Splash mountain refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
That whole area is a mismatch, and has been since day one IMO, BTM is modeled after a mountain in Utah, splash mountain would have been out of well, the south, and the riverboat takes place on the Mississippi, it's always been a little disjointed, swapping a ride out of the south, for a new theme also out of the south doesn't really change much in my mind

Agreed on the mismatch. I don't feel like there was a good long term plan period in MK. I think every few years they just shoehorned a new attraction on that side of the park ... forget Liberty Square or Frontierland and just call it Americana. (Every trip I am so bothered to be able to the Contemporary from Liberty Square.) I did hear about 5 years ago from MK insider there were discussions to renovate Frontierland to bring it all together but .... as often happens, ideas get boxed.

Song of the South is based in South Georgia and there are no mountains so ... NOLA & bayous can fit in just as well. You are right, this is about as little change as you can get for overall re-theme. But it gives a Disney Princess an attraction. A Princess movie that had some great characters. An IP that people know and is more current.

Disney is thinking forward with retiring SM and using a new theme. I get other ideas but Brother Bear was considered a flop that wouldn't be a draw for guests, Davey Crockett - they aren't going to theme after a short lived show from 66 years ago. The bottom line everything they do going forward will be for the purpose of drawing guests. Every decision they make is to increase profits.

All I know is I better see Dr. Facilier! 🖤💜

Agreed on the mismatch. I don't feel like there was a good long term plan period in MK. I think every few years they just shoehorned a new attraction on that side of the park ... forget Liberty Square or Frontierland and just call it Americana. (Every trip I am so bothered to be able to the Contemporary from Liberty Square.) I did hear about 5 years ago from MK insider there were discussions to renovate Frontierland to bring it all together but .... as often happens, ideas get boxed.

Song of the South is based in South Georgia and there are no mountains so ... NOLA & bayous can fit in just as well. You are right, this is about as little change as you can get for overall re-theme. But it gives a Disney Princess an attraction. A Princess movie that had some great characters. An IP that people know and is more current.

Disney is thinking forward with retiring SM and using a new theme. I get other ideas but Brother Bear was considered a flop that wouldn't be a draw for guests, Davey Crockett - they aren't going to theme after a short lived show from 66 years ago. The bottom line everything they do going forward will be for the purpose of drawing guests. Every decision they make is to increase profits.

All I know is I better see Dr. Facilier! 🖤💜
I like the idea of princess and the frog, and think it’s the right move. My childhood is crying for splash, but hopefully my daughter will like the retheme as much as I liked the original. Disney isnt afraid to use flops for rides btw, look at tron. Agreed that Davy Crockett is out of date. I do wonder if the retheme will come with a name change, that I would have more of a problem with for some odd reason 🤷‍♂️

I like the idea of princess and the frog, and think it’s the right move. My childhood is crying for splash, but hopefully my daughter will like the retheme as much as I liked the original. Disney isnt afraid to use flops for rides btw, look at tron. Agreed that Davy Crockett is out of date. I do wonder if the retheme will come with a name change, that I would have more of a problem with for some odd reason 🤷‍♂️

Brother Bear made money, not excessive but enough it wasn't a financial flop. But the reviews and imprint it made on viewers was considered a flop. SM needs a theme that will attract guests because it's just a flume ride otherwise. Theme is important to the ride and it will be remembered by the theme.

The Trons were considered moderate successes at the box office and each brought their own pluses to technology in the films. I agree that it might not attract a wide market based on movie theme alone BUT in this case - the ride, it's the technology and design that are the main focus. Tron is simply an artistic overlay that works with it. Technology is important to the ride and that will be remembered by the experience.

Name ........... million dollar question. It could stay because I don't think it has anything to do with the movie or book. BUT it is printed on so much merchandise with the Song of the South characters ...

This does not take away his Oscar or erase that in any way. Where in the ride was this even mentioned?
If you watched the movie "HE IS" the ride. He is the story teller. Uncle Remus is the one preserving the stories that helped people make it through their suffering. He was the only one who understood how to love and knew what the rich white little boy truly needed.

I'm sorry, I don't get it.

There was an "offensive" mural on my elite college campus and after much discussion, rather than take it down, they started an open discussion about what it meant and how it needed to be there to be understood to not repeat our mistakes.

Song of the South humanized a portion of people who for so long were dehumanized and I think only people who are dumb enough to equate wealth with happiness would not see through to the real meaning of the movie.

If you watched the movie "HE IS" the ride. He is the story teller. Uncle Remus is the one preserving the stories that helped people make it through their suffering. He was the only one who understood how to love and knew what the rich white little boy truly needed.

There was an "offensive" mural on my elite college campus and after much discussion, rather than take it down, they started an open discussion about what it meant and how it needed to be there to be understood to not repeat our mistakes.

Song of the South humanized a portion of people who for so long were dehumanized and I think only people who are dumb enough to equate wealth with happiness would not see through to the real meaning of the movie.
So you’d like to go to Disney world and be lectured about how splash mountain is bad rather than them just update the ride? I typically don’t go to Disney world to be reminded about the horrors of slavery and the antebellum south, but that’s just me.

So you’d like to go to Disney world and be lectured about how splash mountain is bad rather than them just update the ride? I typically don’t go to Disney world to be reminded about the horrors of slavery and the antebellum south, but that’s just me.
My grandmother grew up as the oldest of 11 during the Great Depression and never owned toy because they were so poor. That doesn't mean every time I'm reminded of her or a story she tells that I can't appreciate the fact that there were still times in her life she was happy and revel in her stories.

Through suffering comes redemption. Half of those slaves might be saints today in heaven whereas you or I who have easier lives might have more difficult roads to travel to redeem ourselves.

I can't separate my faith from how I think and I still see a purpose for what people endured and respect it. I can't erase it, erase them, erase their past or their suffering and maybe it isn't bad to remember that when I walk past it. There are sweet and sour emotions there but emotions worth having nonetheless. That is why I also wear a cross.

My grandmother grew up as the oldest of 11 during the Great Depression and never owned toy because they were so poor. That doesn't mean every time I'm reminded of her or a story she tells that I can't appreciate the fact that there were still times in her life she was happy and revel in her stories.

Through suffering comes redemption. Half of those slaves might be saints today in heaven whereas you or I who have easier lives might have more difficult roads to travel to redeem ourselves.

I can't separate my faith from how I think and I still see a purpose for what people endured and respect it. I can't erase it, erase them, erase their past or their suffering and maybe it isn't bad to remember that when I walk past it. There are sweet and sour emotions there but emotions worth having nonetheless. That is why I also wear a cross.
Wow a lot to unpack there. But all I’m saying is that Disney world isn’t the place for reflection on the worst period in American history.

Honestly, I love Splash Mountain but I am excited for this retheme. I LOVE the music from Princess and the Frog... even more than Song of the South.
Change is important to move society forward. I understand that change can be hard, and most times we balk at it but in the end sometimes it is necessary.

Brother Bear made money, not excessive but enough it wasn't a financial flop. But the reviews and imprint it made on viewers was considered a flop. SM needs a theme that will attract guests because it's just a flume ride otherwise. Theme is important to the ride and it will be remembered by the theme.

The Trons were considered moderate successes at the box office and each brought their own pluses to technology in the films. I agree that it might not attract a wide market based on movie theme alone BUT in this case - the ride, it's the technology and design that are the main focus. Tron is simply an artistic overlay that works with it. Technology is important to the ride and that will be remembered by the experience.

Name ........... million dollar question. It could stay because I don't think it has anything to do with the movie or book. BUT it is printed on so much merchandise with the Song of the South characters ...

Yeah, and the difference with TRON is that while it wasn't a huge success financially, it left a strong imprint in popular culture and has a sizeable cult following. The original arcade video game actually made more money than the movie did, but still, that kept TRON as something people are aware of, even if they don't love it or have never seen it.

Last edited:
I hate to see the old rides and attractions disappear. There is something about the nostalgia. There is something about taking the kids, and soon to be grandkids, on the same rides that I went on as a kid.

But there is something about progress too. Sure, the 20,000 leagues under the sea ride was fun, but it was also a ride that took up a lot of space, and could not handle many guests per hour. But if they never got rid of that, you would never have gotten 7DMT.

What I do wish Disney would do, is before there remove a ride, take all the 360 degree high definition recording of it. Then load that "Attraction" up in a simulator. Imagine being at the Contemporary (or any hotel, or any mall anywhere in the world) and for $5 being able to "ride" the WDW skyway, or Body Wars, or the old Sorrin movie, or one of 20 other "experiences".

I hate to see the old rides and attractions disappear. There is something about the nostalgia. There is something about taking the kids, and soon to be grandkids, on the same rides that I went on as a kid.

But there is something about progress too. Sure, the 20,000 leagues under the sea ride was fun, but it was also a ride that took up a lot of space, and could not handle many guests per hour. But if they never got rid of that, you would never have gotten 7DMT.

What I do wish Disney would do, is before there remove a ride, take all the 360 degree high definition recording of it. Then load that "Attraction" up in a simulator. Imagine being at the Contemporary (or any hotel, or any mall anywhere in the world) and for $5 being able to "ride" the WDW skyway, or Body Wars, or the old Sorrin movie, or one of 20 other "experiences".

You might like this if you have a VR headset (you can watch it without).

They recreated 20,000 Leagues and it gives a full ride-through. It is scaled up some so you can see more, but it's really cool. This could definitely be more easily created for a ride that is still around since they could film it, but this is as good as it gets for something older. They plan to make more, but I don't know the status currently.

You might like this if you have a VR headset (you can watch it without).
Thank you for that!. I will have my son load it up on his VR when he gets home form school. Sounds amazing...
They plan to make more, but I don't know the status currently.

I have to admit, I never though about the VR angle. I originally thought about one of those 12 passenger simulations that could be at Dave and Busters, or just at one of the Malls in general. I thought it would be a great deal for Disney to do themselves. Choose twenty attractions, both old and new, across all their properties.

Then I can walk in to the local Simon Mall or Tanger Outlet Mall, and ride the skyway (they could "create" this with ease today with a single drone recording), or perhaps the Tokyo version of the Tower of Terror.

But, I really like the idea of watching it on your own VR...

Thank you for that!. I will have my son load it up on his VR when he gets home form school. Sounds amazing...

I have to admit, I never though about the VR angle. I originally thought about one of those 12 passenger simulations that could be at Dave and Busters, or just at one of the Malls in general. I thought it would be a great deal for Disney to do themselves. Choose twenty attractions, both old and new, across all their properties.

Then I can walk in to the local Simon Mall or Tanger Outlet Mall, and ride the skyway (they could "create" this with ease today with a single drone recording), or perhaps the Tokyo version of the Tower of Terror.

But, I really like the idea of watching it on your own VR...

no offense but I think the idea of walking into an outlet mall and riding a vr Disney attraction really cheapens the experience.

He's not in the ride at all. Not seen, not mentioned. If you haven't seen the movie, which most people haven't, you'd have no idea who he even is. There's also no connection to James Baskett or his Oscar. This is even more grasping at straws than the arguments that taking down confederate statues is erasing history.

I don't necessarily disagree with the message of the film, what it comes down to is how that message was delivered that's the problem. I do feel like open discussion is always something that should occur, in this case, we are talking about a movie that almost everyone who's seen it can understand at a bare minimum there's a racist undertone, and which is so far removed, and covered up, that most people haven't even seen it. I think it's an appropriate move on Disneys end. I love the ride like so many on here, but can understand why a company with a PR issue that they can be resolved so easily, would decide to move on from it.

I think you are correct that there can be joy even in suffering, but slavery and the great depression are completely different beasts, both were awful, but only one was EVIL, and any depiction showing slavery, or in this case, the post slavery south, in a good light is insulting and dehumanizing. i think there can be a discussion about the movie, (essentially to talk about why movies like that shouldn't happen again). I just think you're broad brushing suffering, it isn't all created equal

I think you are correct that there can be joy even in suffering, but slavery and the great depression are completely different beasts, both were awful, but only one was EVIL, and any depiction showing slavery, or in this case, the post slavery south, in a good light is insulting and dehumanizing. i think there can be a discussion about the movie, (essentially to talk about why movies like that shouldn't happen again). I just think you're broad brushing suffering, it isn't all created equal

Yeah, the issue has to do with a lack of context and that's important. It's one thing to tell a story and acknowledge the issues of the time and another to just gloss over those issues like they weren't there.

Yeah, and the difference with TRON is that while it wasn't a huge success financially, it left a strong imprint in popular culture and has a sixeable cult following. The original arcade video game actually made more money than the movie did, but still, that kept TRON as something people are aware of, even if they don't love it or have never seen it.
Yeah, the issue has to do with a lack of context and that's important. It's one thing to tell a story and acknowledge the issues of the time and another to just gloss over those issues like they weren't there.
Well put!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter