Space Shuttle Launches Viewing Tips? Etc?

I read on another board that Friday's launch was the last night launch ever. Does anybody know if this is true? I know there are only 9 (I think) launches left. It has always been a dream of mine to see one and I would really love to try and schedule it before they are over. I live in Nebraska so not an easy trip to plan considering delays etc. I would most like to see a night launch so I was very sad to hear this might have been the last. Anybody know? TIA!

I watched the launch from my front yard Friday night and I can tell you...it was the most spectacular launch I've seen. The night sky suddenly glowing orange from the exhaust and the moonlight and a few clouds thrown in for good measure. It was amazing! If I had thought about it, I would have taken some pictures but I didn't.

I know this is after the fact of the launch but when my mom and dad took me in 1988 I saw a space shuttle launch and let me tell you I WILL NEVER FORGET IT! And I wasn't a kind that "wanted to be an astronaunt when I grew up" I also saw Shamu being born. The waiting (seemed like FOREVER for an 8 yo) I could have done without but again I WILL NEVER EVER FORGET THAT EXPERINCE!!! Kudos to mom for doing other stuff to make our vacas special! :lovestruc

I read on another board that Friday's launch was the last night launch ever. Does anybody know if this is true? I know there are only 9 (I think) launches left. It has always been a dream of mine to see one and I would really love to try and schedule it before they are over. I live in Nebraska so not an easy trip to plan considering delays etc. I would most like to see a night launch so I was very sad to hear this might have been the last. Anybody know? TIA!

Sorry I do not know...but what do you mean there is only going to be 9 launches left? What does that mean?

It is not true that this was the last night launch, just a rumor that even some news stations and the Orlando Sentinel fell for. It has come up the last three night launches for some reason.

The next shuttle launch, for example, needs only to delay two days to be a night launch (currently being just after sunrise)...see next post.

There are currently nine space shuttle launches remaining, with a tenth seeming likely to be approved. However, the possibility exists that the new administration will try to achieve funding in ways such as to allow the shuttle to continue flying during the "gap" as they move towards the new Consellation program, whose first manned mission is slated for 2014-2015 right now. So, it is possible there are more than nine or ten remaining. For now, the last mission is slated for mid-2010.

We saw the Nov. 14 shuttle launch. Wow, that was awesome. We followed BPCooper's directions to get the best view of launch. Thanks BPCooper your directions were spot on! :cheer2: :yay: :dance3:

Elizabeth

Our planned day to visit is potentially a landing day. How is KSC on a landing day? Is the Up close tour cut short? Is it possible to see the landing well from on-site or would it be better to go off site to watch? I called KSC to ask about the tour and really didn't geta good answer : )

Our planned day to visit is potentially a landing day. How is KSC on a landing day? Is the Up close tour cut short? Is it possible to see the landing well from on-site or would it be better to go off site to watch? I called KSC to ask about the tour and really didn't geta good answer : )

Landing day should not affect tours, and has not from what I recall.

There are no good places to see landing. You may see it airborne from a distance, but otherwise it's like watching a fast moving plane land from many miles away and it will disappear behind the trees as it touches down.

You will easily hear the twin sonic booms, however.

Landing day should not affect tours, and has not from what I recall.

There are no good places to see landing. You may see it airborne from a distance, but otherwise it's like watching a fast moving plane land from many miles away and it will disappear behind the trees as it touches down.

You will easily hear the twin sonic booms, however.

Thanks - we'll just go on with our visit as planned and if we see something - great - if not- DS will still enjoy it immensely (again).

I forgot to come back here and thank BPCooper.

We got over to the Cape around 3:oo p.m. and I spotted the tv station satellite truck, so I knew we were in the correct spot. We camped out on the sidewalk by the beach railing and took one of the last spots without falling into the water.
I helped my son study for some college exams, read a book and took a nap.
We got to know everyone around us.
3 college guys from Germany that were on Fall Break
2 people from Scotland that live in Florida 3 months
Another couple from England on their honeymoon
I think we were the only one's from the U.S.
You could hear all different languages spoken all afternoon.

Right before launch we had someone that tried setting up a tri-pod (camera) on top of me.
I turned around and said, "seriously", I've been here since 3:00 p.m. I am not sitting under your tri-pod and if I tip it over, I would not be responsible. If you wanted to do that, you should of gotten here earlier. The lady actually walked away and left her camera and tri-pod there. About 2 minutes later, she came huffing back over and told me it was her husbands fault that they didn't get here earlier.
I didn't want to get in a fight with her, but I told her to please move her tri-pod, so I could stand up.
She finally grabbed everything and left. I know she wanted to get a good picture, but so did I. I could not move an inch. If I would of moved even slightly, I know I would of knocked it over.

Other than that, it was really something to see. Everyone cheered and laughed and cried. I am really glad we took the time to stay and watch.

We got out of our parking lot really fast, but it took over 2 hours to get back to Orlando. The tolls booths slowed everthing down.

Well I am glad to hear that and for the feedback. I guess you were in Titusville? Did you get any photos?

Well I am glad to hear that and for the feedback. I guess you were in Titusville? Did you get any photos?

Mine was a spec. It was so small. I only had my little digital camera. I know what it is when I see it. I'll try to make it larger and post it here.

This will be the third time we have been in Florida when the shuttle launches and this time, we definitely want to see it!:thumbsup2 I have several questions...Any tips on where we can go to see the launch? Any places outside of the space center? When should we get there? What will the crowds be like? Any good places to eat in the area? How do we get there from WDW? Thanks for your help!:goodvibes

The answer is it is possible to watch the launch of Space shuttles..

No earlier than Feb. 22 now. Feb. 22 launch time would be 3:31am and the time continues to get earlier by 23-25 minutes each subsequent day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter