• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So, This Just Happened To A Friend Of Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know it as a form of racism until this post - I always thought of watermelon as a southern US product, and only found around the northern areas during the 4th of July/hot summer months. But I never associated eating watermelon as a race issue. My very Caucasian family eats watermelon all summer. Every summer event has a hollowed out watermelon full of cut up fruit, and we argue over who is going to bring the fruit, who is going to carve the watermelon, etc. We argue over the seedless vs seeded variety. The natural pink vs the weird yellow.

No, the definition of racism has evolved from the more obvious to the sublime. To be put at a disadvantage because of your race is a form of racism. So, living in certain areas of the USA, where schools are poorly funded, and a minority race is not getting the same educational opportunities as a more affluent majority racial area is a form of racism. There doesn't have to be hate, or intent. It just means a divide based on race.

It IS a Southern thing. A lot of black Southerners moved North looking for work, and as Southerners brought their affinity for fried chicken & watermelon with them. The Northerners incorrectly thought it was a "black" thing, and the stereotype was born.

Fried food became popular in the South because it was quick cooking & didn't cause the kitchen/house to heat up as much as other meals in the pre-A/C days.

It IS a Southern thing. A lot of black Southerners moved North looking for work, and as Southerners brought their affinity for fried chicken & watermelon with them. The Northerners incorrectly thought it was a "black" thing, and the stereotype was born.

Fried food became popular in the South because it was quick cooking & didn't cause the kitchen/house to heat up as much as other meals in the pre-A/C days.

That's cool info, thanks, Gumbo. I love the reasons behind regional preferences.

That's cool info, thanks, Gumbo. I love the reasons behind regional preferences.

He's not right. Look it up and you'll see the actual history of the stereotype. It has nothing to do with Northerners making assumptions.

Last edited:
He's not right. Look it up and you'll see the actual history of the stereotype. It has nothing to do with Northerners making assumptions.

That's the version I was taught & if you "look it up", as you suggest, you'll find that version on the front page of your google search, along with other versions that don't necessarily conflict with this version.

*No offense meant here at all*

Personally I would just say "Hey does anyone want any watermelon" instead of picking the left or the right, the white person or the black person or not saying anything for fear of offending...

None taken, and I did say:

...(or just set it on the table for everyone without "announcing" it)...

which is what I would be more likely to do anyway.

...Honestly I find it strange that you would be so concerned with not wanting to single out a person of a certain race instead of just treating them like they are a person. IDK must be me but I don't want to look at someone and say "oh you're black I don't want to offend you by offering you watermelon so instead I'll offer it to the white person first so I don't look like I'm confirming some stereotype". I'd rather just offer watermelon to whoever wants it...

Personal experience of a family member, with a friend feeling teased when it wasn't meant...But not my story to tell, so I'll have to leave it at that.

I didn't know it as a form of racism until this post - I always thought of watermelon as a southern US product, and only found around the northern areas during the 4th of July/hot summer months. But I never associated eating watermelon as a race issue. My very Caucasian family eats watermelon all summer. Every summer event has a hollowed out watermelon full of cut up fruit, and we argue over who is going to bring the fruit, who is going to carve the watermelon, etc. We argue over the seedless vs seeded variety. The natural pink vs the weird yellow.

No, the definition of racism has evolved from the more obvious to the sublime. To be put at a disadvantage because of your race is a form of racism. So, living in certain areas of the USA, where schools are poorly funded, and a minority race is not getting the same educational opportunities as a more affluent majority racial area is a form of racism. There doesn't have to be hate, or intent. It just means a divide based on race.

Only in some people's minds. The problem with making everything "racist" is that the term gets diluted and becomes meaningless. Being racist is a vile thing. Let's keep it that way.

Personal experience of a family member, with a friend feeling teased when it wasn't meant...But not my story to tell, so I'll have to leave it at that.

My point was you would actually first offer to a white person before a black person. Putting it on the table and not announcing is the same thing as picking a white person over a black person when offering watermelon...both would be done out of fear of confirming some stereotype in your own words.

Like I said I would rather just treat people like they are people. You want watermelon? Cool here you go. The race of the person shouldn't be a focus in your scenario. It's just a bit contradictory towards your comment of "I agree with you that, ideally, we shouldn't have to think about it - and eventually, I'm pretty sure we won't." You can choose not to have to think about a person's race when choosing to offer someone watermelon. But what you are instead choosing to do is doing the opposite and making the person's race the qualifying thought. That was my point. Instead of treating a person as a person you see race and go with that. You are actively choosing to perpetuate issues with stereotypes like this when you make race the focus of your decision.

I respect that your friend had something happened but I don't know why though you would treat all people like your friend rather than just treat your friend in a different way given the exact personal experiences they had but that is more of a rhetorical comment as I can tell it's a personal matter for you.

:offtopic: I know, but am I the only one on here that doesn't like watermelon?

Tastes like crunchy sugar water. :crazy2: No thank you.

I grew up just south of Atlanta, in the 1970s no less, went to public school, and didn't realize this "watermelon" stereotype. I remember everyone liking watermelon in the hot summer months.

I'm the same way & didn't realize there was a watermelon stereotype until a couple of years ago.

I almost think (& this is just from my own experience) that people who have grown up in the South are just not going to see watermelon as anything but a summer fruit - because we all grew up eating it, if that makes sense.

And people that didn't have the same experience & aren't from the South learned to see watermelon differently - kind of like the scenario that @Gumbo4x4 posted.

The racial history is there - like in the interesting article that @sunshinehighway that posted.

But, in the south, our cultures & traditions have grown & mixed in together - we all eat watermelon & fried chicken, so to many of us watermelon is just watermelon, & we don't see the connotations. Over the years, watermelon went from being the racial stigma as described in sunshinehighway's article to a just general southern thing. I mean, we've all sat on the back porch & had watermelon seed spitting contests.

The South, as a whole, is heavily influenced by the African American culture - food, music, literature, etc., & I love how the traditions & cultures have blended together, which, to me, is part of what makes the South special.

And, as an aside, *is* watermelon just a southern thing? Do other regions not eat watermelon?

No Wendy, watermelon is not just a southern thing. I was born and raised in the northeast, one of the best parts of summer as a kid was having fresh watermelon. I spent many days spitting seeds with the best of them.
It is still my favorite fruit, but nowadays I buy the seedless so no more contests to win LOL

I like watermelon!
If it is ripe and sweet, and cold, there is absolutely nothing better on a hot summer day/evening.
I am not black/african-american.

While racism is sometimes a very real issue. I absolutely hate to see it be made into a big issue when it might not really have any bearing on anything.
And, that goes for those on any side of racism... either racism or what might be called reverse-racism.

No Wendy, watermelon is not just a southern thing. I was born and raised in the northeast, one of the best parts of summer as a kid was having fresh watermelon. I spent many days spitting seeds with the best of them.
It is still my favorite fruit, but nowadays I buy the seedless so no more contests to win LOL

It's pretty common around me in the Midwest.

My daughter eats watermelon like it's going out of style. And she's a little Latina girl from NJ.

Well, good! That makes me feel better!

Once again, the story gets lost. Black man has an encounter with an older white later who assumes he's a watermelon expert, and, of course, some people react with "well, he shouldn't have taken the watermelon".

Un
be
leave
able.

That's the lesson learned.

So, I totally understood the point of the story, and I agree it was weirdly racist/hilarious, but at the same time, yes...

I did get a little stuck on the idea that he reached into her Tupperwear, picked up a piece of gooey fruit that she's had her hands all over, and then popped it into his mouth! He doesn't know if she washed her hands before chopping up that watermelon. He doesn't know what diseases she might have. Heck, maybe her little dog was up on the counter licking them all. Or she mixed the rat poison up with the lemon juice and has sprinkled it all over. He just doesn't know!

Bleah. :crazy2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter