Son needs a Job - but I have a question about a job he lost

sammielynn

DIS Veteran
MY DS23 is a college grad with a degree in Computer Science. He is having a really hard time finding that first real job. His degree is in Database Management and all the jobs we can find want 4 - 6 years of experience. So he took a part-time job at a hotel as a desk clerk just to have some income. One evening he was the only person working in the office and a guest comes to check in and demands a discount that my son was not authorized to give her. He told her no several time, she persisted and persisted. It was a busy evening, and he finally snapped and told her that he could not do that because it would come back and bite him in the A--. He was fired and she got her room for free. Now this one statement is keeping him from getting another part-time job, he is being truthful about what happened with anyone he talks to. Do any of you have any suggestions for him in a job hunt? How should he address this issue. He worked there for 7 months?

He does not need to go into such great detail about this issue. Just tell him to say he had a disagreement with an agressive customer or something like that and leave it at that.

As far as getting experience, he can volunteer somewhere. My niece's huusband is volunteering at a church in audio/video. Thsi will give him experience so that he will hopefully get a job he wants.

As someone who has worked in a college career center, my best advise would be to use this past experience as a learning experience for the next job. He can talk about how he exercised poor judgment and knows how that not only affected himself but also the business's reputation.

Has he been in touch with the career center where he went to school? Our university helps all former students with employment, no matter how long they have been out of school.

My DS also graduated in May and is working at a pizza place part-time, so I feel your pain. I agree, just say he had a problem with an aggressive guest and leave it at that.

He does not have to say 1 word about being fired and what he said. He just needs to say that he is now pursuing a different avenue. His former boss can not tell any future employer that he was fired and the reasoning behind it. BTDT from experience.

He does not have to say 1 word about being fired and what he said. He just needs to say that he is now pursuing a different avenue. His former boss can not tell any future employer that he was fired and the reasoning behind it. BTDT from experience.

Ditto that. He doesn't need to say he was fired at all. I too know this from experience.

My best advice for right now is to look into one of the seasonal UPS or Fedex job if you are in driving distance of a warehouse. They are terrible hours (usually 2nd and 3rd shift) and really hard work but the pay is decent (usually around $12 an hour) and other employers look upon successful completion of it positively because it shows commitment to a difficult job.

Then have him get with a Temporary Employment agency and if they have anywhere they can place him.

Volunteering is another good idea. My son volunteered with the Habitat for Humanity Restore and it got him a summer Job Offer with Lowes.

It is true that he does not have to share the reason he "left" his prior employment. On a different note, did he apply for Unemployment benefits. You can receive them if you were fired, many people don't know that. Have him check in to that for a little help in the interim.

I also have a degree in CS, and have worked in the software industry now for almost 20 years.

What I can tell you is that companies typically fall into two categories:
- Ones that only want experienced people. Most small to mid-size software houses fall into this category. These are the companies advertising in the places you are likely looking.
- Ones that are willing to take on new grads. These are typically larger organizations, that are willing to take on people and train them. They often want folks that graduated with only A or high B averages though - if your son didn't have that than you are really starting in a hard spot. These companies also don't always pay the best - a person starting out just out of school will often be disappointed in the pay level. Once you earn your stripes though and show what you can do then you will advance. (It's just amazing the number of people that manage to get a degree but really have no aptitude for the industry - you have to get past that barrier and prove you do have it.)

I would say what you need to do is research what companies generally take on new grads. One of the best ways is to look at the companies that make campus recruiting trips, at either your university or others. When I came out of school so many years ago, these were generally large banks, large consulting companies (must be willing to travel - a lot - and put in really long hours), oil companies and a few large government organizations. Some large tech companies do as well, but you really better be able to show why you are the best compared to other grads.

Also look for internships - either paid or unpaid. Again, that's another way companies weed out who has the "right stuff" and who doesn't. Companies that have internships are also more likely to hire new grads than ones that don't.

That his employer cannot say he was fired--this is dependent on the policies of the company. If the company doesn't have a policy regarding this, if they are called they can say he was fired & why.

While I do feel for your son, I do hope he learned from this experience--he cannot blow up or swear at a job.

Great advice here--don't mention the firing unless asked, be very PC (tho honest) about why, volunteer & be willing to work anywhere....

I agree, be honest, an aggressive customer.

But in his field, he should have no trouble finding a job. My son can't seem to find time to get his degree because he keeps getting better jobs in the computer industry.

That his employer cannot say he was fired--this is dependent on the policies of the company. If the company doesn't have a policy regarding this, if they are called they can say he was fired & why.

While I do feel for your son, I do hope he learned from this experience--he cannot blow up or swear at a job.

Great advice here--don't mention the firing unless asked, be very PC (tho honest) about why, volunteer & be willing to work anywhere....

Concur.

Also as an host/interviewer for recent college grads we really do expect a lot of job changes from our young applicants.

We are starting our college campus recruiting the end of this month up until Thanks giving with an eye on hiring the first of the year.

I know for us outside of the general questions about the job, we don't delve much into it.

Also don't hesitate to take seasonal work. My oldest son took a seasonal job at UPS last December and they made him permanent. He's unfortunately on the grave yard shift but he gets shift differential pay and he's making more than if he was in retail. He's now networking to see if he can get hired on full time while he's doing the plumbing apprenticeship. lol.

Have him look into contract jobs. They will provide experience for the resume and sometimes lead to full time employment. I hire IP engineers and most of my new hires are temp to perm. I prefer to "try before I buy" since so many people can exaggerate technical skills on a resume and bluff in an interview.

HTH

Jill in CO

Your son needs to be using every mentor he may have had at school to help him find work in his field. If he is not applying to jobs simply because they state experience is required, that is the wrong approach. He might be hired anyway if he can demonstrate something that impresses those hiring. If not for the present opening, then something else later. He needs to be communicating with his professors to see what they can advise. He could be seeking community college classes in other computer languages, certifications, or teaching himself other skills. (He might learn of jobs or make good contacts in the classes.) What he learned in college may already be stale. Employers want employees who can solve problems, not just do things in order to pass a test at college. Does he know any software engineering? If not, that is something he might work on.

Unless he is filling out government forms which require every job, he might use a functional resume which states what he can do and only those internships and research projects he has done which relate to his field.

He might volunteer for computer-related work at a church or other organization or several, anything that will demonstrate his skills and build his resume. Service-oriented work is not especially helpful.

Another option is the military.

Going in with a college degree is a definite advantage. Plenty of jobs in all branches that are within his scope of expertise. Pay might not be stellar to start off with, but it's enough to live and the benefits of serving are numerous.

I know this option is a very personal decision but one worth mentioning. My husband proudly served and it changed our lives. I can only hope that one of my children decide to follow in his footsteps.

Other than that it's a matter of pounding the pavement, taking whatever is offered until something better comes along and use every resource available. The last 3 jobs I've had I found on Craigslist of all places. I also agree with previous posters, no need to disclose exactly how his previous job ended.

Good luck to your son.

Send him up here to Fargo. We need workers, lots and lots of good workers. He won't just get a job he will find a career. Everything from IT, banking to restaurants. Heck even some of the fast food joints are offering a sign on bonus. If you can't get a job here you are not trying very hard. Help wanted signs all over. The last number I saw was something like a 2.8 unemployment rate in Fargo area.

Yes its cold but there are jobs in everything from Ag, Oil, banking, service sector, IT, manufacturing, etc. etc.

The state has Billions in the bank and isn't spending it like drunkin sailors and is positioning itself very very well for the future.

Another option is the military.

Going in with a college degree is a definite advantage. Plenty of jobs in all branches that are within his scope of expertise. Pay might not be stellar to start off with, but it's enough to live and the benefits of serving are numerous.

I know this option is a very personal decision but one worth mentioning. My husband proudly served and it changed our lives. I can only hope that one of my children decide to follow in his footsteps.

Other than that it's a matter of pounding the pavement, taking whatever is offered until something better comes along and use every resource available. The last 3 jobs I've had I found on Craigslist of all places. I also agree with previous posters, no need to disclose exactly how his previous job ended.

Good luck to your son.

Military is also a very good option. It's how I got my start in IT. He can get his student loans (if he has any) paid off and it gives really great experience. There is a drive in corporate america to hire vets these days.

Jill in CO

That's a myth. A former employer can certainly tell another potential employer that an employee was fired and the reasons why.

It is true that he does not have to share the reason he "left" his prior employment. On a different note, did he apply for Unemployment benefits. You can receive them if you were fired, many people don't know that. Have him check in to that for a little help in the interim.

Does this vary by state? My husband was fired and applied for unemployment. He received benefits because he claimed that they cut his staff, making it impossible to keep up with the work. He was awarded unemployment but the former employer contested it. It was a mess. If they ahd won their case, he would have had to pay it all back. Fortunately he got a job about a month after beginning to receive benefits and the former employer dropped their appeal.

That's a myth. A former employer can certainly tell another potential employer that an employee was fired and the reasons why.

They can but it opens them up to a possible slander case so many companies have policies against it. I know mine does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter