Soarin'...time to fix it?

Knuckleball

Earning My Ears
Let me start with the fact that I am a huge fan of WDW, a season pass holder who goes a couple of times each month. Soarin' is one of my favorite Disney attractions and I ride it several times a year. With that said, I was at Epcot yesterday and seated in row 2 of section C toward the end of the row in Soarin'. I do enjoy the "new" version...but isn't it time for Disney to acknowledge that the distortion in many of the scenes (not just the Eiffel Tower) really is unacceptable? I know it's not as bad if you are seated in the middle section but should Disney - and the fans - simply accept the significant level of distortion? I assume this has been discussed on DIS Boards in the past so forgive me for resurrecting the topic. But, after yesterday, it just hit me that neither "close enough" nor "why bother" has ever been the Disney motto. The high standards and attention to detail and back stories are what makes Disney different from Universal or other parks. I just don't understand why Disney would allow this condition to continue to exist.

It's my favorite ride and I couldn't agree more; it's substandard and something the cinematographers and imagineers should have corrected before they opened it to the public. I always ask for the middle section, even if it means waiting for the next group to go in.

Let me start with the fact that I am a huge fan of WDW, a season pass holder who goes a couple of times each month. Soarin' is one of my favorite Disney attractions and I ride it several times a year. With that said, I was at Epcot yesterday and seated in row 2 of section C toward the end of the row in Soarin'. I do enjoy the "new" version...but isn't it time for Disney to acknowledge that the distortion in many of the scenes (not just the Eiffel Tower) really is unacceptable? I know it's not as bad if you are seated in the middle section but should Disney - and the fans - simply accept the significant level of distortion? I assume this has been discussed on DIS Boards in the past so forgive me for resurrecting the topic. But, after yesterday, it just hit me that neither "close enough" nor "why bother" has ever been the Disney motto. The high standards and attention to detail and back stories are what makes Disney different from Universal or other parks. I just don't understand why Disney would allow this condition to continue to exist.

Unfortunately the new management doesn't necessarily feel this way. There are plenty of other things amiss, but this one is just so plain obvious we talk about it more. NOW if the rumor that is burning up the wires today is correct ... and the LAND Pavilion will be demolished .. I imagine whatever the new building/theme that comes to that spot will likely mean an all new movie ... my guess is that Soarin' will remain, something built around it. Again, all rumor but I'm not against this one.**

**Disney responded on twitter that these pavilions are part of the future plan for Epcot so guess the drama was just click bait.

It's my favorite ride and I couldn't agree more; it's substandard and something the cinematographers and imagineers should have corrected before they opened it to the public. I always ask for the middle section, even if it means waiting for the next group to go in.

One problem is that so much of it is computer generated and clearly not designed for the curve. It would have been nice if they thought about shooting it all with a camera with cinematographers and curved lens ....... I don't know ... like they've done for these movies for 50-60 years. 🤷‍♀️ But they opted not to.

Last edited:
Agreed. Still surprises me they’d create an attraction where the view is so sub-optimal from so many seats. I find the distortions very distracting. I still enjoy it - but ride it far less than I used to.

I’d love if WDW brought back Soarin over California for a limited run as they’re doing in Disneyland.

In the past, we have, by luck been seated in section B and I didn't really see the issue.
This last trip, we were seated in Section A row 2. The curved mountains, Eiffel tower and more were terrible. It was really distracting.
Another vote that they need to fix it.

It is not the cameras or shooting angle that's at fault.
It is not the computer animation that's at fault.

It is the "fault" of the OmniMax deeply concave screen coupled with stark vertical lines of principle subjects
of the images... in conjunction with the very close proximity of the audience seating.
When they fly the seats INTO the screen, those guests seated toward the outer edges of the screen
WILL be forced to see the curvature of the screen on objects in the center.
Under many conditions (non-vertical subjects,) that curvature is not as noticeable
(but it is always present.)

The original film was made up, by and large, of scenes that did not feature
images that were very prone to revealing the curvature of the screen.

Unfortunately, this is not something that can be "fixed."
But, a return to the original film (as they are doing in California) will
ease the situation.

Last edited:
It is not the cameras or shooting angle that's at fault.
It is not the computer animation that's at fault.

It is the "fault" of the OmniMax deeply concave screen coupled with stark vertical lines of principle subjects
of the images... in conjunction with the very close proximity of the audience seating.
When they fly the seats INTO the screen, those guests seated toward the outer edges of the screen
WILL be forced to see the curvature of the screen on objects in the center.
Under many conditions (non-vertical subjects,) that curvature is not as noticeable
(but it is always present.)

The original film was made up, by and large, of scenes that did not feature
images that were very prone to revealing the curvature of the screen.

Unfortunately, this is not something that can be "fixed."
But, a return to the original film (as they are doing in California) will
ease the situation.

You've got it dead right, Robo. It's nothing except the choices of subject in the new film. The old one had distortion too, but it was less noticeable because they avoided tall, centrally located objects like the Eiffel Tower. In fact, I would dare say that they composed the images to work with the curvature of the screen to create a greater sense of depth (think when the golf ball flew towad you).

Also, just a point of clarification, the California verison is reverting to the original for a limited time only (month of June). I could see it being so popular though that they may keep it!

Agree. Way past time to fix it. Maybe we could blame Disney IT (as they do indeed have issues frequently)? :confused3

I don't find it too bad. It's noticeable, but it's still an enjoyable ride. What I would enjoy is perhaps footage of other stuff, and not the Around the World as it is right now. The California one was ok, but I would rather have had footage from across the United States as opposed to just one state. But maybe I'm just more accepting and can appreciate it for what it is. I rode a similar type ride at Legoland this past weekend, and that really helped me realize just how good Soarin is, despite the issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter