Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, and it is challenging when discusisng things online (here is a little better than social media where we can have a bit of back and forth) but it seems like people get dumped in one of 2 buckets => at the extreme position of either totally for something or 100% against ... when in reality most people are probably somehwere in the middle (likely more to one end than the other, but not all the way either way)

Yes, I see it all the time in other fandoms. I mean, look at Star Wars! Comics and Superhero movies too - didn't like Captain Marvel? SEXIST! Did enjoy Wonder Woman? MAN-HATING SJW! What if I liked one and not the other? GASP - HOW DARE YOU APPLY CRITICAL THOUGHT! I know that not everyone does this, but sometimes it sure feels that way! The histrionics are not bennifical to anyone in my opinion.

WDWmagic is built around hardcore old school fans. That doesn’t surprise me in the least.
LOL!! Yeah lots of hard core fans over there!! Unfortunately I have not seen any other sources for pooling numbers on the topic. I was quite shocked they actually opened up a pool for this.

WDWMagic has had a poll up since yesterday asking "Do you agree with the decision to re-theme Splash Mountain?" as of this moment 33% are stating yes and 67% are stating no out of 510 people who responded to the poll.

Those are going to be die hard Disney fans. We are by far the minority of the guests at Disney. I think overall you are still going to have 10% that state yes, 10% that state no, and 80% that don't care either way because they are casual Disney fans.

To keep a western / frontier theme, you could turn Splash Mountian into a "Home on the Range" ride and enjoy several minutes of yodelling! Who wouldn't love that!:P
i do agree that it should stay a western/frontier theme. there could be some really cool things that can be done with it.

the only way i see that princess and the frog really makes sense, is the riverboat at the end.

And thanks Subsonic...as im typing this, they're playing music from Splash lol

I just saw this shared and I skipped forward to the big drop. Lots of legitimate questions to wonder about with this refurb, but the music is NOT one of them. So awesome!

I’ve watched this 3 times now and it is amazing how just the music can cause such feelings. If the actual ride is done this well I will love it!

There’s also a petition to “save Splash Mountain” with a large amount of signatures. I don’t believe the petition to replace Splash mountain was a reason they made the decision in the first place

i do agree that it should stay a western/frontier theme. there could be some really cool things that can be done with it.

the only way i see that princess and the frog really makes sense, is the riverboat at the end.

And thanks Subsonic...as im typing this, they're playing music from Splash lol

That's the thing - I do feel like it's a little lazy because of that. Oh, there's a riverboat? BOOM - Tiana gets it. I dunno, I mean it does make sense to repurpose things when possible, but it also strikes me as a little on the nose. That's why I worry they won't spend the money on this.

Memory, nostalgia, and comfort are not valid excuses for keeping a ride that has ties to a movie deeply rooted in racism.

You can be sad about the ride change. No one wants to invalidate those feelings. Feel sad. It’s okay! You have memories from that ride. No one can take those away from you.

But is your sadness GREATER than your feelings against racism?

Because while we can all agree that SM is a fun, iconic ride, it has problems. And those problems matter MORE to me than keeping it the same and ignoring the history behind the ride.

That’s why I think so many people will support the change. It’s not to hurt you, it’s a clear statement that symbols of racism (no matter how far removed or small) have ZERO place in our world.

Last edited:
I have only skimmed through the posts from this morning but have to laugh at the idea that we need to keep Splash around in its current form for a teaching moment. Yeah okay, I’m sure that’s what it’s been used for 😂.

It’s okay to just say you don’t want it to change because you like it. We don’t need to pretend it’s vital for the education of America’s youth.

Memory, nostalgia, and comfort are not valid excuses for keeping a ride that has ties to a movie deeply rooted in racism.

You can be sad about the ride change. No one wants to invalidate those feelings. Feel sad. It’s okay! You have memories from that ride. No one can take those away from you.

But is your sadness GREATER than your feelings against racism?

Because while we can all agree that SM is a fun, iconic ride, it has problems. And those problems matter MORE to me than keeping it the same and ignoring the history behind the ride.

That’s why I think so many people will support the change. It’s not to HURT you, it’s a show of solidarity with our BIPOC citizens that symbols of racism (no matter how far removed or small) have ZERO place in our world.

I agree with everything other than the bold. People that are sad about the ride change, but acceptant of the changes are being called racist for ever loving Splash Mountain in the first place, especially on twitter. People are invalidating the feelings of others. Whether or not those comments affect you as a singular person is dependent on the person, but I dont believe people should be attacked for having an emotional feeling of being sad to see Splash go. It seems to somewhat civil here, but certainly not everywhere

I have only skimmed through the posts from this morning but have to laugh at the idea that we need to keep Splash around in its current form for a teaching moment. Yeah okay, I’m sure that’s what it’s been used for 😂.

It’s okay to just say you don’t want it to change because you like it. We don’t need to pretend it’s vital for the education of America’s youth.

There are many other forms of education that you can find, far better than Splash Mountain too lol.

I agree with everything other than the bold. People that are sad about the ride change, but acceptant of the changes are being called racist for ever loving Splash Mountain in the first place, especially on twitter. People are invalidating the feelings of others. Whether or not those comments affect you as a singular person is dependent on the person, but I dont believe people should be attacked for having an emotional feeling of being sad to see Splash go. It seems to somewhat civil here, but certainly not everywhere

We just have to be careful. If you were solely express grief for this change, what kind of message does that send to others on the internet? What’s the perception? You bring focus to what is central to your core beliefs, whether intentional or not.

It has to be, “I’m sad for this change, but I understand why it’s important we do this.”
The second part of the sentence needs to be said. No one is a mind reader.

It’s the internet. We have to have clear viewpoints. If we are unclear on our stance, it will get misconstrued.

I should have better phrased my statement. I’m not trying to invalidate anyone’s feelings about the ride! I cannot speak for everyone else.

We just have to be careful. If you were solely express grief for this change, what kind of message does that send to others on the internet? What’s the perception? You bring focus to what is central to your core beliefs, whether intentional or not.

It has to be, “I’m sad for this change, but I understand why it’s important we do this.”

It’s the internet. We have to have clear viewpoints. If we are unclear on our stance, it will get misconstrued.

I should have better phrased my statement. I’m not trying to invalidate anyone’s feelings about the ride! I cannot speak for everyone else.

But why do you have to say the 2nd part of the sentence? Some people may feel that representing a movie where the first black princess was turned into a frog for 80% of the movie is a bad representation for the re-theming. I love PatF, but I also know that they could have given their first black princess a little bit more respect on the screen. I’m all for the PatF taking over this spot, but that doesn’t mean that my love for Splash mountain AS A RIDE will instantly go away.

There have been quite a few POC that have admitted and shown pictures of them on riding Splash Mountain with a caption that said “I didn’t even know what this ride represented was racist, we just went on because it was fun”.

Spider-man ride is really good. The queue is the 90s cartoon. It’s great.

Oh yeah - I love Spider-Man at IOA. I love the rendition of the song they use too. I haven't gotten back to Universal in a while, but keep meaning to.

The fact that it’s hard to get a copy of this movie tells me that people are complaining based on what they heard from others, not from actually seeing the movie. That is what bothers me the most by this change.

And I still think the Jurassic rides at both Universal Parks are better than this one, so I expect Disney to actually make to better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter