So, I have this dead armadillo....

In the front yard, Sunday morning. I'm thinking, "Probably not the best place for a dead armadillo". So, I scoop the thing up with the shovel & head for the woods about 100 yards away and give 'er the old heave ho.

As it turns out, I have greatly underestimated the distance dead armadillo smell travels, particularly one hung up in the trees as a result of the old heave ho going horribly wrong.

The prevailing wind is carrying this delightful scent across the bulk of the yard (thankfully, not toward the house). The poor dog is so distracted by (or enthralled with) this aroma she's refusing to do her business in the yard. It's going to be 90 again tomorrow. I hope the buzzards do their job soon!

You made my day with this! I hope the buzzards bring friends and help you out.

I remember about 20 years ago when we first started seeing them along I-44 around Lebanon. Within a couple years, it went from one here or there to several per mile LOL.
How COOL is that!! Please update us on the status of your current situation often and in minute detail. I hope this thread never drops from the first page - just reading the title cracks me up!! :rotfl:

Well, after 2 days of holding it, the dog dropped a load and a half today - in the house :(

Well, after 2 days of holding it, the dog dropped a load and a half today - in the house :(
Just when I thought this couldn't get any better, you post this. I guess you have to give that the old heave ho now, too. Keep the updates coming because I am starting to think my life might be normal afterall.

So, how's it hangin'? The armadillo, that is. It's been over 24 hrs. Is it still up in the tree?

Wasn't this a song in the 70's by Tony Orlando and Dawn?

"Tie an armadillo 'round the old oak tree..."

ETA: I think this thread will go down in history like the guy with a possum in his car. ;)

Last edited:
I remember about 20 years ago when we first started seeing them along I-44 around Lebanon. Within a couple years, it went from one here or there to several per mile LOL.

Yep. We were on I-44. And it was indeed several per mile. No exaggeration. It was quite an odd sight.

I am just in awe you had an armadillo in your yard!!! WOW!!!!

Not sure about Missouri, but down in the deep south, it's too, too common - IF they manage to get ACROSS the road!! :D Hate, hate them - they are sooo destructive - not really sure 'what' they are good for! LOL (about like a 'possum!!!)

Its my dream to see an armadillo one day!! I've seen 2 dead ones on the drive down to disney, but never a living one. They are so stinkin cute!!! (pun intended....)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter