Snake at OKW!!

TammyAlphabet

DIS Veteran<br><font color=red>Life Member - "excl
During our christmas trip to the OKW, I saw a fairly large black snake cross the sidewalk in front of me by the village pool. I was about two or three feet away from it and it scared me to death! Whenever i see the Disney World snake threads, I think of that snake. LOL! Any one else see this snake near building 41?? :earseek:

Yikes. I think I would have jumped a mile if I saw that thing.

Karen

Florida has it's benefits...warm weather, Disney, etc. But it also has it's negatives...snakes and bugs. I didn't see "your" snake, but we've seen snakes at TL, BB, and MK. I went to Cypress Gardens one time in 2001 and saw 5 snakes in one day. Yuck, don't like snakes!

We scared a snake away who was sunning himself on the monorail ramp at EPCOT.

We have seen several snakes over the past 30+ years at many of the resorts, pool areas, and even at the parks. Perhaps the most startling was at River Country the last year it was open.

We saw several CMs running full steam towards the lake and right towards us as we were relaxing at the beach area. About 10 feet past us was the BIGGEST snake we had ever seen heading straight for us! :scared1:

My DW is VERY, VERY, VERY, scared of Snakes and I thought we were going to lose her :faint:

Our kids thought it was the greatest thing ever! :rolleyes:

Snakes are good! They control the rodents. I would rather see snakes than mice. Snakes won't chew their way into your picnic basket!

We see lots of lizards at WDW, too!

Saw one right next to the sidewalk at AK a few years back in April. It curled up as if tostrike when people approached it. DH refuses to go back

If it was black and big - it might have been a king snake - they eat the other snakes - a very good creature.

Did you see the Eagles.....

Uhhh....King snakes are not indiginous to Florida, I though if they were large and black they were a King Cobra, and venomous!! if they are red,yellow and black striped they are a king snake. You know, "red touches black, no friend to Jack, black touches yellow, friend to a fellow"?

But I have been wrong before. Could have sworn that's what Animal Planet taught me. :)

Eyore4Ever149 said:
Uhhh....King snakes are not indiginous to Florida, I though if they were large and black they were a King Cobra, and venomous!! if they are red,yellow and black striped they are a king snake. You know, "red touches black, no friend to Jack, black touches yellow, friend to a fellow"?

But I have been wrong before. Could have sworn that's what Animal Planet taught me. :)

Um, King Cobras are natives of Africa and Asia, not the US! It was probably a harmless snake, but it certainly wasn't a cobra.

spiceycat said:
If it was black and big - it might have been a king snake - they eat the other snakes - a very good creature.
Spicecat is probably correct. We've seen king snakes at OKW a couple times. We see them around here in south Louisiana quite often....had one in our house once. I don't care if they're considered a 'good' snake...a snake is a snake and I don't want them in my house!

Shortly before our May '04 trip to WDW, my DH and I were biking on the trails in Northern Michigan. A baby black snake with an orange stripe was right in the middle of the trail and I ran over it before I could do anything and it kicked up off my back tire into the air. I was so petrified I cried for over an hour!

Needless to say, the whole time we were at our resort in Kissimmee I was obsessed with looking out for snakes, for fear one would be near. I would have had a heart attack if we actually seen one at WDW!!!

there are more snakes in FL than alligators - so you will see them - it would be very hard for WDW to remove all the snakes - they can hide a whole lot easier than an alligator.

Fl has the most snake bits of any state in the US - so tell your children not to go near them....

I know what you are talking about on Animal Planet - but in the South the King snake is all black - no other colors and is a VERY large snake. Several times bigger than the other snakes that are native to AL.

the ones I have seem are as wide as rope and can be around 5 to 8 feet. - a big snake. that is in AL and I think Fl has the same type.

I've never seen a snake at WDW, but have no doubt they are there. I hope I never do see one - I'd be hyper-ventilating in a nano-second. It's one of those intellectual-emotional things: intellectually I know that snakes are a "good thing" for the environment, emotionally I want those suckers right out of whatever ecosystem I happen to be inhabiting - without my seeing them of course.

I chased one away from SAB and back into the lake a couple of years ago. I love snakes but didn't think one needed to be in the pool with the kiddies. It was a huge one and was all black.

Cool! That would be one way to convince my kids we don't really need to stay at the BC next summer. They are dying to go to SAB, but killing my budget!

In early November I stayed at Wilderness Lodge and went out for a quick nighttime swim at 11:20ish. Guess what was in the pool swimming around near the bridge in the back? A lovely little snake! He was sorta speckled dark brownish. Disney's animal control people came, and one went into the pool and caught the snake and put it in a white sack. They said it was a "brown bandit" and they are commonly found in pools. Ack! :eek:

Even so, I hopped in the pool and took my swim after they left - I just kept my eyes open just in case the snake had friends! :teeth:

I'm deathly afraid of both snakes and spiders (remeber that spider thread :sad2: I was worried about running into that spider at AKL!). About ten years ago we were in the lazy river at TL and low and behold a friend was in the water with us! Needless to say a good amount of us were freaking out...TL had 4 lifegaurds working on getting it out. At my house anytime someone brings up a water park the story always gets told.

I'm deathly afraid of snakes... If I had to guess I would say maybe it was a bull snake. They're black in color, and will bite but aren't venemous. We found one in our shower years ago, this was at home though, not WDW.

A few years go we were staying at the Wilderness Lodge. Our children were 7, 4, and almost 2 at the time. We brought the stroller on our way to our p.s. for CRT , ds was ready to walk now but we knew he'd need it later. I had the stroller and was walking merrily out the back door to the boat dock a few feet ahead of the rest - wanted to make the ferry on time you know! I'm walking and my dh yells my name and says SNAKE! Now this word in itself frightens me to death. I can't watch Animal Planet when the snakes are on. I look down and there is a greenish black, and who the heck knows what other color ('cause I wasn't staying to find out) SNAKE next to the sidewalk, COILED UP AND LOOKING AT ME I SWEAR (I think he was about to cross the sidewalk and was ticked at me) and it happened. I always knew if I came face to face I would freak out and I did. I saw it and a bunch of expletives that I can not repeat and never say (at least in public ;-) came flying out of my mouth as I RAN with the stroller and ran until I reached the boat dock. I stopped, took a breath and remembered I left my family to deal with the snake! They said I scared it when I screamed (along with the people on the other side of the pool who just saw a woman running with a stroller cussing) and it went under a bush and they walked around it. I was so embarassed that I went around the resort with sunglasses on so nobody would recognize the crazy stroller woman. I hate snakes so much it ruined my appetite and that really made me mad since those p.s. are hard to get! LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter