Soft September for DVC Direct Sales

Not too surprising in my mind. Number of guests at the resorts were down significantly in Sept. Oct should be the best month of the year when it is reported. If not, then buckle up. Also we now know why some many AKV contracts got ROFR'd

I wonder what this might mean for the next set of RIV incentives come November... I'm keeping a close watch.

I wonder what this might mean for the next set of RIV incentives come November... I'm keeping a close watch.

I think that will be very interesting to see. I also think that if they are seeing that direct sales continue to be soft in October as well, it may play a role in what level of pricing we see for VGF. Granted, they did see quite a big decline in park attendance during August and September, so maybe that impacted things?

34.8% of RIV sold. Ouch. I thought something like 50% was declared, so I really thought that number was higher. Don’t have to be a Disney bean counter to see that’s not the plan.

As pricing and charts keep escalating, eventually the product will just be too expensive. Maybe that time is now. $40,000 buy in is a tough sell.

I would think that with The Grand Floridian sales probably starting right around the corner, there are some people waiting to buy until that becomes available.
Help me understand this, as we're just starting to look at purchasing... GF?

I wonder what Aulani sales have looked like lately?
I notice it is not on the report along with VGC.

Help me understand this, as we're just starting to look at purchasing... GF?

Since VGF is adding 200 rooms, which will be resort studios...different than the current studios that are there....it is possible that some direct buyers have decided to wait until those sales start to buy so it can be there home resort.

Most of us believe we will see sales start within the next 3 to 5 months, so it does make sense to wait if that is the home resort you want to have and want to added benefit of being able to use the points at RIV and all future resorts, as well as be eligible for whatever membership extras are offered.

I imagine that DVD was disappointed in the sales numbers for September, as they had been moving slowly back into the right direction. But, as someone waiting on VGF sales to begin again to do an add on, I am really hoping this will help them in setting that starting price at a more reasonable number.

Last edited:
34.8% of RIV sold. Ouch. I thought something like 50% was declared, so I really thought that number was higher. Don’t have to be a Disney bean counter to see that’s not the plan.

As pricing and charts keep escalating, eventually the product will just be too expensive. Maybe that time is now. $40,000 buy in is a tough sell.

According to the article, they have declared about 44% of the resort, so not yet at the 50% mark. It does make you wonder about the starting price for the VGF studios and DLT and what potential adjustments may be considered.

For resale folks, will VGF2 stop us from being able to book Grand Floridian at 7 months? (same restrictions on not being able to book Riv)

Last edited:
The article also notes: In September 2021, 58,294 points were sold for the Riviera Resort, the second lowest monthly total for the resort in 2021. The percent of points sold for RIV was below 60% of total -- OUCH! But again, there are going to be apologists who will insist that the resale restriction has nothing to do with the really poor results.

According to the article, they have declared about 44% of the resort, so not yet at the 50% mark. It does make you wonder about the starting price for the VGF studios and DLT and what potential adjustments may be considered.

RIV pricing has gone up significantly since 2020, pretty consistently. Seems like lack of sales is the desired goal. This fits with the overall lack of construction. It’s not like they want to sell through RIV/VGF2 when nothing new is coming.

I thought RIV sales had been higher before lockdown, I don’t think I realized DVC was holding the bag on as many points as it is.

RIV pricing has gone up significantly since 2020, pretty consistently. Seems like lack of sales is the desired goal. This fits with the overall lack of construction. It’s not like they want to sell through RIV/VGF2 when nothing new is coming.

I thought RIV sales had been higher before lockdown, I don’t think I realized DVC was holding the bag on as many points as it is.

They were much higher. But they did declare more in January of this year so that indicates at the time they needed more of them.

I am not sure a $13/point increase since sales started for base price would be a significant increase. It started $188 and is now $201.

But, as I mentioned, I think that given that sales had been going up the past 4 months and now a month that went down can’t be the best news for them.

Someone here bought RIV in the 150s in 2020, with the incentives. Sure, the sticker price stayed the same, but the price has raised significantly. Drop RIV back to the 150s, and it would sell right now. Obviously, that isn't the goal.

They are definitely not holding the bag. The resort is selling out on a cash rental. Maybe they don't want to sell the points? But then why would they transfer cash rooms to DVC at VGF? I am curious to know what Disney really thinks about this.

It is completely unsurprising that September sales were down--the parks were about as dead as they've been since the pandemic re-opening. Low attendance in the parks means lower tour flow, and lower tour flow means fewer closed sales.

Disney is usually very good about not getting caught playing the short game. It sounds like attendance started bouncing back in the second week of October, and as long as that continues--and it drives increased tour flow--they will be right where they want to be in terms of sales.

I wonder what Aulani sales have looked like lately?
I notice it is not on the report along with VGC.
I too wish there was more transparency on the west coast resorts. As for Riviera, it looks to be headed in the same direction as Aulani. It’s going to take a long time to ever sell out.

WDW still hasn't recovered from the pandemic. Attendance is still way down. Riviera sales were on par with other recent DVC resorts until the March 2020 shutdown.

It's simply too early to read too much into recent direct sales.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!