Soarin'...time to fix it?

I've only done it twice and both times in the middle - so I can't really give a true opinion. But, based on what I'm hearing, I think it needs to be fixed. it's not up to Disney standards by any stretch... pun intended. Bring back Soarin' Over California. that'll be fine with me. And the rumor about demolishing The Land Pavillion makes my heart sad. I love Living with the Land and Garden Grill. :-(

It is not the cameras or shooting angle that's at fault.
It is not the computer animation that's at fault.

It is the "fault" of the OmniMax deeply concave screen coupled with stark vertical lines of principle subjects
of the images... in conjunction with the very close proximity of the audience seating.
When they fly the seats INTO the screen, those guests seated toward the outer edges of the screen
WILL be forced to see the curvature of the screen on objects in the center.
Under many conditions (non-vertical subjects,) that curvature is not as noticeable
(but it is always present.)

The original film was made up, by and large, of scenes that did not feature
images that were very prone to revealing the curvature of the screen.

Unfortunately, this is not something that can be "fixed."
But, a return to the original film (as they are doing in California) will
ease the situation.

Yep. I'm not a tech expert, but my guess is along these lines too. They're using ultra modern technology in a theater built with old technology and this is the result.

It doesn't bug me all that much, I laugh at the distortion. Having said that, I wouldn't be opposed to an all new build. Soarin' can be SO much more than it is. There are endless possibilities. I'd love to see a "Soarin over Disney Parks" film.

I always request B1 unless I am in the mood for a good laugh!lol:)
I'm never in a mood for a laugh after waiting in line for this ride. B1 every time. (And even then, I really just want the very middle of that row.)

If the problem is the subject matter, then they should have understood this and planned for it accordingly. It's beyond dumb that 2/3 of the seats don't have the intended experience.

Agreed. All seats should have the same view it at least a good view like fop.
Ooof. I would have agreed with you a month ago, but I had the worst seat on FOP during my birthday trip. It was alllll the way on the right/top, and the distortion was crazy. If I hadn't used a Fastpass on it I think I would've asked a CM to go again, because it sucked. But I was ready to head to the pool so I just let it go hah.

I completely agree!! I refuse to ride unless i am in the middle section. I will tell the cast member that I will wait for the next seating in order to ride in the middle section. The distortion is crazy on the sides! i do not seem to have this issue with FOP so they must have the technology to fix it.

I think the view from those edge seats is really inexcusable, especially if people use a Tier 1 FastPass for the attraction and don't know to request B. There were ways around this, so it's strange to me that the Imagineers didn't foresee the distortion or chose to ignore the sub-par experience from a third (or more) of the seats.

That being said, this remains in my Top 3 Attractions in the World, even with the issues. 🤷‍♀️

Soarin' used to be my favorite attraction at EPCOT . . . until they replaced it with this version. I find the over-use of CGI as much a distraction as the ridiculous distortion. I know there was some CGI in the original version, but not near to this level. My feeling is if you can't legitimate film it, i.e. Taj Mahal, don't include it. I don't even bother trying to get a FP for it anymore. I wish they would bring back the original to at least one of the theaters.

I prefer the original film, although the dirt on the films and fuzziness was getting a bit much. lol

I really hate the use of so many CGI effects and animals. Disney has a history of wildlife and nature films from the earlier years. Please, don't be lazy and cheap, and do the work like you used to and give us some "real life" footage. It's OK if all the animals don't do "song and dances." LOL!

Agree but am not holding by breath, given how long the Yeti on EE has been broken.

If needed to be fixed before it was even released IMO. Soarin is/was my favorite ride in all of WDW and I'm just shocked that they ever approved the new version with the amount of bowing you get when you are not seated in the middle. It almost completely kills the realism that they are trying to achieve.

They could have chosen scenes without well known vertical structures like the Eiffel tower, or the Taj Mahal. Both of those make it super obvious when it's not correct. Outdoor scenes aren't as noticeable IMO.

Dan

Regardless of what the cause is this should never have made it to production. I had been lucky enough to be seated where I didn't notice until my last trip. It's really bad.

I found the problems with the old film more of a distraction than the current version, but it would be nice if they could improve the current film.

I'm also going to diverge a bit on your comments about Universal. I've been to Diagon alley many times, but the level of detail in Diagon Alley still blows me away every time.

I hope the new SW gives me the same feeling. Pandora is interesting, but well, when I'm walking around I keep thinking, "Ooh, black lights and glow paint!" It reminds me of disco and velvet Led Zeppelin posters.

It doesn't wow me the way HM still wow's me after 40+ years.

Mind, some of the older Universal rides, say the flume ride, ARE desperately in need of a redo over at Universal, but their newer attractions are great. we've also been impressed with a number of staff members there.

Wouldn't it be great if they did it like Star Tours and had a rotating set of videos? I'd ride Soarin all day if they changed up the video.

But yeah, the distortion is the worst. I didn't even know you could request the middle--next time I will!

i do not seem to have this issue with FOP so they must have the technology to fix it.
The FOP images on the screen do not contain any strong vertical lines.
Nothing to "fix." The eyes don't detect any distracting distortions.

Last edited:
I prefer the original film, although the dirt on the films and fuzziness was getting a bit much. lol

Those were artifacts of the original FILM LOOP projection system.
Disney replaced the physical film system with digital video projection even before they premiered the
current "Soarin' Around the Word" video.
They actually ran the original "Soarin' Over California" footage for several weeks in Epcot, but they created a digital video source of that movie and it no longer exhibited the dust, dirt and scratches
that were problematic with the "film" version.
(This digital source of "Soarin' Over California" will be used in California Adventure throughout the month of June -or longer- starting in just a few days.)
That version of the movie could be run at Epcot with only a very short (one day?) changeover.
The only "physical" change would be to load the "perfume spray effects" with the original scents
related to "Soarin' Over California."

Yikes, there are some really strong opinions here. I didn't realize it was such a trip-ruiner like some people make it out to be...
:confused3

Nobody said anything about trips being ruined. I just skip it completely - I find it completely ruined as a ride experience. Soarin' Over California on the other hand was one of my all time favourite rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter