Spinoff: what were your best hotel breakfasts?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
I guess there's a lot of talk about this on the other thread. I've stayed at everything from cheap motels where they barely had cheap coffee, a mini-fridge with milk cartons and yogurt, and some nearly stale pastries/bread, to some places where I'd think I'd be spending $30 on the breakfast buffet if I had to pay for it separately. Of course in some cases it did cost extra (as part of a premium room rate), I had to present a coupon that I got during check-in, and/or every guest got it for free without any kind of check that someone might have just wandered in. A few of the breakfast rooms actually required a room key to enter.

I guess some of the nicer ones were when I stayed at Hyatt Place locations. The coffee was quite good, they had some of my favorites including steel cut oatmeal, and biscuits and gravy. Once I was staying with my in-laws, and they had no idea what the sausage gravy and put it in bowls thinking it was some kind of soup. There were a few hotels where the included breakfast had made to order omelettes.

It may be kind of a gray area, but a few places we had to use a special room rate that included breakfast at an additional price that cost less than paying for it off the street. We stayed at a few high-end hotels like this in China on this big trip we took. Many of the moderately priced hotels in China traditionally offer a basic breakfast for all hotel guests, but often newer hotels affiliated with "western" chains don't. We had some friends help us get special rates, including one five-star hotel that cost us maybe $70 a night that included the breakfast. In Shanghai we stayed at the Four Seasons Pudong, which frankly messed up our expectations for hotel stays in the future. However, the breakfast was stellar with everything from typical Chinese breakfast items to omelettes and European style pastries. On top of that, I think their service manager was English (judging by his accent when he asked me if I wanted more coffee) even though most of the guests there were Chinese.

Perhaps one of the most bizarre case was when I was visiting Yosemite during the winter. I didn't stay inside the park, but outside at a motel in Mariposa. I went into the breakfast room, which was in an unattached building across the parking lot. They had a single attendant who seemed a bit uninterested. They had their standard spread. However, when I checked out I noted how barren the place seemed. The desk clerk informed me that they only had two rooms occupied that night. They actually had more employees than guests that night.

I've spent a lot of time in Intercontinentals - literal months at the one in London on the park. For that assignment we could have room service or go down for breakfast and it was always stellar. They even let us in for the brunches with free flowing drinks. Those were some of the best breakfasts I've ever had and I just looked it up, yep, apparently considered one of the best breakfasts in London.

We usually stay at Hampton Inns when we are on the road, and they seem to be basically the same. Powdered eggs, biscuits and gravy, fruit, pastries, etc.

It was at the Marcus Whitman Hotel in Walla Walla, WA. We were in town for a college visit and the included breakfast was the highlight of our stay - homemade granola and jam and amazing biscuits. Lots of other tasty food too, but the biscuits are what I really remember - they were so good!

We stayed in a hotel in London that had the best breakfast spread I've ever seen - all included with the (relatively cheap) hotel rate. It was a full buffet + a menu with items that could be ordered. We ate like kings and then were able to stretch until almost dinner before needing another meal (a plus when traveling with a full schedule!). We traveled to Dublin after that and our hotel offered nothing so we were quite sad.

Last fall I was staying at the JW Marriott in LA and their room service breakfast was top notch. Sometimes room service can taste similar to hotel banquet food but it was all excellent. It was not included with the rate, of course.

I'm not big on continental breakfast so any hotel that offers a few hot items is a win to me.

The White Swan Hotel in Guangzhou China. It offers an gourmet international selection. It was fascinating to see and try items from all over the world.

Portofino Bay at Universal had a pretty impressive spread for a not too outrageous price.

The Marriott in Denver had an awesome Sunday brunch.

The best free one, probably Embassy Suites.

On the other hand, the worst was at somewhat skeevy Super 8 somewhere off the interstate exit in Kentucky. A few bags of generic Malt-O-Meal cereal, stale white bread and English muffins, giant tubs of generic brand margarine and peanut butter, horrible coffee from a machine, etc. We just got coffee and were scared off by the food.

Last edited:
My mom and I went on an all inclusive tour of Hawaii in 1972. Air fare, hotel, all ground transportation and transfers, 3 meals a day, breakfast always in the hotel. Always a buffet for breakfast and always amazing.
We are Holiday Inn Express folks now, pretty standard fare. Always eggs of some sort, sausage, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, fruit cereal, pretty darn good coffee, a machine that makes pancakes in less than a minute and oh, those cinnamon rolls they advertise like crazy. THOSE aren't anything special, but I am one of those odd folks who think cinnamon rolls HAVE to have raisins in them.

Perhaps one of the most bizarre case was when I was visiting Yosemite during the winter. I didn't stay inside the park, but outside at a motel in Mariposa. I went into the breakfast room, which was in an unattached building across the parking lot. They had a single attendant who seemed a bit uninterested. They had their standard spread. However, when I checked out I noted how barren the place seemed. The desk clerk informed me that they only had two rooms occupied that night. They actually had more employees than guests that night.

I've lived 150 miles from Yosemite for 60 years and never been. We're talking about going in the fall. What I have been hearing right now, at peak season, you can't even get out of the car it is sooo packed, and the new company running the park isn't doing things very well.

I'm always a fan of the spread at embassy suites. DH travels overseas with our girls to dance competitions, he's a huge fan of the complimentary full breakfasts in England, Ireland, and Scotland.

My mom and I went on an all inclusive tour of Hawaii in 1972. Air fare, hotel, all ground transportation and transfers, 3 meals a day, breakfast always in the hotel. Always a buffet for breakfast and always amazing.
We are Holiday Inn Express folks now, pretty standard fare. Always eggs of some sort, sausage, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, fruit cereal, pretty darn good coffee, a machine that makes pancakes in less than a minute and oh, those cinnamon rolls they advertise like crazy. THOSE aren't anything special, but I am one of those odd folks who think cinnamon rolls HAVE to have raisins in them.

Well - once we stayed at a "B&B" on the Big Island - myself, my wife, and my in-laws. Breakfast was included. It wasn't the kind where the host is cooking in the kitchen and everyone gets to eat in a dining room. All the rooms had separate entrances. It was Quaker instant oatmeal packets, some fruit, and bananas. I think they had yogurt too. The irony was that when we arrived the host asked for $20 to pay for the additional cost of materials for four instead of two. She claimed that the online booking service we used couldn't handle a different rate for extra guests, even though I could enter how many guests up to the published maximum. However, I think we were "upgraded" to a larger room. It wasn't a bad experience, but they did seem a bit on the cheap side, with a stack of well worn towels and 99 cent toiletries like Suave shampoo.

I think we might have also violated our car's rental agreement for parking on gravel.

I was in Paris for business and the hotel included a very nice sit down breakfast every day. My two co-workers were embarrassing though, asking for butter and ketchup and stuff.

I also recommend Embassy Suites. It's impressive that they're able to include such a huge breakfast spread in the price of the room.

I was in Paris for business and the hotel included a very nice sit down breakfast every day. My two co-workers were embarrassing though, asking for butter and ketchup and stuff.

I don't know if butter is that much of a strange request, but ketchup is a bit odd in France.

I know of this takeout place operated by a French expat in my area. He has some incredible potato sides like these creamy potato puffs made from potato puree with a crispy shell. He also has some killer fries. I've seen people ask for ketchup, and he obliges. I thought it would be something exotic, but I saw him just taking a Heinz squeeze bottle and squeezing it into little takeout cups.

for me the one that sticks out is Disneyland Hotel at Disneyland Paris. Buffet breakfast of cooked and regular breakfast items. It was a mix of UK / Irish / Central Europe and American breakfasts. Sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs and English baked beans, with buttermilk pancakes and maple syrup, selection of sliced cheeses and cold meats, fruit, yogurts, cereal, toast and sweet pastries.

Sitting now in a beach hotel in Sarasota with a kitchen. We try to get a kitchen when available and cook mostly on our own. We don't care to eat out so much, especially breakfast.

Our hotel in Quebec City included a breakfast picnic basket every morning. It included croissants, pastries, fresh fruit, fresh squeezed OJ, homemade jam and yogurt. We could customize it to our taste. I don't like a full sit-down breakfast in the morning. It was nice to have something to eat in the room before going out for the day. Anything left over we saved for snacking later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter