careful. If you were solely express grief for this change, what kind of message does that send to others on the internet? What’s the perception? You bring focus to what is central to your core beliefs, whether intentional or not.

It has to be, “I’m sad for this change, but I understand why it’s important we do this.”
The second part of the sentence needs to be said. No one is a mind reader.

It’s the internet. We have to have clear viewpoints. If we are unclear on our stance, it will get misconstrued.

I should have better phrased my statement. I’m not trying to invalidate anyone’s feelings about the ride! I cannot speak for everyone else.

And way back at the beginning of this thread those were almost my exact comments. I hate that it is changing and wish it wasn't but I totally understand why it is happening. Unforrtunatly too much baggage around the IP.

The fact that it’s hard to get a copy of this movie tells me that people are complaining based on what they heard from others, not from actually seeing the movie. That is what bothers me the most by this change.

And I still think the Jurassic rides at both Universal Parks are better than this one, so I expect Disney to actually make to better.

It's not just the movie. It is everytthing aound Uncle Remus. Even if the movie didnt exist and splash was made based off of the uncle remus books this would still be happening.

Memory, nostalgia, and comfort are not valid excuses for keeping a ride that has ties to a movie deeply rooted in racism.

You can be sad about the ride change. No one wants to invalidate those feelings. Feel sad. It’s okay! You have memories from that ride. No one can take those away from you.

But is your sadness GREATER than your feelings against racism?

Because while we can all agree that SM is a fun, iconic ride, it has problems. And those problems matter MORE to me than keeping it the same and ignoring the history behind the ride.

That’s why I think so many people will support the change. It’s not to hurt you, it’s a clear statement that symbols of racism (no matter how far removed or small) have ZERO place in our world.
Ehh...I don't think this has as much to do with racism as everyone is making it out to be. Have YOU seen SotS? There are enough clips of it on YouTube that you could pretty much watch the whole thing there. There are A LOT of things about the movie that were acceptable then that would seem at the very least, VERY odd today. Let's start with why is an old man telling stories to two little kids in the dark? Never mind the color of his skin or the stories he is telling, THAT ALONE would be unacceptable today - just ask the Boy Scouts of America - DEFINITELY not OK!

Which is to say, change is change, and people are often uncomfortable with it, but ultimately it is USUALLY a good thing (looking at YOU Imagination Pavillion as an obvious exception). Look at it this way; if you visited WDW say every other year, don't you kindof expect a couple of big changes between visits? I know I do. This ultimately will just be one of them - no big deal. Some will love it, some will be disappointed (cough - Frozen - cough), but all will be looking forward to the next big change. That's why we pay the big bucks to get in.

Because that’s the first step towards anti-racism.

Ignorance, whether unintentional or not, is not an excuse to ignore racism.

I haven’t even addressed what the ride is becoming. I’m talking about understanding that the ride needs to change, and that priority should be greater than feelings of personal sadness.

Whether or not PatF is appropriate is a separate discussion.

I’m not disagreeing that this needed to be done. But if you look at the people opposed to the ride change, its not that people want a ride that is based on a racist IP to stick around, they’re upset because of the ride itself being changed. People dont like change, especially when it impacts their memories from childhood. Every ride that has closed to become something new has had people argue that it just needed to be updated, not re-themed. This is all just initial reaction. Once construction actually begins, more people will be fine with the change. They’re just going through the stages of grief right now, and they havent yet gotten to acceptance

I have many thoughts and emotions about the future loss of one of my favorite attractions, Splash Mountain.

All I can say is that I want to get the opportunity to ride Splash Mountain one more time. It will be tough given the circumstances. I have an Annual Pass. I have 15 park reservations connected to hotel reservations. I feel very fortunate to have those park reservations. However, those park reservations aren't until the beginning of November. There is no guarantee that it will still be open by then.

At the moment, it sounds like if you have previously booked park reservations with a hotel that those count towards your '3 AP Reservations'. So this means I need a hotel reservation for as soon as possible. I haven't considered going before November. Now I need to do research on how to get a hotel reservation that can get me a park reservation for the soonest date possible.

And way back at the beginning of this thread those were almost my exact comments. I hate that it is changing and wish it wasn't but I totally understand why it is happening. Unforrtunatly too much baggage around the IP.

Yes same. I 100% understand the need for the change and support it, but I am worried that Disney won’t do it right. I hope it goes without saying that those worries don’t trump the need to change it.

It's not just the movie. It is everytthing aound Uncle Remus. Even if the movie didnt exist and splash was made based off of the uncle remus books this would still be happening.

Is there anything you can point to on the ride that’s racist? I don’t remember Uncle Remus in the ride.

If Disney wants to change it, then make it better.

Ehh...I don't think this has as much to do with racism as everyone is making it out to be. Have YOU seen SotS? There are enough clips of it on YouTube that you could pretty much watch the whole thing there. There are A LOT of things about the movie that were acceptable then that would seem at the very least, VERY odd today. Let's start with why is an old man telling stories to two little kids in the dark? Never mind the color of his skin or the stories he is telling, THAT ALONE would be unacceptable today - just ask the Boy Scouts of America - DEFINITELY not OK!

Which is to say, change is change, and people are often uncomfortable with it, but ultimately it is USUALLY a good thing (looking at YOU Imagination Pavillion as an obvious exception). Look at it this way; if you visited WDW say every other year, don't you kindof expect a couple of big changes between visits? I know I do. This ultimately will just be one of them - no big deal. Some will love it, some will be disappointed (cough - Frozen - cough), but all will be looking forward to the next big change. That's why we pay the big bucks to get in.

I have seen it. The movie was regarded as racist even during its time. That’s why Disney tucked it away, removed it from Disney+, etc. Even the music has deeply racist roots. I studied this music in one of my PhD courses and it was eye opening.

I’m still mad about Soarin changing and yet I ride the new one multiple times a trip.

Everyone will be ok, I promise.

Yeah but come on... Soarin' changed but it's still Soarin'.

This is no longer Splash Mountain. It's a complete redesign, erasing the story, characters, and songs that people have loved for decades.

Will everything be okay? Yeah (well, no... I will never be truly happy again). But people can still be upset over it. Especially with less than 24 hours passing after its been announced.

I’m still mad about Soarin changing and yet I ride the new one multiple times a trip.

Everyone will be ok, I promise.

I’d take Soarin’ 2.0, wonky Eiffel Tower and all, if they had just kept Test Track an actual Test Track 😐.

Why does Epcot house so many bad refurbs? Test Track, Journey into Imagination, Spaceship Earth, and Soarin’. I know some people would include FEA in that too. And Mission Space lol. Almost everything they’ve touched in that park.

Yeah but come on... Soarin' changed but it's still Soarin'.

This is no longer Splash Mountain. It's a complete redesign, erasing the story, characters, and songs that people have loved for decades.

Will everything be okay? Yeah (well, no... I will never be truly happy again). But people can still be upset over it. Especially with less than 24 hours passing after its been announced.

No it’s the same thing. Ride mechanics will be the same. Visuals will change. The end. You can be upset. But some of these posts have been disturbing.

And whoever said the PATF music is terrible needs to get some taste. And don’t come to New Orleans.So insulting.

No it’s the same thing. Ride mechanics will be the same. Visuals will change. The end.

And whoever said the PATF music is terrible needs to get some taste. And don’t come to New Orleans.So insulting.

I’ll be honest I have seen the movie maybe once or twice but my kids are always listening to the Disney Spotify playlist and the songs are super catchy. Music will be totally fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter