• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Smoking Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Disney is welcome to all groups of people. By this new policy it appears to solidify that stance. As a prior poster has stated, while they can’t make you quit they don’t have to help you do it. The addiction is real - breaking that should be looked at as a positive.

Most guests.

The vast majority of the US does not smoke, only around 15% do. I do think this will be more of an issue for European guests tho. I also think many guests won’t realize this policy until they are actually there. Many don’t do extensive research like us here on the boards.
How difficult would it be for multi-billion dollar Disney to install the smokers zones like they have in Europe, so that the smoke is contained and doesn't drift?

If Disney had done that, it would have marked a real solution effort to maximize the comfort of non-smoking guests, and treated smokers with a modicum of respect.

Disney has chosen to just basically said to smokers, "you're very welcome to leave...the park, and enjoy our parking lot."
And that probably would've been a more fair action to take. But I'm guessing they didn't want to spend the money or give the space. It also doesn't help with third-hand smoke, that most non-smokers still find offensive. They'd also have to subject their employees to the area to be cleaned, something more and more companies are unwilling to do.

Also although 15% of Americans smoke, the rates of smoking are inversely proportional to economic status, meaning it's doubtful anywhere near 15% of Disney's customers smoke. This was obviously a business decision and they decided to make the vast majority of their guests happier at the expense of others, while spending little of their own money.

My wife read about a lady on Facebook who vowed to quit smoking over this policy change. I hope a lot of others do the same and are successful. I know a few people in my life that I'd like to see follow suit.

Imagine how many more limited edition cupcakes you can buy if you quit smoking!

Folks fly long flights everyday without smoking. People have jobs where no smoking is done for a 12 hour shift It’s a non issue to go a day in the park without smoking. Deal with it. I’m not anti smoking. I love cigars. But going say 12 hours without a cigarette is nothing. I know plenty of smokers that do just that. Disney has a new policy. Deal with it. Leave the park and smoke. If one doesn’t like that. Then don’t come. No one cares. No one will feel sorry for you. We all have things we deal with. So deal with it.
Wear a patch or whatever. But if you want to smoke. You’ll have to head on out. Life goes on. I happily wait till evening to have a cigar. Always have.
Note:can we now get jorts banned,? Lol

Last edited:

My wife read about a lady on Facebook who vowed to quit smoking over this policy change. I hope a lot of others do the same and are successful. I know a few people in my life that I'd like to see follow suit.

Imagine how many more limited edition cupcakes you can buy if you quit smoking!
This!:)

And that probably would've been a more fair action to take. But I'm guessing they didn't want to spend the money or give the space. It also doesn't help with third-hand smoke, that most non-smokers still find offensive. They'd also have to subject their employees to the area to be cleaned, something more and more companies are unwilling to do.

Also although 15% of Americans smoke, the rates of smoking are inversely proportional to economic status, meaning it's doubtful anywhere near 15% of Disney's customers smoke. This was obviously a business decision and they decided to make the vast majority of their guests happier at the expense of others, while spending little of their own money.

Third hand smoke is a relatively new concept, and as of now, researchers are still studying it. So rather a moot point, IMHO.

So what you are saying is that the socio-economic breakdown of cigarette smokers, means that they and their family and friends are too poor to actually afford to visit Disney?... Very interesting.

Last edited:

Disney Springs is privately owned
Disney Springs is owned by The Walt Disney Company.
The Walt Disney Company owned by shareholders.
Public, not private.
For all the public knows at this time, is that there's going to be an area somewhere probably nearer to the parking lot.
There's going to be a DSA outside each park. The Magic Kingdom one is unlikely to be near the parking lot.

It may not seem like a big deal to a non-smoker. But it's the culmination of the prevailing atmosphere at the Disney parks, where minimal, out of the way DSA's still managed to create an antagonistic anti-smoker atmosphere. <self edited>

I grew up in a time where smoking was accommodated everywhere, then limited, and now nearly eliminated, at least in CA. I tell my kids about smoking sections on airplanes and in restaurants and they just don't believe me. These are VERY good changes, and I can't ever imagine going back. Think about it; you used to be able to smoke on airplanes, in any seat, regardless of who was sitting next to you. That's CRAZY is today's world! I'm sorry if you feel as though you are in an antagonistic atmosphere, but it really is more than a little surprising that Disney has been so accommodating to this point - not the other way around.

Let Tom Sawyer Island be the one smoking area and it would be both more popular AND more accurately themed to the 1800s!
Sure it would. No matter that it attracts a lot of very young children.

Well then, you & others who haven’t seen this type of drunken behavior should consider yourselves lucky! The kiddos in our family never even want to step foot in Epcot again & quite frankly, we don’t blame them for feeling that way.
Not lucky. We've never seen drunken behavior in Epcot and we are local so we visit regularly. This experience is the exception, not the rule.

On a different topic - smoking in Europe. We are back from our most recent European vacation where we spent 2 weeks in Spain, France and Italy. The number of people smoking in these locations was very low. People smoking is on the decline for sure.

How difficult would it be for multi-billion dollar Disney to install the smokers zones like they have in Europe, so that the smoke is contained and doesn't drift?

If Disney had done that, it would have marked a real solution effort to maximize the comfort of non-smoking guests, and treated smokers with a modicum of respect.

Disney has chosen to just basically said to smokers, "you're very welcome to leave...the park, and enjoy our parking lot."

Have you been living in the US in the last 20 years?
Do you really think in this day and age a mult-billion dollar company is going to invest in something that enables a habit that kills almost half a million people a year?

Third hand smoke is a relatively new concept, and as of now, researchers are still studying it. So rather a moot point, IMHO.

So what you are saying is that the socio-economic breakdown of cigarette smokers, means that they and their family and friends are too poor to actually afford to visit Disney?... Very interesting.

So from the song "Be Our Guest"...Be our guest, but only if you're a wealthy non-smoker???
Whether or not third hand smoke has health issues isn't what I meant, I said most non-smokers find it offensive and the smoking rooms make it much worse.

I'm not trying to be insulting, but it is a basic fact that as income and education increase, smoking rates sharply decrease. It's also no secret that Disney parks target upper middle class and above. Disney has never been an obtainable vacation for lower income families.

Disney isn't fully banning smoking, just making it more inconvent. They do fully ban all kinds of other addictions from happening any where on property and others anywhere in public. They also aren't out of line with the rest of the US with this policy.

Do you really think in this day and age a mult-billion dollar company is going to invest in something that enables a habit that kills almost half a million people a year?

Multi-billion dollar companies are made on the habits, some very bad habits that kill people. Hello... Perdue Pharma.

If there ever comes a day when alcohol or fattening foods is not profitable... It will become the next fashionably undesirable cause. Then we will see how many people will be pitching a fit over not having a "Wine Festival" or a fattening and delicious MM Ears ice cream.

I grew up in a time where smoking was accommodated everywhere, then limited, and now nearly eliminated, at least in CA. I tell my kids about smoking sections on airplanes and in restaurants and they just don't believe me. These are VERY good changes, and I can't ever imagine going back. Think about it; you used to be able to smoke on airplanes, in any seat, regardless of who was sitting next to you. That's CRAZY is today's world! I'm sorry if you feel as though you are in an antagonistic atmosphere, but it really is more than a little surprising that Disney has been so accommodating to this point - not the other way around.
I work on old airplanes. When I pull documents and drawings from the 50s-90s they still smell like smoke. Most offices let people smoke until the 90s, which is just unbelievable to think about nowadays.

I actually haven't survived going there, I am headed there in May. Thanks for the warning as I would not want to smoke in areas it is not allowed, I will make sure to research where and when it is ok. Thanks for the heads up!

Hawaii is not a friend to smokers. http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/0...-lawmakers-want-ban-cigarette-sales-entirely/ We noticed that even in the places that you could smoke, there were few people. Also many were very considerate and did not smoke while walking in Waikiki, they stood off to the side so the people behind them did not keep getting a lungful. It is so beautiful there and everyone seems to be relaxed and enjoying themselves. Have fun.

Heck, in 1990, he probably could have still smoked on several airlines, gotten a smoking room at a Deluxe resort at WDW, smoked in the hotel bar and some restaurants on property. All of which probably just made cravings worse. The difference in smoking in public places between 1990 and 1999 was massive. There is now two generations of kids who had no idea was it was like to walk into a restaurant and smell cigarettes on a regular basis (so they invented vaping)

Right, definitely at the mall and such. Not at work as it was a power plant and I bet they had some regulations to follow.

Thank you for your genuine question!! I can't speak for all smokers but for me gum or the patch just wouldn't cut it. It would probably take the edge off but I would still feel awful. It's not just the nicotine, it's the actual act of smoking that we are addicted to. I really wish I could explain what it feels like to need a cigarette but unless you are a smoker, you just can't understand. I'll go back to my food analogy, if you haven't eaten all day and you were staving Would 1 cracker satisfy you? Probably not.

I am lucky that our kids are grown so I don't have to choose between my children missing out on Disney because I am choosing not to vacation there after my booked trips. If I could go back to my 14 year old self and slap me in the face for smoking that first cigarette I would.

Thanks for your answer. I know it's a tool for those looking to quit. I wasn't aware of side effects but that makes sense. Ultimately one must decide on their own what to do. Perhaps this change might prompt some who are thinking about quitting to pull the trigger.

Whether or not third hand smoke has health issues isn't what I meant, I said most non-smokers find it offensive and the smoking rooms make it much worse.

I'm not trying to be insulting, but it is a basic fact that as income and education increase, smoking rates sharply decrease. It's also no secret that Disney parks target upper middle class and above. Disney has never been an obtainable vacation for lower income families.

Disney isn't fully banning smoking, just making it more inconvent. They do fully ban all kinds of other addictions from happening any where on property and others anywhere in public. They also aren't out of line with the rest of the US with this policy.

I know you weren't trying to be insulting. It is an economic fact that most lower income people can only dream of visiting Disney, and that smoking is more prevalent therein.
What I do have a problem with is that when these statistics are tossed around they produce a negative narrative, that stresses economic status as a construct to make inconvenience more palatable.

Only if it makes them money!! Do you see Disney illuminating fatt, cholesterol clogging foods? Of coarse not, that would be ridiculous. Do you think millions of people you're don't die of weight related deaths each year?

Multi-billion dollar companies are made on the habits, some very bad habits that kill people. Hello... Perdue Pharma.

If there ever comes a day when alcohol or fattening foods is not profitable... It will become the next fashionably undesirable cause. Then we will see how many people will be pitching a fit over not having a "Wine Festival" or a fattening and delicious MM Ears ice cream.

Well for now it is smoking, so best to get with the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter