SO SAD! CRT menu DID change!

Arg! We made our reservations for a late lunch for our FIRST TRIP (2 days in Feb). We are surprising DD with the castle meal. And now, with this lousy new menu, there is NOTHING for dh and I to eat. I am not kidding. I am so sad and mad. :( Below are the adult choices. Brussels sprouts, really?? And I don't do beef and he doesn't do fish or any alcohol.

He didn't really want to go to CRT anyway, and I insisted b/c dd is a princess fanatic. I don't think I am even going to tell him. :(

Any sympathy? Please?? Am I the only one who thinks this menu is insane???

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gnocchi with Roasted Vegtables
Eggplant, Mushrooms, Onions, and Squash tossed with Gnocchi, Arugula, Pesto, shaved Romano, and splash of Aged Balsamic

Oven-roasted Chicken Breast
Farro Wheat Risotto, Wild Mushroom and Leek Ragoût served with a Stone-ground Mustard Jus

Pan-seared Grouper
Butternut Squash Purée, Sautéed Brussels Sprouts, and Winter Citrus with Bacon Vinaigrette

Braised Pork Shank
Butternut Squash Purée, Sautéed Brussels Sprouts, and Winter Citrus with Bacon Vinaigrette

Major Domos Short Rib
Slow-cooked in a Pinot Noir Demi-glace on Potato and Parsnip Purée with Carrots

A word on Brussel Sprouts....I'm (cough) 50 years old and spent the first 49 years of my life finding Brussel Sprouts disgusting....well, actually it's more like the first 18 years of my life because once I moved out of my Brussel Sprout loving father's home I NEVER was going to eat them again. They were not welcome in my home! Like most of us that are this old, when we think of Brussel Sprouts we think of these disgusting balls of whatever it is, boiled until it's dead and then soaking in so much butter or cheese or whatever that if the smell didn't knock you out before it made it to your mouth....well, let's just say it was a chore to keep them down after eating.

Fast forward to about a year ago.....big important dinner party, the need to make a good impression, and sitting right next to the hostess. And what do they announce (yep, that fancy they announced each course, lol)....roasted brussel sprouts. I looked at my husband directly across from me with what he later described as "flight or fight pure panic". I knew I had no choice, I had to eat them......though I also was trying to figure out how to get them into my lap for tossing on the floor...far enough down the table that no one could blame me. I bit down on the first one (still hadn't figured out how to get it to the floor, but the conversation was background noise as I thought harder).....and was pleasantly surprised! I mean really surprised. I mean, rolled the ones on the plate around to be sure they really WERE Brussel Sprouts. Yep. They were.

It seems that all these gourmet chefs the last few years have been working hard on ways to take the soggy, bitter nasty taste out of Brussel Sprouts. And roasting them takes away all that, and the old sock smell too....and the garlic and other spices added actually make them taste good. I mean good enough that a few months after this dinner party I decided to try making them at home......I got a LOT of ribbing about Brussel Sprouts being in MY house, but that's a long funny story for another day.

And...as some other poster said....you don't have to eat the side dishes anyway. Because you won't be sitting next to the hostess at an important dinner, lol. And seriously....with the tiny portions that CRT serves, you'll have probably 4 of them to worry about.

Or...if one of the other sides sounds good, when you order, ask if they can substitute something for the wicked Sprouts.

Me....I'm trying to decide if I can justify the cost now. I thought CRT was a once-in-a-lifetime meal, but now I life several of the new entrees.

Oh...and for your no-alcohol beef eating husband.....the wine in the short ribs cooks off and leaves a sweet taste behind....not an alcohol taste. Nor is any of the alcohol left for anyone concerned about allergies or staying sober.

The price IS ridiculously high for these foods....but what you're really paying for, just like at the $40 buffets, is the atmosphere, the characters and the charm of eating INSIDE Cinderella's Castle. If you have a choice of times....try to be there during the fireworks. The lights and bangs of the fireworks while you eat inside the castle are spectacular, and although our one and only trip to CRT was 7 years ago, I can hear and feel the excitement just remembering this as I type. THAT is what you're paying for, not the $10 meal.

Gnocchi with Roasted Vegtables
Eggplant, Mushrooms, Onions, and Squash tossed with Gnocchi, Arugula, Pesto, shaved Romano, and splash of Aged Balsamic

Oven-roasted Chicken Breast
Farro Wheat Risotto, Wild Mushroom and Leek Ragoût served with a Stone-ground Mustard Jus

Pan-seared Grouper

Braised Pork Shank

Major Domos Short Rib
Slow-cooked in a Pinot Noir Demi-glace on Potato and Parsnip Purée with Carrots

YUM! Everything sounds good to me minus the brussel sprouts. I'd give them a try though..... maybe they are better than I remember.

A word on Brussel Sprouts....I'm (cough) 50 years old and spent the first 49 years of my life finding Brussel Sprouts disgusting....well, actually it's more like the first 18 years of my life because once I moved out of my Brussel Sprout loving father's home I NEVER was going to eat them again. They were not welcome in my home! Like most of us that are this old, when we think of Brussel Sprouts we think of these disgusting balls of whatever it is, boiled until it's dead and then soaking in so much butter or cheese or whatever that if the smell didn't knock you out before it made it to your mouth....well, let's just say it was a chore to keep them down after eating.

Fast forward to about a year ago.....big important dinner party, the need to make a good impression, and sitting right next to the hostess. And what do they announce (yep, that fancy they announced each course, lol)....roasted brussel sprouts. I looked at my husband directly across from me with what he later described as "flight or fight pure panic". I knew I had no choice, I had to eat them......though I also was trying to figure out how to get them into my lap for tossing on the floor...far enough down the table that no one could blame me. I bit down on the first one (still hadn't figured out how to get it to the floor, but the conversation was background noise as I thought harder).....and was pleasantly surprised! I mean really surprised. I mean, rolled the ones on the plate around to be sure they really WERE Brussel Sprouts. Yep. They were.

Thank you, Connie B, for your inspirational story. I've seen a lot of roasting of things like cauliflower and broccoli. Maybe I'll give those BS a try!

SA mom said:
Thank you, Connie B, for your inspirational story. I've seen a lot of roasting of things like cauliflower and broccoli. Maybe I'll give those BS a try!

Try it! I too thought I hated brussel sprouts as a kid and then I discovered roasted brussel sprouts! Yum! I trim the ends, halve them, and toss in evoo, then sprinkle with salt and pepper and garlic powder and roast uncovered for 30 mins or so at 375-400 degrees depending on the oven.

Roasted B. sprouts are awesome. Especially if they're served with a little bacon. Boiled sprouts suck though.

The menu looks good to me personally but few people go to this event for an adventuresome menu. Of all the places to have a menu with universal appeal, this would have to be it. Again, I love Brussels sprouts but they are one of the last veggie choices for banquet type meals; they are up there with beets (which is another of my personal faves) but neither are a good selection for mass appeal. In any case, yup, the original post was a bit intense but I feel for her. Some very harsh people do show up lol, often the same ones over and over.

One of the most often seen complaints is that all the food at WDW has been dumbed down, and you can find the same food all over the parks. I give them props for trying to go away from that, as shown by this menu, and the one for Be Our Guest.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the menus tweaked a bit, after they get more feedback.

So unhappy with the changes!! Hoping that it goes back before our September trip:) Loved the tenderloin for dinner!!

I've read some, but not all of the thread, so forgive me if this is already mentioned.

has anyone actually seen this new menu AT CRT, or are we just going by what it says on the WDW site? I've been checking allears.net and it hasn't been updated to this new menu.

Thanks!

princessallegra said:
Try it! I too thought I hated brussel sprouts as a kid and then I discovered roasted brussel sprouts! Yum! I trim the ends, halve them, and toss in evoo, then sprinkle with salt and pepper and garlic powder and roast uncovered for 30 mins or so at 375-400 degrees depending on the oven.

Nearly the same story here. My parents like sprouts and made them often when I was a kid, but I always thought they smelled like feet (they were canned and boiled) so they didn't make me eat them. Fast forward 20 years and I decided out of the blue to order some off the menu at an Irish restaurant to split with DD on my birthday. Holy moly they were good. They were roasted and then sautéed with a little garlic, bacon, and butter. It really brought out a nutty flavor and they tasted so fresh and didn't smell even remotely like feet. Seriously delicious. That was a couple of weeks ago and I'm getting ready to try making them on my own. Thankfully our nearby grocery sells them fresh off the stalk.

RyMacJ said:
I've read some, but not all of the thread, so forgive me if this is already mentioned.

has anyone actually seen this new menu AT CRT, or are we just going by what it says on the WDW site? I've been checking allears.net and it hasn't been updated to this new menu.

Thanks!

Someone somewhere in this thread said they had one of the new items (maybe the grouper?) and loved it. It was just a casual mention though, not a full review.

Someone somewhere in this thread said they had one of the new items (maybe the grouper?) and loved it. It was just a casual mention though, not a full review.

Thank you. I do have a vested interest, as we have reservations at CRT 5/7/13 for dinner after my girls' BBB appointment. I'm sure we will all be able to find something to eat, I'd just like to know what to expect!

I have Disney insomnia. I stay awake at night thinking about rides, food, etc, so between this new menu talk and FP+ information not being available, I'm going INSANE. :confused:

I think the menu sounds delicious! We've eaten at CRT once, and while it was good enough, I never saw myself going back. But this new menu may do, especially since the California Grill is closed for renovations. I really hope this is just the beginning of some updated menus. So tired of the dumbed down ones!

The menu posted in the OP isn't entirely accurate. The brussels sprouts side is only served with one entree, the grouper. The braised pork is served with root vegetables in demi-glas.

So unhappy with the changes!! Hoping that it goes back before our September trip:) Loved the tenderloin for dinner!!

The short ribs are only on the lunch menu. Beef tenderloin with potatoes and asparagus is on the dinner menu.

Ok now I want an ADR here, too bad I don't want to give up any of my existing ones.

Sweet sweet Brussels sprouts, I think I would make them give me a side of them even if I didn't order them. And I agree - roasted/sauteed and golden browned sprouts are a WORLD away from the soggy mess that is a boiled sprout.

The same goes for many veggies - I roast my broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots now...so delicious and retains all of the nutrients rather than leaching them out into the water!

New here and not trying to :stir: just sharing the love. :love:

I think the menu sounds delicious! We've eaten at CRT once, and while it was good enough, I never saw myself going back. But this new menu may do, especially since the California Grill is closed for renovations. I really hope this is just the beginning of some updated menus. So tired of the dumbed down ones!

I saw somewhere that CG is even changing their signature pork dish a bit. Making it smaller and adding pork belly to the same plate.

RyMacJ said:
I have Disney insomnia. I stay awake at night thinking about rides, food, etc, so between this new menu talk and FP+ information not being available, I'm going INSANE. :confused:

I feel your pain.... and we don't arrive until September.

Stacy

I saw somewhere that CG is even changing their signature pork dish a bit. Making it smaller and adding pork belly to the same plate.

Seriously? Pork Belly was so "five years ago". Can we please put pork belly, molten lava chocolate cake and Parmesan foam into a time capsule where they belong?

Brussel sprouts have received a really bad rap, IMO. Most people hear the term and think of brussel sprounts that have been steamed or boiled within an inch of their lives and are, admittedly, disgusting. Properly prepared, though, they are spectacular. I like to cut them in half, toss them with some olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs and roast them until they are crispy, and then shave some parmesan cheese over them. Mmmmmm, mmm, good!

I've admittedly not eaten at CRT yet -- we've gotten our princess fix at Akershus instead -- and part of the reason for that is that the food has never received rave reviews. With that being the case, I'm kinda psyched they are trying to go a different (and apparently more inventive) direction with the menu at CRT, because, you know, maybe it won't suck. Maybe it still will, but at least there's some effort being made. A for effort, IMO.

Seriously? Pork Belly was so "five years ago". Can we please put pork belly, molten lava chocolate cake and Parmesan foam into a time capsule where they belong?

Hold the phone! Pork belly is the second most delicious part of the pig, after the jowl. I'm with you on the lava cakes, though. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter