So about this Hurricane - 10/7 Dream cancelled, 10/7 Magic Canadian, 10/8 now 10/9 Fantasy 6-night

My brother messaged me that the storm went west of CC. Hopefully that is good news.

Re: Matthew going west of CC...How far west is the question. Typically you would prefer to be on the west side of a hurricane rather than the east. Usually the east side of the eye has stronger winds and thus more damage.

My brother messaged me that the storm went west of CC. Hopefully that is good news.

Not really. If the storm passed west of CC, then the island is on the east side of the storm. When moving northwards, the "right" side of the storm is the east...which means that's the worst side of the storm.

Re: Matthew going west of CC...How far west is the question. Typically you would prefer to be on the west side of a hurricane rather than the east. Usually the east side of the eye has stronger winds and thus more damage.
The eye didn't pass directly over CC, but not far enough west to make much difference. Besides, the East side of a hurricane is the strongest.

I will say- we found out we were going to costa maya as we were randomly walking by port adventures during the Halloween party- captain didnt announce for another 20 Minutes- weird!!!
Overall I feel like the communication has been good- they have the NWS and ship-board track on the in-house channel 4, and the captain has given us weather lessons (and updates) every night before the shows as well as during other announcements.
They've also been really good announcing everything in multiple languages and staying REALLY Disney positive.
They are offering about 20 shore excursions tomorrow in costa maya- what can I say- they work fast.
One last thing- we were docked next to the Norwegian Sky today in Cozumel and as we were pulling away I could hear their captain announce that they would start to feel the effects of Matthew tomorrow afternoon (I think they are headed to Miami)- I am SO glad we are waiting another day to keep us away from that as much as possible. I've seen the videos of the Fantasy through Sandy- I'm hoping Disney learned their lesson because I definitely don't want that!

So thankful for your posts and positive attitude given all that's going on!

We were on the Dream just last week. Leiber was our assistant server in the MDRs. If by chance he is yours, give him a BIG hug from the Bonds family from last week. He was amazing and he (as well as so many others) has been constantly on my mind.

The eye didn't pass directly over CC, but not far enough west to make much difference. Besides, the East side of a hurricane is the strongest.

looking at the satellite loop, it looks like the eye passed to the west of castaway cay by less than 40 miles (just an estimate looking at the map and comparing the distance of 70 miles between Nassau and CC) - so the storm surge should not be as bad as if the eye pass right over the top of the island - but not good either :scared1:. But it WAS in the strongest winds sector of the hurricane.

Update from the Dream- the captain just announced that due to issues with transportation/roads/hotels we are welcome to remain on board on Saturday night. This will be in port canaveral, or at sea on our way to an alternate port (debarking Sunday and transported to canaveral). Even Jimmy (cruise director) didn't seem his normal chipper self.

I will say having the weather channel and news channels all the time is starting to wear on me- I need to try and leave the weather worries behind to try and enjoy these next two days.

Worry about my car in port canaveral (I don't care about the car itself- it can float away, but the hassle), has taken hold.

This has been a rough year for my family (my father died, a tree fell on my house, I had two surgeries) made me look at this as an "away from it all trip" which isn't really happening..

It's all going to be okay!!!!

Update from the Dream- the captain just announced that due to issues with transportation/roads/hotels we are welcome to remain on board on Saturday night. This will be in port canaveral, or at sea on our way to an alternate port (debarking Sunday and transported to canaveral). Even Jimmy (cruise director) didn't seem his normal chipper self.

I will say having the weather channel and news channels all the time is starting to wear on me- I need to try and leave the weather worries behind to try and enjoy these next two days.

Worry about my car in port canaveral (I don't care about the car itself- it can float away, but the hassle), has taken hold.

This has been a rough year for my family (my father died, a tree fell on my house, I had two surgeries) made me look at this as an "away from it all trip" which isn't really happening..

I am so sorry!! It IS all going to be OK! the car is still "stuff" and it is out of your hands now. You are in good company and everyone will be able to exchange info on what to do if there is damage to your car when you get there. You're safe and you're all together.

Everything will be ok! You're safe, in paradise, and getting an extra long vacation for free!

Don't stress about the car and turn off the tv! Enjoy your vacation and deal with the rest on Sunday! :)

:grouphug:
Yes, it will!

Sorry it's been so rough. :hug:

Stay strong, try to relax and enjoy. You are safe, not alone and everything else will work its way out, hopefully without much hassle - this storm is a major event, everyone is aware so it should make it easier if problems arise.

Wishing you the best and a safe return.

Looks like it passed very close, which would have meant the strongest winds. Also, from the looks of the latest updates, Matthew is doing a double-dip and will be back near Castway Cay on Tuesday evening.

Thank you for the posts.
Hang in there, it sounds like you are in good hands.

@hmkenn0 :hug: Turn off the TV and Internet - go enjoy your extended vacation! All will be OK. You and your family are safe - everything else is just stuff.

@hmkenn0 :hug: Turn off the TV and Internet - go enjoy your extended vacation! All will be OK. You and your family are safe - everything else is just stuff.

Thank you for your updates, but I agree --- turn off the TV monitors and even feel free to stay away from here. Enjoy your days on the ocean. Praying you have a joyful trip. ❤

Updates:
  • Just called DCL customer service and they were unable to help with upgrades because I booked using my DVC points, sigh, so now I have to call DVC member services at 9:00.
  • At this time Canadian port adventures can only be booked on ship at their desk on deck 3. So that is where I will be running to as soon as we board.
  • My husband decided that he will go with us on the cruise, which is nice since our 11th anniversary is on 10/9 and we have a dinner reservation scheduled for Palo that night.
Question:
  • Has anyone taken a cruise with this Canadian itinerary in October? Just curious if the pools will be open and/or if it will be too cold for my 8 year old daughter to swim (trying to figure out if I still need to pack bathing suits - of course I can always buy them on board if needed )
Thanks!

We are on the 10/7 Magic and were just on the WBTA cruise which ended September 28th in NYC. We visited Sydney and Halifax. While it was warmer than usual for September it was still a bit cool in Sydney. Halifax weather was windy but sunny and warmer.

MJ

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter