So We Saw Pixar's New Animated Feature "Coco" Today (Spoilers - add spoiler tags please)

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
There was a preview for Disneyland annual passholders today, and I was one of the lucky ones who got a ticket. There were a couple of other DISers who went and we sat together.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this animated feature. I felt that it has a different vibe than the other Pixar movies. As a Mexican descendant I really related to the story, and my friends who are not latinos also enjoyed it. In fact, one of them and I are going to see it again on Friday since they didn't include the 20+ minute "Olaf's Frozen Adventure."

I cried in parts, my two DIS friends cried, and the man sitting next to me cried. It was poignant. Loved it.

My recommendation is - do not read any reviews before seeing this movie. I think I would have been disappointed had I read a review before seeing the movie.

Looking forward to you other movie goers once the movie goes public - then we can put 'spoiler' in the title, or open a new thread to discuss.

Based on the commercials, I had no desire to see this, nor did my kids, but now I really want to see it. Thanks for the head's up.

Thanks for the review. Like @katie111 I really didn't have much interest in it based on the previews, but you make me want to check it out.

It is weird but seems to happen to me a lot with Pixar movies - I have no interest based on the commercials, then end up loving the movie when I see it. That was true of Wall-E, Big Hero 6, and Inside Out, and they ended up three of my favorites.

I have no desire to see coco. I’m going to watch it because I love frozen and I have movie pass.

I love Latin guitar music, so, when I saw a teaser trailer for "Coco" before another movie, I was excited. I've also always been fascinated w/ Mexico's "Day of the Dead" celebration ever since I was a little girl & read Trixie Belden & the Mystery in Arizona.

I'm a little worried about the skeletons - that kind of thing sometimes frightens our younger DS. Even though the skeletons are family members, the skeleton imagery is still there.

We went tonight. My four year old was spooked by the movie and had trouble following it. It's better than a lot of the recent Pixar offerings (save for Inside Out). I'd recommend it. I got choked up and I'm not the type to get choked up over movies.

I didn't love the Frozen short. My four year old thought the short was the best part.

We went tonight. My four year old was spooked by the movie and had trouble following it. It's better than a lot of the recent Pixar offerings (save for Inside Out). I'd recommend it. I got choked up and I'm not the type to get choked up over movies.

I didn't love the Frozen short. My four year old thought the short was the best part.

Thank you for posting this. It's rated PG, so it's probably a good idea to keep that in mind if you plan on taking younger children.

Thanks for the review. Like @katie111 I really didn't have much interest in it based on the previews, but you make me want to check it out.

It is weird but seems to happen to me a lot with Pixar movies - I have no interest based on the commercials, then end up loving the movie when I see it. That was true of Wall-E, Big Hero 6, and Inside Out, and they ended up three of my favorites.

Yeah, some Pixar movies seem like they are hard to market, Wall-E being a perfect example. Something like Cars is easy as it's flashy and fast and great for selling toys. The deeper, philosophical ones can be tough. I love the way Coco looks though and have been excited to see it.

Oh, and FYI, Big Hero 6 isn't Pixar, it was from Disney Animation Studios.

Thank you for posting this. It's rated PG, so it's probably a good idea to keep that in mind if you plan on taking younger children.

The problem is every family friendly movie is rated PG now (as opposed to 10 years ago), so it's hard for parents to gage what is really family friendly and what is not. My daughter likes the Nightmare Before Christmas. I can't say what upset her without posting a spoiler, but there was one particular act of cruelty and violence that made her sad. I'm not sure if exposing her to this stuff is necessarily a bad idea, but parents of young kids may want to read a plot summary first.

DD couldn't wait to take her then 4-year old to see Jurassic World, but now that he's 6, she's worried the skeletons in Coco will scare him.

How intense are the skeleton scenes?

DGS 3 wants to do everything with his big bro, but I think I'll keep him home with baby sister.

I went and saw Coco last night with a five and seven year old. The seven year old was really excited and generally liked the movie. She wasn't scared (at least not that I noticed), but she did cry. The five year old was a bit of a mixed bag; he really liked portions of the movie, but was scared in other sequences. An explanation of what scares him kind of deviates into a spoiler, so it's continued below.

He wasn't really scared of the skeletons per se, except at the very first sequence with Miguel in the cemetery. That sequence was designed (I think) to be very fast and potentially a little intense for small kids. Once in the land of the dead, the skeletons were all very colorful and bordering on "cute" - they don't look like the skeletons in PotC, they've got much rounder edges, more colorful, and have personalities. He was fine with regards to them, but Pepita (the spirit animal/giant cat) scared him - it's loud and roars a lot. He was also, predictably, scared by the final confrontation. I don't think there being skeletons really had any impact at that point, it was mostly just the volume and actions on the screen that make him hide his eyes.

In terms of the older child, she cried at the end. The story is meant to tug at the heart-string a little, so we weren't surprised.

I also think the movie had a fairly universal message and you don't need to be of Latino-heritage to enjoy the movie.

We also saw the Frozen short ahead of the movie. The kids thought that was the "movie" we were seeing! :) The short was cute, but you have to like Olaf (he's a big part of it).

Last edited:
The problem is every family friendly movie is rated PG now (as opposed to 10 years ago), so it's hard for parents to gage what is really family friendly and what is not. My daughter likes the Nightmare Before Christmas. I can't say what upset her without posting a spoiler, but there was one particular act of cruelty and violence that made her sad. I'm not sure if exposing her to this stuff is necessarily a bad idea, but parents of young kids may want to read a plot summary first.

I think it's been more than 10 years that the G rating is basically not used except in rare occasions. Hollywood sees it as poison, but it's really just the rating system that has changed a bit. Things that used to get G now get PG and things that used to get PG now get PG-13. Is The Force Awakens really any more violent or objectionable than The Empire Strikes Back? Is Moana any scarier than Sleeping Beauty? Many of the classic Disney movies that are rated G would probably get a PG today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter