Splash mountain refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love SM but understand why the current theming needs to go
Yes I have read about it and I somewhat understand. But I do think that Disney is a global company and those subtle messages are only true and understood by the American audience. I watched the movie many times as a child in Italian and as the translation goes nothing offensive or off putting is said. A bit like the crows in Dumbo in Italian they don't have accents of any kinds they are just funny crows. No one would ever think that there is something offensive about them.

Anyway my post was particularly just about the music in the splash mountain area that it really screamed diseny to me. This is personal, of course, but the P&f didn't have a particularly strong soundtrack.

When is it supposed to be finished? When I was last there (January 2020), it was closed for refurbishment and we really missed it!

Yes I have read about it and I somewhat understand. But I do think that Disney is a global company and those subtle messages are only true and understood by the American audience. I watched the movie many times as a child in Italian and as the translation goes nothing offensive or off putting is said. A bit like the crows in Dumbo in Italian they don't have accents of any kinds they are just funny crows. No one would ever think that there is something offensive about them.

Anyway my post was particularly just about the music in the splash mountain area that it really screamed diseny to me. This is personal, of course, but the P&f didn't have a particularly strong soundtrack.
I get it. I have really strong associations with music and I love the SM music because I heard it before I understood.

But…there’s just no way around the fact that Song of the South is genuinely racist even if unintentionally and maybe even unknowingly so at the time it was made.

The song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" will be forever banished, never again to greet shoppers at Walgreens with the adage that Uncle Remus is back. Or am I the only one to remember that soundtrack pumped into local stores? The stories within the film about outsmarting one's enemies should outlast the treatment given in the movie. Anyone enterprising enough out there to take the core nuggets of street smarts and make another vehicle to bring the messages home?

The stories within the film about outsmarting one's enemies should outlast the treatment given in the movie. Anyone enterprising enough out there to take the core nuggets of street smarts and make another vehicle to bring the messages home?

I have often said that Disney could still use these stories - rehab them and remake them appropriate voice actors, etc. Obviously they would need to be adjusted some for modern sensibilities, but the folktales could certainly endure.

Last edited:
In the United States, Disney will neither show "Song of the South" in theaters nor release the movie on DVD. This, plus the continuing retheming of Splash Mountain, diminishes James Baskett's groundbreaking accomplishment. This was an accomplishment that should be heralded by Disney, both in the ride and the movie.

oh if i really dove into the why, I got a feeling this thread would be shut down real quick.
You know why, you're just looking to argue or complain.

For the record, i completely understand why its being rethemed, i'm not a big fan of what they're changing it to. I dont think it fits with the area its in, and can be redone to something else that fits with the wilderness theme.

But i get it.

oh if i really dove into the why, I got a feeling this thread would be shut down real quick.
You know why, you're just looking to argue or complain.

For the record, i completely understand why its being rethemed, i'm not a big fan of what they're changing it to. I dont think it fits with the area its in, and can be redone to something else that fits with the wilderness theme.

But i get it.
David Crockett or brother bear would have been better, more adventure related.

I will miss my zippedidodah soundtrack very much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter