Soarin'...time to fix it?

As someone with a history of migraines, the distortion is definitely an issue... I was done for the day after being seated at the end of the row. When we rode again later in the week, I got an eye roll from the cast member when I requested middle seats.

As someone with a history of migraines, the distortion is definitely an issue... I was done for the day after being seated at the end of the row. When we rode again later in the week, I got an eye roll from the cast member when I requested middle seats.

How dare they roll their eyes at you (especially when making a request that anybody with any knowledge of this inferior ride experience would make).

Soarin’ over California made sense at the California Adventure park which was, at the time, all about California. I was shocked the first time I rode Soarin’ In Florida and it was still about California. I thought it would be about Florida, or the US, or the world, but a film based on a state that sits across the country was silly.

I’d love to see them have different films from around the world. They don’t need to be the iconic sights.

Soarin' is still my favorite attraction when riding in the middle. But it used to be so much better. The first time I rode Soarin' was after not having been to Disney in 15 years. I thought it was amazing. I feel like it is still my favorite ride because it reminds me of the version I rode that blew me away. Kind of like how I still ride Test Track because I feel like it is a quintessential Disney World ride, but it's just a reminder of the better version it used to be.

They could just rename it “Soarin over Dr Seuss world”. Nope, they don’t own Seuss.

Seriously, I was shocked how bad it was. I never rode the original. I thought they were having a technical glitch, wondered why they didn’t just shut it down and fix it.

Yikes, there are some really strong opinions here. I didn't realize it was such a trip-ruiner like some people make it out to be...
:confused3
Nobody said anything about trips being ruined. I just skip it completely - I find it completely ruined as a ride experience. Soarin' Over California on the other hand was one of my all time favourite rides.

I'm with Chickinvic - it doesn't ruin my trip because I don't ride it anymore. It's not just the distortion, it's also the choice of subjects - most of them have been shown in movies and on TV umpteen times, and it's boring. (OTOH I never get tired of the views of the Eiffel Tower in the Reflections of France film!) I never got tired of seeing Soarin' over California or listening to the music.

Wouldn't it be great if they did it like Star Tours and had a rotating set of videos? I'd ride Soarin all day if they changed up the video.

My family and I have been saying this for years!
We all still enjoy it but it this would add such a new dynamic.

They could just rename it “Soarin over Dr Seuss world”. Nope, they don’t own Seuss.

Seriously, I was shocked how bad it was. I never rode the original. I thought they were having a technical glitch, wondered why they didn’t just shut it down and fix it.

The original was fantastic - worlds better than this hunk of junk.

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts on Soarin'. Despite the distortion, it's still a great attraction/experience. Several of the responses were helpful in explaining why the original "Soarin' Over California" didn't appear to have the same problems...what Disney imagineers did to avoid it. As I see news releases concerning the incredible attention to detail in the new Star Wars Land, it does make me wonder what happened with Soarin'? If the distortion associated with Soarin' was, indeed, a known problem, why did Disney not address it during development?

By the way, I love the suggestion of offering different versions (such as the original "Soarin' Over California" or new films such as "Soarin
over the US") in each of the various Soarin' theaters, similar to what is done with "Star Tours" in the Studios.

It's honestly never bothered me. I know it's not real.

BUT, that's not to say other people's criticisms aren't valid. Everyone has a different tolerance.
Same here. Simply does not bother us. Does not ruin the ride. I never reach the point in the ride that I feel I am seeing the real thing, even when seated front, dead center so the times I get the ends, so what. It’s still fun and enjoyable. Just different. It’s not that bad. I just can’t imagine skipping the ride because it bends. But to each their own

You've got it dead right, Robo. It's nothing except the choices of subject in the new film. The old one had distortion too, but it was less noticeable because they avoided tall, centrally located objects like the Eiffel Tower. In fact, I would dare say that they composed the images to work with the curvature of the screen to create a greater sense of depth (think when the golf ball flew towad you).

Also, just a point of clarification, the California verison is reverting to the original for a limited time only (month of June). I could see it being so popular though that they may keep it!
I don’t understand why they don’t keep that film and let Epcot keep World. Seems like logical places for each film to me but what they heck do I know

It is sad that only 1/3rd of the show has an optimal experience. That really is not acceptable. The poor folks who show up for maybe an only time to WDW and sit on the outer areas.

Let me start with the fact that I am a huge fan of WDW, a season pass holder who goes a couple of times each month. Soarin' is one of my favorite Disney attractions and I ride it several times a year. With that said, I was at Epcot yesterday and seated in row 2 of section C toward the end of the row in Soarin'. I do enjoy the "new" version...but isn't it time for Disney to acknowledge that the distortion in many of the scenes (not just the Eiffel Tower) really is unacceptable? I know it's not as bad if you are seated in the middle section but should Disney - and the fans - simply accept the significant level of distortion? I assume this has been discussed on DIS Boards in the past so forgive me for resurrecting the topic. But, after yesterday, it just hit me that neither "close enough" nor "why bother" has ever been the Disney motto. The high standards and attention to detail and back stories are what makes Disney different from Universal or other parks. I just don't understand why Disney would allow this condition to continue to exist.

They won’t fix it until people stop riding it. Maybe if the renovation of The Land pavilion rumor is true they will also replace the show again?

It is sad that only 1/3rd of the show has an optimal experience. That really is not acceptable. The poor folks who show up for maybe an only time to WDW and sit on the outer areas.
While the straight-on seating may be "optimal", that doesn't necessarily mean the other ones are bad. Like @AngiTN said, it doesn't have to ruin the ride. Especially if it's your only time seeing it, I really can't imagine you'd sit there and think it sucked. Those of us that have ridden it 10+ times can certainly tell the difference, but someone that's only ridden it once or twice, I'm sure they just think it's a fun ride. There are definitely worse experiences that Disney World.

I like the mechanics and idea of Soarin and will ride it every chance I get but I also do find the around the world version to be inferior to the California version. I definitely preferred the original arrangement of the soundtrack and I think the distortion level is unacceptable for this tier of ride. I also really dislike all of the screen transitions in around the world, they are too much like "jump scares" and I like it better when they are smoother.

My teenager daughter used to love it. Now, she refuses to ride it. I have never cared for it (I don't like heights and I don't like the lack of ground beneath my feet). So, at least I have a ride buddy for whatever I choose to do instead. :)

I could accept the distortion - but I think one of the problems with these large screens (not just Soarin') is the extreme high-res & brightness we have all come to love from our TV's and computers. The images on these large screens are inferior to what we use everyday, and it's very noticeable.

Kinda unrelated, but I was watching the new Microsoft Flight Simulator trailer:
(Yes, it’s all “CGI”) But the music and scenes would almost be a better Soarin than Soarin around the World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts