SOG restaurants...any comments?

The Garden Galley was serving breakfast when we went in June. I don't remember ever seeing a menu listing for the breakfast on allears. I doubt SOG would stop serving breakfast at GG, because the only other place to eat in the morning would be the quick service stand. Also, if you get the Fun and Sun package, breakfast at GG is included.

Yay! I am glad. I love a good breakfast buffet, and at that price, I will like it even more! Would you say an ADR is needed? Or can I wing it on a Sunday in early january? Do they take ADRs at 407 WDW Dine like the rest of the paces?

Thanks for all the tips and info. This is a fun thread for me.:goodvibes

You can't book SOG dining reservations through the Disney line. You shouldn't need a reservation, but if you feel more comfortable making one, just call the SOG dining number from your room the night before or when you get up in the morning to reserve breakfast. We only made ressies at Mangino's and were able to call at the last minute and get in within a 1/2 hour. It was really nice not having to stress about some of our meals like we did with figuring out our ADRs in the parks 6 mos. in advance.

This is all great info since I'm retired military and both our sons are active duty NAs and hopw to join us on our upcoming magical experience in Dec of this year, but the ADR thing is hard since one is still deployed and the date of return while firmer this split carrier depoyment thing can still mess things up. The other is fixing to depoy so we're going to hope that if the regular ADRs we have don't work out then SOG will be our backup.

Larry

Thanks, Hilda, that is great news!

God bless you and your family, Larry! I truly hope you all get to enjoy an awesome Disney vacation soon!

Mangino's was one of our favorite restaurants during our Disney trip. We loved it so much, we ate there 3 times. It's better than Olive Garden. The prices are very reasonable when compared to other Disney resort or park table service restaurants. The Veal Marsala and Linguine with Clam Sauce are fabulous.

Just wondering if you had or needed reservations to eat there.

Thanks!

we just left SoG about a month ago.

Evergreens: was there just about every night at the bar for drinks and either dessert or noshies(typically appetizers) Food is typical bar food. we kept going back for the bar tender and the company. the Pizzas smelled divine, but we never ordered one as they are fairly decent sized and we only ate there for a full meal the Sunday we arrived for lunch. the Bar bill.. well.. lets just say I personally killed three bottles of wine the week we were there...

The Buffet: The breakfast buffet, I am sorry, was 'eh' at best. yes, it's cheap when compared to every other Breakfast Buffet, but I don't particularly care for buffets and there were no a la carte options. Breakfast for us usually was grabbed at the cafe down by the bus stop. heard mediocre to bad reviews on the lunch and dinner options. For the same price I could have had what I wanted at a TS or CS in the parks.

Manginos: I hate Italian, but heard nothing but rave reviews of the place. Our driver recommended it specially for a nice quiet evening.

The Cafe downstairs will pack a picnic lunch for you for the next day,and they serve basic continental breakfast type stuff early in the morning.

I've never seen it very crowded, so I think you can get by without reservation. I also haven't been during paek times for the past two years either...........

we just left SoG about a month ago.

Evergreens: was there just about every night at the bar for drinks and either dessert or noshies(typically appetizers) Food is typical bar food. we kept going back for the bar tender and the company. the Pizzas smelled divine, but we never ordered one as they are fairly decent sized and we only ate there for a full meal the Sunday we arrived for lunch. the Bar bill.. well.. lets just say I personally killed three bottles of wine the week we were there...

The Buffet: The breakfast buffet, I am sorry, was 'eh' at best. yes, it's cheap when compared to every other Breakfast Buffet, but I don't particularly care for buffets and there were no a la carte options. Breakfast for us usually was grabbed at the cafe down by the bus stop. heard mediocre to bad reviews on the lunch and dinner options. For the same price I could have had what I wanted at a TS or CS in the parks.

Manginos: I hate Italian, but heard nothing but rave reviews of the place. Our driver recommended it specially for a nice quiet evening.

The Cafe downstairs will pack a picnic lunch for you for the next day,and they serve basic continental breakfast type stuff early in the morning.

Thanks for the recent reviews! I gotta say, I LOVE breakfast buffets...nothing like loading up 27 pieces of bacon on your plate without having to ask for it!:banana: Do you think the quality was poor, or maybe the selection was just "eh" or is it truly because you don't like *any* breakfast buffets?

And *gasp*:scared: you don't like Italian? Isn't there a saying, about the law of gravity and everyone likes Italian food...something about those being two universal truths or something? LOL.

Congrats on your wine comsumption...I am impressed! I will only be there for 2 nights, but might get close to that goal!:thumbsup2

Thanks!

We were told that we had to make reservations for Mangino's. It was never busy when we ate, but it must be a procedural thing for them. You can call the day you want to dine and get in without a problem. We usually made our ressie after returning from the parks in the late afternoon and always got the time we wanted.

I googled and found it....it is a Neil Simon quote.

"There are two laws in the universe, the law of gravity, and everyone likes Italian food."

We were told that we had to make reservations for Mangino's. It was never busy when we ate, but it must be a procedural thing for them. You can call the day you want to dine and get in without a problem. We usually made our ressie after returning from the parks in the late afternoon and always got the time we wanted.

Thanks. I am so excited. We will be there Jan. 2-8 with grandparents and our two kids (almost 4 and 5 1/2 years old). I am reading the Unofficial Guide to Disney and hoping we can be very efficient in touring and avoid the worst wait times. That said, I'm not sure I'm ready to push everyone and do EVERYTHING. I think with the ages of the kids it will be go go go until we need a nap. My DH and I went sans children in 2001 and now we're back with the whole family. I want everyone to have a good time and I think that's going to entail making sure a naptime is planned daily. Oh yes, and wine on the balcony every evening for parents and grandparents:goodvibes .

I am used to Breakfast Buffets that include three kinds of egg preps, bacon, SSge, Canadian bacon and ham, made to order omelets and made to order waffles, huge fruit platters and a lot more variety in its pastry selection. It's not that I don't like buffets, although if given a choice I would choose something else.

as for Italian. My Grandmother's maiden name was Petta. We lived upstairs from her and both my parents worked(and occasionally deployed) so all I ever ate was Italian. I am sick of it!

We are also going in January and got a package that includes a breakfast and dinner buffet each day...so yes, they DO still have the breakfast buffet.

The buffets must be pretty bad...I haven't found one positive thing about them on these boards! Oh well, for us they were free...so I figure we'll use the breakfast buffet and just skip most of the dinners.

I am used to Breakfast Buffets that include three kinds of egg preps, bacon, SSge, Canadian bacon and ham, made to order omelets and made to order waffles, huge fruit platters and a lot more variety in its pastry selection. It's not that I don't like buffets, although if given a choice I would choose something else.

Wow! That would be a very nice breakfast buffet - certainly something you'd pay $20+ for at a nice restaurant. Personally, I'd never spend that much on a breakfast buffet because I'm a pretty light eater for breakfast - it just wouldn't be worth the money for me.

I went to the SOG breakfast buffet in 2005, and thought it was fine. Nothing fancy, but good basic food (scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, juice, fruit, cereal), plus make-your-own-belgian-waffles (which were quite good, since they were so fresh!). At about $8 per person, I thought it was a really good value.

Does anyone know if the chef at Manginos is from Italy? Wondering if I can request a specific dish not offered on the menu (as long as they have the ingredients available).

Do you have to be military to eat at the restaurants? My DH was in the military for 17 years when an off-duty car accident broke his back. Since he couldn't return to work he was given an Honorable, but it meant the loss of his retirement and all that entails! I really miss the commisary and BX especially. :sad1:

But these restaurants sound pretty cool. And, it would be nice to be around the military mind set again.

Shades of Green doesn't charge you any taxes or fees. Whatever the room rate is, is what you pay.

HTH!!

Plus 5$ a night for parking.(not included in your price of the room-it is added at check in)

My opinion of the buffet is.....typical food from a military officer's club. Not anything to write home about but not awful. I would only eat there again in a pinch.

The hotel stay....wonderful rooms...love the grounds....pool o.k but my kids miss the slides, but the ice cream parlor sometimes makes up for that.

Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter