Soarin over Cali

The problem is when they shoot it in digital they don't go out and film a lot of the scenes. They will film some of them and create the rest of them with computers like in Soaring when the orca jumps out of the water. Its looks fake because it is was created on a computer. But its cheaper that way so that is how Disney is going to do it.
Sad but so true. Good enough is now acceptable.

The only scene I cannot stand in the California version is the nighttime through the city. The combination of bouncy/unstable pic with it being sped up makes my eyes hurt. :)

I have to close my eyes during the nighttime scene. I love the rest of it.

Well, on a Sunday afternoon (4:30) during a holiday weekend, wait time for Soarin’ is at 40 minutes with fast pass return at 8:20.

That seems... normal? Or maybe even longer than normal?

Has anyone been tracking wait times? Is there any noticeable difference between World and the past weeks as California? If the answer is no, then the best we can hope for is that they occasionally switch back-and-forth. But if there was no measurable impact for the switch to California, then they may figure it’s not worth it.

People can write, and call, and complain all they want. But the attraction rider numbers don’t lie. And if the switch to California didn’t make a difference, then it doesn’t really matter if some people “feel better” when it’s California, if it doesn’t actually do anything to get more people on the ride. I wish there was a way to see those rider numbers.
So, I don't have rider numbers, but I do track and record FP return times like it's my job. During June, Soarin' FPs were running out at a faster rate than they had as World (proportionate to the other FP return times at DCA - since June was fairly uncrowded, they were actually running out later in the day, but their popularity ranking at DCA/the resort as a whole was higher than normal, if that makes sense). During the rest of the summer, though, it evened out. So it kind of seems like when they announced that it was just for June, it did draw more people, but then when they extended it, it behaved more like World. Based on that, it seems like the smartest move for them is to bring it back on a limited-time basis periodically. (I greatly prefer CA to World and wish I could say otherwise, but that seems like the logical move from a business standpoint.)
The problem is when they shoot it in digital they don't go out and film a lot of the scenes. They will film some of them and create the rest of them with computers like in Soaring when the orca jumps out of the water. Its looks fake because it is was created on a computer. But its cheaper that way so that is how Disney is going to do it.

But when they filmed Soaring over California they didn't have the technology to fake it well enough so everything was shot in film on location. I listened to a podcast a while back that had the guy who was in charge of filming Soaring over California. He said they shot almost everything on a helicopter with the camera extended out in front on a custom boom they built just for the filming. It cost Disneyland a ton of money to film it that way. The guy said Disney would never go out and film like that again due to the cost so unfortunately we will never see another film like that again from Disney.
In addition to those jarring scene cuts, the fact that the Taj Mahal scene is 100% CGI just annoys me. There are a lot of cool places in the world to actually film, and, ok, adding your digital animals all over the place is at least possibly "ambiance," but to 100% fabricate the actual landmark seems so unnecessary.

To be fair, though, the original CA version does have digital elements (like the paraglider and the golf ball), but obviously the World version is much more CGI.

So, I don't have rider numbers, but I do track and record FP return times like it's my job. During June, Soarin' FPs were running out at a faster rate than they had as World (proportionate to the other FP return times at DCA - since June was fairly uncrowded, they were actually running out later in the day, but their popularity ranking at DCA/the resort as a whole was higher than normal, if that makes sense). During the rest of the summer, though, it evened out. So it kind of seems like when they announced that it was just for June, it did draw more people, but then when they extended it, it behaved more like World. Based on that, it seems like the smartest move for them is to bring it back on a limited-time basis periodically. (I greatly prefer CA to World and wish I could say otherwise, but that seems like the logical move from a business standpoint.)

In addition to those jarring scene cuts, the fact that the Taj Mahal scene is 100% CGI just annoys me. There are a lot of cool places in the world to actually film, and, ok, adding your digital animals all over the place is at least possibly "ambiance," but to 100% fabricate the actual landmark seems so unnecessary.

To be fair, though, the original CA version does have digital elements (like the paraglider and the golf ball), but obviously the World version is much more CGI.
Thanks! I wish they would keep Soarin’/CA in DCA, and I was hoping that the switch would prove it to be more popular than World.

We’ll see what happens, I guess. But I suspect that World will continue to be the default, with CA as a “special“ they bring out on occasion.

If they’re going to go CGI heavy as they did with World, in my opinion they should just go all out and make a bunch of different films they can rotate through all year round.

How about: Soarin’ Through Time, Soarin’ Across The Galaxy, etc?

Funny thing last year; didn't even pay attention to the preshow and sat down for soarin' and SOC came on.....was quite surprised and excited as hadn't seen it for so long. I had a serious case of Deja wu sensation when it started; and excitedly questioned/exclaimed to DW -- hey this is california!

echo the sentiment that national parks soarin' would be a blast.

I just can't be bothered to do Soarin World. It is awful. If they bring back SOC for my trip I will ride it everyday. I love it😍
I'm with you. Soaring over CA was one of my favorite rides in all of Disney. I *hate* the World version. The CGI the tilted tower/rocks, etc. After seeing World in December we voted as a family to cross it off the list from now on. We were at CA last weekend and didn't bother going. If they bring back SOC, we'll be back!

I so hope this happens. I’ve never seen SOC and I’ll be in the park for a day and a half starting 3/1!!

Do you publish this information anywhere? Would certainly be helpful to help plan. Thanks :)
I don’t - I’m not sure how it could be usefully formatted, to be honest, because it’s from different times each day and there’s so many data points. And I’m not very tech savvy - the first year I tracked stuff, it’s handwritten in columns on a legal pad. 🤷‍♀️ 🤦‍♀️

But I’ve considered trying and adding the raw data to my Maxpass thread...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter