Soup ideas

I Love soups. And I love Stews. But I think some of these I would consider stews more than soups. What is the distinction is there some line drawn in the pan.

That's good stuff but very salty, IMO. If anyone's never tried it, start with less than you think. You can always add more but can;t easily deal with waaay too much salt.

That stuff's great to stir into roast beef gravy if your meat juices aren't very flavorful. Really perks up the flavor.

Enokis are very delicate looking white mushrooms with spindly stems about 2" long or less. Shimejis are similar.

Put either in just before serving a soup as they cook in a short time and lose flavor if overcooked.

The drawback to both is that they don't keep well past a couple days in the fridge.

We like a stir-fry of fresh sliced shiitakes, oyster mushrooms and a mixture of enoki, beech (similar) and shimejis with sliced shallots as a side dish. Splash or two of tamari right before serving. YUMlicious.
I hear you. I don’t use the amt listed on the jar which is probably one tsp per cup as that measurement is too salty for me as well. I generally make a 1/2 gal of soup and if I’m using no other broth or stock 5 to 6 tsps is enough.

Finally! I meet the other person on the planet who prefers Rhode Island chowder! I'm not such a fan of cream soups, although I'll eat New England or Manhattan chowders. FWIW, I have a great RI Chowder recipe from Abbott's Lobsters. Technically in Connecticut, but close to the RI border. I grew up in the area, and whenever we go back, we go to Abbott's and get the chowder (and a nice lobster, eaten out on the dock--mind the seagulls!)
I actually want to try Rhode Island chowder. I’ve heard of it but never seen it anywhere. I prefer Manhattan to New England—partially because it’s healthier. I think I’d like Rhode Island as well.

I actually want to try Rhode Island chowder. I’ve heard of it but never seen it anywhere. I prefer Manhattan to New England—partially because it’s healthier. I think I’d like Rhode Island as well.
You can find it throughout the CT coast and RI and it’s surely worth the trip. You can easily make it yourself: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/rhode-island-clam-chowder-recipe-2109252

I use pork belly instead of bacon and add a bit of white wine but it’s not really necessary

So DD is making some corn chowdah today which should be amazing.

This CT & RI clam chowder sounds intriguing. Some stores have shelled clams, do you think it would be OK instead of making with the shells because if I buy clams with shells they are not going to make it to the soup stage, yum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter