SO SAD! CRT menu DID change!

Not my cup of tea but I am a very plain eater. My husband would love it though.
I guess you are paying so much that they wanted to perhaps try to justify it with those types of meals and not just the characters? I don't know.

I don't understand why it is so hard for people to be sympathetic. :confused3 I get it - you were looking forward to eating in the castle, and thought you knew the menu, but then it changed. Now you don't like the menu. That is a disappointment.

The OP said she was sad that the menu changed when she really wanted to eat there, not that the restaurant had to serve food she liked.... And yeah, it is different than a random restaurant in a city that you go to for the food - people mainly eat at CRT to eat at the castle with the Princesses. The food selection is more limited as well than the average city restaurant.

I do agree with the OP that Brussel Sprouts are not a good choice for a restaurant with a limited menu. They are a good option, but not for the only option. Brussel Sprouts are from a category of vegetables that have a certain chemical in them - some people can taste that chemical, and it is very bitter, and some people can't taste it. If you can, you will never be able to like Brussel Sprouts.

I don't understand why it is so hard for people to be sympathetic. :confused3 I get it - you were looking forward to eating in the castle, and thought you knew the menu, but then it changed. Now you don't like the menu. That is a disappointment.

THIS above! Thank you!

I was a little surprised and upset by the amount of vitriol my post elicited. It's great that other people are pleased with the changes, and I understand that Disney can do whatever they want and we're mostly paying for the experience. I don't have to love the food, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want to like the food. :( And I also don't think it unreasonable to desire a menu that does not have identical sides for so many dishes.

Glad I was able to bring good news to people who love the menu change, and I just wanted to make people are aware. :)

It isn't that easy to just move on when you have to make your reservation 180+ days out. If I make a reservation based on the menu now, and then the week before my trip they change the menu then I wouldn't be happy either.
This is a fair point, but the subset of people who get "trapped" by a change in the menu so close to arrival date as to not be able to make satisfactory alternative arrangements is going to be very small and largely insignificant in the grand scheme. It is an unavoidable side effect of change. The only way to avoid the situation would be either to never change, or to announce new menus 181 days before implementing them.

...and we're mostly paying for the experience.
But I think this is precisely what they are trying to change. For years, people have complained about the fact that CRT was way overpriced and had dreadful food. So now they have raised the bar to make it a true upscale dining experience (at dinner) worthy of the price point. Especially with the FLE, people have other options and experiences awaiting them, and CRT will not be able to skate by as a $50 character meet and greet with pedestrian food. This was a needed change.

And I agree with you that it is a lazy move to repeat the sides on most every dish. Brussels sprouts are great. But come up with another featured side like roasted broccoli or haricot vert so that they can be swapped interchangeably upon request.

This is the plight of vegetarians almost everywhere, though. It's not limited to CRT. (I used to be a vegetarian, too, and I know how hard it can be to eat anything but salad and fries at some places!)

There is a vegetarian option. Poster was wrong (or just ignorant).

THIS above! Thank you!

I was a little surprised and upset by the amount of vitriol my post elicited.

Really? I think you were flamed because of the implied harshness of the tone. Being sad and mad over one meal (while eating at a great place like the Castle at a great place like WDW), saying there is NOTHING to eat when there is pasta, fish, chicken, and meat, and calling the menu insane seem a lttle much.

Really? I think you were flamed because of the implied harshness of the tone. Being sad and mad over one meal (while eating at a great place like the Castle at a great place like WDW), saying there is NOTHING to eat when there is pasta, fish, chicken, and meat, and calling the menu insane seem a lttle much.

Agreed. The tone was definitetly harsh

And I agree with you that it is a lazy move to repeat the sides on most every dish.

I don't think it's laziness, it's more cost and time efficient for the kitchen to offer fewer choices, a result of the DDP. The new menu, which I do appreciate and can certainly understand why others may not, is following a new concept for Disney. A concept now quite prevalent, BOG being another perfect example, very few choices, a pork, a beef, a fish, a seafood, a chicken and a vegetarian options and that's it!

In my mind they've elevated the menus a bit but in a very restrictive manner to maximize cost and kitchen efficiency!

My family and I would enjoy all 6 menu choices available but for someone who only does steak and potatoes or a vegan and a pescatarian the menu would be very restrictive!

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out! Will Disney cave!

This is the plight of vegetarians almost everywhere, though. It's not limited to CRT. (I used to be a vegetarian, too, and I know how hard it can be to eat anything but salad and fries at some places!)
I find the Disney chefs to be very accommodating when it comes to vegetarian options. My DD has ordered off the menu more than once.

Poster was wrong. There is a vegetarian option on the menu.
I know. My DD loves gnochi. The times that my DD ordered off the menu was when the vegetarian option was not to her liking. They are often too "fancy" for her. My point is that Disney chefs won't say "You must eat the Brussels Sprouts!" or "You must eat bacon on your fish!" There are mashed potatoes and green beans on the kids menu that can be substituted and they will make a different non-pork sauce for the fish. The OP can change things to her liking. Now, if the OP is too shy to ask for modifications then perhaps she should cancel.

The OP said she was sad that the menu changed when she really wanted to eat there, not that the restaurant had to serve food she liked.... And yeah, it is different than a random restaurant in a city that you go to for the food - people mainly eat at CRT to eat at the castle with the Princesses. The food selection is more limited as well than the average city restaurant.

I do agree with the OP that Brussel Sprouts are not a good choice for a restaurant with a limited menu. They are a good option, but not for the only option. Brussel Sprouts are from a category of vegetables that have a certain chemical in them - some people can taste that chemical, and it is very bitter, and some people can't taste it. If you can, you will never be able to like Brussel Sprouts.

AGREED! I ALWAYS roll my eyes when someone starts a post with "I have no sympathy blah blah blah..". Like ppl can never put themselves in the OP shoes- and get jollies on pointing that out.

I agree with the OP, the new menu that is posted is bizzarre. Maybe there is a gang of brussel sprout supporters here on the DIS, but my brother is a trained chef and will tell you that they are NOT a well loved veggie. Most ppl love them or hate them with no one just tolerating them. I happen to love them. BUT I know most don't. Therefore I am confused as to why CRT put them in like every dish practically. CRT has not nor will ever be the "IT" WDW venue for exotic food-loving foodies I think. It is a themed restaurant that survives on the patronage of mostly little girls and their families. Therefore I feel the food should represent a VERY WELL executed menu of food that appeals to middle America. I am not saying it needs to be pizza, burgers, and fries...but I just think if WDW guests want adventurous food there are all lot of options that fit the bill on property. But that is my humble opinion.

To the OP, book Akershus if you can. It is honestly better anyways. The food was surprisingly good, and varied enough for all eaters without anything too exotic. There is a salad bar included if worst comes to worst. And the princess interactions there are great, complete with parades. Oh, and you get a photo package with Belle. Best part, only 1 TS credit. I would try everyday to find an ADR there.

THIS above! Thank you!

I was a little surprised and upset by the amount of vitriol my post elicited. It's great that other people are pleased with the changes, and I understand that Disney can do whatever they want and we're mostly paying for the experience. I don't have to love the food, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want to like the food. :( And I also don't think it unreasonable to desire a menu that does not have identical sides for so many dishes.

Glad I was able to bring good news to people who love the menu change, and I just wanted to make people are aware. :)

I'm actually glad you did post this.... it made me book dinner ADR's. So thank you! Now, brussel sprouts aren't something that's going to make me do backflips over, not at all, but the main meals sounded good to me. I'm wondering if you can sub out the brussel sprouts for something else.... it might be worth asking. :confused3

I totally get it though that you're looking forward to something and when you get there, it's not what you expected at all. That's one of the reasons we booked Akershus for breakfast.... the lunch and dinner foods didn't appeal to us at all. So for us, I didn't want to pay for food I didn't think we'd like. But for someone else, it might be awesome. It just depends on the person. :)

I agree with the OP. I think it also sounds gross and don't think it has something for everyone. I do agree that the menus are too homogenous at WDW and that its nice to find something different.....But how about ONE boring, simple dish like steak and some form of potatoes so that us plain, meat-and-potato types can also enjoy eating in the castle.

This. Disney seems to think it has to be all or nothing. This would also be my argument for the children's menu at BOG. Yes, people were looking for something other than chicken fingers and mac and cheese for the kids. Fair point, but why not offer both types of food? :confused3 Some kids like grilled fish or steak and some just want the chicken fingers. Offering one more dish on any of the Disney menus certainly wouldn't be a terrible thing. They're awfully limited compared to many restaurants in the "real" world. Just sayin'. :goodvibes

I am not a picking eater at all there are some things i like better then other things. I understand about the menu thing and what the person who made this thread is talking about yes there is beef chicken fish veg.dishes and other thing but if meals come with brussel sprouts and u dont like them guess what u r not ordering it unless u can sub something out for something else. Yes it is a treat to eat in the castle and yes that is why most of us would do it or have already done it. it is expensive we all know that and if there is 6 things on the menu and you dont like mushrooms and brussel sprouts then there is not much left for you to order.
I would maybe call the resturant( on a slow time) before going and ask them if you can sub something instead of the brussel sprouts and get carrots or something like that from one of the other dishes it is worth a shot.

I don't think it's laziness, it's more cost and time efficient for the kitchen to offer fewer choices, a result of the DDP. In culinary terms, that is the very definition of laziness. Cut cost. Cut time. Increase efficiency at the expense of creativity. When one refers to a restaurant as being " lazy", that is what is meant. Not that the workers don't work hard. But that management is cutting corners. The new menu, which I do appreciate and can certainly understand why others may not, is following a new concept for Disney. A concept now quite prevalent, BOG being another perfect example, very few choices, a pork, a beef, a fish, a seafood, a chicken and a vegetarian options and that's it! Offering a pork, beef, chicken, fish and pasta choice is hardly a new concept. Pretty much the formula since the post Edwardian era.

My family and I would enjoy all 6 menu choices available but for someone who only does steak and potatoes or a vegan and a pescatarian the menu would be very restrictive!

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out! Will Disney cave!

It's funny. 15 years ago, magazines were writing feature stories on how WDW was setting the standard for resort and vacation dining. And people rejoiced. Then, a huge downturn in quality and creativity happened and people here freaked out. Now, there is a concerted effort to ramp up the quality and creativity again, and people complain that they want boring food again. Trust me. There is plenty of that to be found at WDW. But let's welcome the fact that the higher priced restaurants are flexing their culinary muscles and challenging the masses to think out of the box and try "exotic" foods such as gnocchi, grouper and Brussels sprouts.

It's funny. 15 years ago, magazines were writing feature stories on how WDW was setting the standard for resort and vacation dining. And people rejoiced. Then, a huge downturn in quality and creativity happened and people here freaked out. Now, there is a concerted effort to ramp up the quality and creativity again, and people complain that they want boring food again. Trust me. There is plenty of that to be found at WDW. But let's welcome the fact that the higher priced restaurants are flexing their culinary muscles and challenging the masses to think out of the box and try "exotic" foods such as gnocchi, grouper and Brussels sprouts.

Agree! I think one reason these threads get a tiny bit heated is that folks who are happy to see Disney improve a bit are afraid that with these types of complaints Disney will retreat back to boring menus with the same food everywhere and very limited (and somewhat insulting) offerings for children. I for one am hoping this trend towards more interesting food continues and grows.

My family is taking a year break from Disney to see how so many of these changes play out. Looking forward to many many days at an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean where dining reservations can be made the day before and the menus are diverse.

I am always the oddity in the bunch, I think the new CRT menu looks good. I have been to a few upscale restaurants locally, and their menus have always been "Disneyesque" in that there are limited choices.

By offering fewer items, there is a greater chance of having better food. In the same vein, the more items offered, there could be a reduction in quality, not necessarily bad food, but not great food. Case in point, all the opinions on Disney buffets, lots of variety, but many saying the food is not worth the price.

Change is the only certainty :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter