Spaceship Earth to close for 2+ years?

News/Rumor

Spaceship Earth to close for over two years?

https://wdwnt.com/2018/10/sse2yearclosure/

definitely a bummer - but if they are able to make something spectacular for decades to come I can live with it

By the time it closes should at least be Rat open and Guardians shouldn't be too far off, correct? Plus maybe the Mary Poppins ride and a coming new country or two ... guess my point is that during this time that it would be down I don't think there would be huge demand for FP for SSE in it's current form

I know timing wouldn’t be good but for a lengthy refurbishment like that is timing ever good?
No it's not for sure but the time frame given is excessive IMO (I know some would disagree).

My perspective could be vastly different than someone else's who says "well I'll just go on it next time" yeah..well that next time for me could be 6, 7, 8 years from then. If I didn't go during the 50th it would likely be 2023 (as that's 6 years from my last trip) or after depending on a variety of factors (like kids and whatnot) so with the present rumor that wouldn't be impacted and all would likely be well. But still was wanting to go during the 50th though that was just my wish not a concrete plan.

ETA: I should really add a good portion of my concern comes from construction world-you know the delays in both starting and ending, the grandeur of the plan and if it stays that way versus gets cut back (whether from budgetary reasons or logistics reasons or both), etc.

Last edited:

I also wonder now, if the spine renewal and other changes to FW are now targeted for EPCOT 40 instead of WDW 50th? If so, that could explain why we have not heard final plans for UK, and Brazil and such...

TWO YEARS without spaceship earth?? :worried:
A "refurb" that long feels like the whole ride will change. Gutted and replaced with something new . .and probably do something different with the exit area.

Future World isn't going to be future world anymore .. the "edutainment" remnants of Spaceship Earth, the Land and The Seas will probably be gone in a few years.

I also wonder now, if the spine renewal and other changes to FW are now targeted for EPCOT 40 instead of WDW 50th? If so, that could explain why we have not heard final plans for UK, and Brazil and such...
Martin has mentioned a few times that they are targeting the Epcot 40th instead of the MK 50th because they keep pushing things back. No way they get all of the non-announced things done in time for the 50th at this point.

News/Rumor

TWO YEARS without spaceship earth?? :worried:

I'm in shock! It's not a trip to Epcot without spaceship earth!!!! It will be missed :sad:

C'mon guys - can we please remember this is WDWNT. Don't get worked up about anything that they post. Their reliability is maybe 25%. I'll point out the Great Movie Ride - M&MRR changeover is around 2 years. You really think a refurb on SSE is going to take 2.5 years?

A "refurb" that long feels like the whole ride will change. Gutted and replaced with something new . .and probably do something different with the exit area.

Future World isn't going to be future world anymore .. the "edutainment" remnants of Spaceship Earth, the Land and The Seas will probably be gone in a few years.

It sounds like not something completely new - same basic ride, just redoing the ride system, small updates to the early scenes and then major updates to the post Industrial Revolution scenes (which, to be honest I am all for as they need to keep updating and modern/future scenes to stay relevant - otherwise you wind up with a Carousel of Progress situation where the "future" looks outdated), and then the post ride area would be completely new

C'mon guys - can we please remember this is WDWNT. Don't get worked up about anything that they post. Their reliability is maybe 25%. I'll point out the Great Movie Ride - M&MRR changeover is around 2 years. You really think a refurb on SSE is going to take 2.5 years?

Though I feel like the idea of a pretty major refurb for SSE has been out there from other sources as well - maybe not the 2 years part, but the idea of small updates to the early scenes and then major updates to the post Industrial Revolution scenes (which, to be honest I am all for as they need to keep updating and modern/future scenes to stay relevant - otherwise you wind up with a Carousel of Progress situation where the "future" looks outdated).

Not sure if the idea of needing to redo the tracks is new as well - but it is almost 35 years old, not sure if/when the track and ride system were ever redone before

News/Rumor

The ride could certainly use an update post paperboy, but 2.5 years is a long time for anything but a complete rebuild. Hopefully they can give us a bigger Rome burning area with lots more smell.

And seriously, another projection show. At this rate we'll have more of those than rides in a few years.

I just want to add that Martin says this has some legs but there are several plans for Epcot and this is just one of the possibilities.

They don’t name a source.... wild speculation?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!