Space Shuttle Launches Viewing Tips? Etc?

I just got an email from NASA and the launch is postponed again, with no new date. This will also change the Nov. date also.

A major malfunction occurred this weekend aboard the Hubble Space Telescope, unfortunately and coincidentally right before the mission to service it.

The mission is likely to be postponed to next year at this point, with the following November mission launching first and staying where it is around Nov.16.

Details will be given at a NASA press conference which has been called upon for later today.

We were invited to this launch and our email says 125 will now launch no earlier than Feb 2009.

Liz

The next launch, STS-126/Endeavour is officially moved up two days and is targeted for the night of Nov. 14 at 7:55pm EST.

We saw it on the Florida tunrpike when we stopped for gas. You can see the flames behing the shuttle. It's not as big as you might think but you could tell it was the shuttle. It's visible for a few minutes before it turns.

Man we are hoping that the space shuttle launch for November stays in our vacation time. I called and extended our trip by two days when I saw they moved it to the 16th. Now, the 14th that is in our original dates. We need extra, extra pixie dust to keep this date a go for the shuttle launch.
Does anyone know anything about Merritt Island? What I want to find out is where is the best place to try to see Manatee's in November.

Launches aren't that tough to see. I used to see them all the time back home in Coral Springs (down near Ft Lauderdale).

so is October 14 officially cancelled? I really hope not, It was going to be a special thing to see for my sons 11th bday.

so is October 14 officially cancelled? I really hope not, It was going to be a special thing to see for my sons 11th bday.

Yes, the STS-125 launch was postponed to early 2009. The STS-126 launch in November is the next shuttle launch.

Tickets to view the STS-126 launch from the NASA Causeway and KSC Visitor Complex will go on-sale at 9:00 a.m. EDT, Wednesday, October 8 at:

http://www.ksctickets.com/ltt.html

...as well as by phone at 321-449-4400.

Launch ticket orders cannot be placed via email or by leaving a voice mail message. You must place your order online or by speaking to a reservation agent.

STS-126 is targeted to launch on November 14 at 7:55 p.m. EDT on a logistics, supply & repair mission to the International Space Station.

I was so tempted to purchase the tickets, but I just don't trust the time. I'm going to take my chances and drive over to find a decent spot. Okay, now where is that link that shows the other good spots to watch.

I did not read all of the previous postings. We went over in June of 2002, I know, long ago. We drove to Cape Canaveral, down to Cocoa Beach, then up to Titusville. We found a field on the river where we could park and see the launch pad. Obviously it's a social gathering for those folks who live there. Cars, trucks, radios, binoculars, picnic baskets. It was great. I would do it again in a heartbeat. We had no traffic issues at all and it was a really special day. The only thing I would have done differently is have a pair of binoculars of my own. I even got some really good shots with a disposable camera.:yay:

YES!!!:banana:

We are at WDW on October 14 and will probably rent a car to drive to SVP at Titusville for this. 10:19 pm is so much more appealing than 12:30 in the morning, too. Thanks for the updates, BPCooper!

I think it would be cool to get a few people together to rent a van or something and see the launch from Titusville. It'd be nice to spread the cost out some.

Our trip to WDW is this week! We leave the world for home on Fri 11/14 and will catch the night launch on the beach in New Smyrna. Does anyone know of any news radio stations in that part of FL that might cover the launch?

Our trip to WDW is this week! We leave the world for home on Fri 11/14 and will catch the night launch on the beach in New Smyrna. Does anyone know of any news radio stations in that part of FL that might cover the launch?

You are only 30 mins north of having front row seats in Titusville (in fact New Smyrna involves driving a ways off 95 to get to the beach anyway). You should try to see it from there if you can, you won't regret it.

Kind of a stupid question..

Our flight get's in at 5:09 pm on the 14 at MCO. Is air traffic "halted" before a launch? Due to all the traffic on the Beachline, and the various posts, we are going to WDW and check in. Look's like the Poly resort and the beach to see the launch. And grab a drink. Thanks BP.

Also any chance this new hurricane could hit S. Flordia? And delay the launch.

:sail:

We board a ship, that is to depart at 5:30. Will we be able to see anything> Maybe someone else has had the same experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter