Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I think both of these additions will be great for transportation. I recently stayed at a bus only resort and while I had AMAZING luck catching busses, additional transportation is always a good thing. Some will find the gondolas exciting, but some, probably like my mother who is afraid of heights, will not. Some will find the Minnie Vans a waste of money, but some will love the fact they have a Disney expert driving them around and peace of mind that they will probably have all sorts of car seats and accommodations that you can't always find with a random Uber for $5 less.

I fully agree with this - though that is assuming it is in addition to buses and not instead of. Like at the Poly they don't have bears to MK or EPCOT- I hope they don't do that at POP and say the only way now to get to EPCOT or DHS is the gondolas

My husband and I were chatting about the gondolas today. I am wondering if they are going to be conceptualized and marketed as transportation, or as an attraction requiring FastPasses. I can see the whole system devolving into just another slow ride rather than the location-to-location transportation that it is being touted as. Watching with interest.

They are not in a park though so not sure how FP would work for FP.

Though does make me wonder if they would give priority to people staying at those resorts vs those that just want a ride

They are not in a park though so not sure how FP would work for FP.

Though does make me wonder if they would give priority to people staying at those resorts vs those that just want a ride
I know! They are planning a hub at the International Gateway at EPCOT, but that is outside the gates. I have so many questions!

We thought about this too. The gondolas will need to be consistently presented as a means to get to another place. Families in the "attraction" mentality may want that gondola to themselves, so a polite but direct way would have to be developed to fill the gondolas to capacity.

If the hold, say 8 people and a family takes up 5 or 6, not sure if they would add to that - but could see them putting a few smaller groups in the same one

Though could also vary depending on high volume times vs lower volume times

Does anyone know when they will be coming. played for guests to ride... I think September 2018 is too optimistic

RE: trams, I read a rumor (here on DIS somewhere) that if they are accident free for 5 yr.s they'll put one in over at AKL/CSR, I'd love that - except can we go w/ a 3 yr. trial please? That'd have them up and running in time for 50 enhancements for the 50th!
Them waiting to see if they are accident free doesn't make any sense.

Accident may have been the wrong word, perhaps it was to see how they performed - don't remember which thread I read it in - it caught my attention because I'd really like a non bus way to get from AKL to AK.
I bet they're definitely going to see how well this works with this line. If it goes well I wouldn't be surprised seeing it expanded locally around the resort (AKL-AK for example)

Accident may have been the wrong word, perhaps it was to see how they performed - don't remember which thread I read it in - it caught my attention because I'd really like a non bus way to get from AKL to AK.
I have heard of something about AKL but it is not supposed to be gondolas.

I fully agree with this - though that is assuming it is in addition to buses and not instead of. Like at the Poly they don't have bears to MK or EPCOT- I hope they don't do that at POP and say the only way now to get to EPCOT or DHS is the gondolas
Great point, I would HOPE its in addition, but I guess you never know.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up elsewhere on the boards but I keep wondering if sometime in the (distant) future they would consider replacing the entire monorail system with the gondola system. Anyone have any thoughts on this? It could probably take the same route, including right through the Contemporary. It would obviously cause major disruption but as we all know, the poor monorail is looking more and more sad by the week.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up elsewhere on the boards but I keep wondering if sometime in the (distant) future they would consider replacing the entire monorail system with the gondola system. Anyone have any thoughts on this? It could probably take the same route, including right through the Contemporary. It would obviously cause major disruption but as we all know, the poor monorail is looking more and more sad by the week.
It has been brought up but I don't think this is feasible to replace the monorail in the MK area. They would need much higher capacity there.

It has been brought up but I don't think this is feasible to replace the monorail in the MK area. They would need much higher capacity there.

Would they?

The resort monorail would serve far less rooms...

And if you eliminated the monorail from the ttc for something else. A tramway/bridge would be the smart move...then gondolas are in business and can connect the ft wilderness area as well.

Would they?

The resort monorail would serve far less rooms...

And if you eliminated the monorail from the ttc for something else. A tramway/bridge would be the smart move...then gondolas are in business and can connect the ft wilderness area as well.
Well if you use something else for the TTC then it would be okay but if gondolas were serve both resorts and TTC I think there would be problems.

Smaller Gondola cars, make them quicker to load and send along the route. You'd either end up with empty spots in the bigger ones, or far slower service overall as they try to pack the seats. Ultimately you have the same weight to bare on the cable system, so you might as well have the cars come more often.
I suspect the cars will 80% filled as they leave the station in most instance. Just enough to fill a car with one family in most cases, or two small families.

So Dan Boris was right.

said tongue in cheek.
Still not a ton of detail, but excited none the less.

I'm amazed at how much stuff was announced at d23, it makes this announcement pretty minor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter