slo’s THURSDAY 9/8 poll - Putting Your Napkin On Your Lap

When do you put your napkin on your lap when dining? (M.C.)

• Napkin is always on my lap - 100% of the time

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Napkin is always on my lap for dinner only - anywhere - home or out

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Napkin is on my lap when out to eat - any restaurant

Votes: 54 52.4%
  • Napkin is on my lap when out to eat - fine dining only

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Napkin is on my lap when dining with guests - anywhere - home or out

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Napkin is on my lap when someone reminds me to do so

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Napkin is on my lap when I eat something messy

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Napkin is never on my lap

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I didn’t know you were supposed to put your napkin on your lap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 4 3.9%

• Total voters
Always when eating out or a special occasion, holidays etc. Normally we are on the go due to sports etc so we eat at quickly. However, when we are all together for Sunday diner, we all eat together in the dining room. Place settings and napkins are set up and they will be on our laps.

Always on my lap. If I'm eating something that's especially messy (barbecue) I might keep an extra by my plate.

On my lap when dining out, except for fast food. I don’t use them at home. If I am eating something with the potential to be extra messy, like BBQ, I grab a paper towel.

Yes, always. Another habit ingrained in me as a child.

If I’m at a restaurant where the utensils are rolled in a napkin, first thing I do is put the napkin on my lap and the utensils in the proper places (fork on left, knife and spoon on right).
Like the knife, fork, and spoon on the table?

I wait until I have my plate of food. Then the napkin goes on my lap and the utensils are placed on the plates. I'm admit it's silly because I didn't clean the utensils or plates either, but I'm not putting them down on the table I haven't cleaned, or more on the table I have often watched cleaned with a filthy rag that cleaned 100 other tables before mine.

My answer is sometimes. Definitely if it's a "fine dining" situation, definitely not when it's those tiny napkins out of the dispenser, but I can't really pin down an exact line somewhere between those - I think it depends on how messy the food it, whether it's a booth or table, etc.

We do use cloth napkins at home, but we are definitely not fancy. It's more of save-the-planet gesture (to make up for the amount of paper towels we use for other stuff.)

Like the knife, fork, and spoon on the table?

I wait until I have my plate of food. Then the napkin goes on my lap and the utensils are placed on the plates. I'm admit it's silly because I didn't clean the utensils or plates either, but I'm not putting them down on the table I haven't cleaned, or more on the table I have often watched cleaned with a filthy rag that cleaned 100 other tables before mine.

That’s a good point. I sometimes wait for the food, but sometimes there’s an empty dinner plate already there, or maybe just a small bread plate. And sometimes there’s a tablecloth or a paper covering or placemat. I’m thinking of nicer restaurants that use cloth napkins, not fast food or diners. It depends. Though sometimes I suppose I do put the utensils directly on the table, and admittedly, I’m not always concerned about cleanliness/germs unless it’s visibly dirty. Like you say, who knows how clean anything really is. :confused3

All I meant to say is that I automatically put the napkin on my lap before eating, because my parents drilled it into me that it’s proper etiquette.

You can’t use it if it’s on your lap?

For me, it’s always on my lap whether it’s fine dining, a diner, or fast food.
And then put the dirty napkin back in my lap? It’s just easier to have it readily accessible. Especially if eating something messy. Sometimes I’ll use several napkins during a meal.

If eating out, cloth napkins. on my lap. Paper, usually on the table. Messy food, probably one in front of me also to protect shirt. If home, paper towel most likely, not on lap, but maybe in front of shirt.

I guess when out eating fine dining, cloth napkin on my lap. Paper napkins are by my plate.

I only put a napkin on the lap when eating out either at a restaurant or a friend’s house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter