simular and different between parks vs DCL

Justacruiser

Military Veteran
This is going to have to be response driven poll. I want you to compare a park (DL or WDW) to a DCL cruise. What are the things that you find simular and the differences. I think most on this board would be a fan of the parks and of cruises. Just trying to get some reponses.

This might provide information to those that have done one and not the other. Giving them the things that are alike and different.

I wouldn't think there would be bashing on this thread. Share some experiences to support your responses if you want.

I will give you my answers tomorrow.

thanks in advance

Comparing WDW to DCL is like comparing an apple to a banana. WDW & DCL have Disney characters - an apple and a banana are fruit. They are very different experiences. The parks are busy, hot (we go in July), go go go, fun but tiring. A DCL cruise is relaxing, fun, exciting, less planning (maybe an excursion in port).

We almost always spend a few days at WDW prior to cruising. When I'd ask our DS which he liked better - parks or cruise - he couldn't answer because they are different. Now that he's older (15) he prefers the cruise but still enjoys the parks.

Similar -- both have characters but the lines on DCL are much shorter.

Similar -- both have Disney music playing in the background.

Similar -- both have outstanding service.

Similar -- Victoria & Albert at WDW; Remy on the Fantasy and the Dream. Remy is a better deal.

Different -- on the ships you can eat eat eat all day/night without worrying about if you have enough snack or table-service credits to cover your "free" dining.

Different -- staterooms in DCL are much smaller than any WDW or DLR hotels. Pools on the ship are much more crowded too.

Different -- On the ships you wake up in a different country. WDW and DLR tend to stay put.

Different -- the parks have thrill rides. On the ships, not so much, unless you get caught in a hurricane.

Different -- the WDW and DLR hotels have free WiFi. On the ships, you pay through the nose; plus the speed of the 'Net is much slower.

Different--On the ships children come first in the MDR. In WDW the women's order is taken first in a restaurant. This happened after a cruise when staying at AKL. The kids were shocked that they had to wait while their Grandmother ave her order.:rotfl2:

Same--CMs, whether they are sweeping popcorn in WDW or polishing rails on DCL will always stop what they are doing to answer a question or give directions.:goodvibes

simular
I would think that the cost we be about the same, or DCL might come in a little cheaper. Besides the gate fees, you have food cost, and lodging cost.
Great customer service
fireworks
great photo opportunities
you can wear shorts in most eating places
disney characters
designated smoking areas
excellent entertainment/shows

different
DCL you get welcomed about by your family name, not at the parks
most of the food on board has no additional cost, you pay for all the food in the parks
a lot of rides at the parks, only the aquaduck on the two new ships
ship is open 24-7, parks have set operating hours
cruise ship has semi-formal and formal nights on SOME cruises
safety drill on the cruise, not in the parks
WDW and DL have parades, DCL does not
DCL has deck parties, the parks do not
Pirate Night on the Cruise
free soda and coffee on the cruise (designated location)
eat in a different countries while on vacation (Epcot and on the cruise)
first run Disney movies on the cruise
creating your own plan at the parks, letting DCL schedule your day for you (pretty much)

just a few, I will try to think of some more

Similar to WDW, DCL offers-
Attention to detail in theming and service.
Characters and the Disney feel.
Comfort zone of the Disney quality.
Music movies and the feeling of being surrounded by the Magic like staying on property.
Stage shows that have that classic Disney feel.

Different than WDW, DCL offers-
Often can find off times each day to experience the Magic in an uncrowded environment on the ships (you can't roam WDW taking pictures at 5am.)
You actually get to go to other countries (instead of just feeling like you've left the country.)
Castaway Cay aka the ultimate beach vacation.
You're never more than five minutes from your room when you're on ship.
Free Mickey bars.
Free children's clubs age 3 and potty trained and up.
"All inclusive" environment.
Beautiful ocean views.
One on one magical moments in a more relaxed environment.
All the pizza, soda and ice cream you can eat.
Air conditioning and far less humidity than central Florida (in my experience)
The opportunity to get to know your same serving team cast members daily throughout your cruise. This means I explain my kids allergy information with less repetition.

To get a good deal (price) on DCL, I need to book as far ahead as possible (I booked our October 2013 cruise in October 2011).

To get a good deal (price) at WDW, I need to wait until a few months out to see what deal/special offer public rate they come out with.

The same - The cost --> Disney checks your bank accounts and surprisingly enough, that's how much your vacation on land or sea will cost.

Different: the beds at "most" Disney resorts (value and moderate at least) are double size beds. On the ship --> king size

Different: at sea most of the crew are from outside the USA, at the parks - they are mostly from the states.

Different: Fireworks: on land, Disney is at the mercy of the wind (might be a bigger factor in LA), at sea they can position and set the speed of the ship correctly to safely shoot off the fireworks most of the time.

Same: Can't "do it all" on land or sea without A LOT OF TIME!!! ie: multiple weeks at the parks and many b2b cruises.

The same - The cost --> Disney checks your bank accounts and surprisingly enough, that's how much your vacation on land or sea will cost.

This is tooo funny!!! (Although it seems eerily true!):rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2::lmao:

Different--On the ships children come first in the MDR. In WDW the women's order is taken first in a restaurant. This happened after a cruise when staying at AKL. The kids were shocked that they had to wait while their Grandmother ave her order.:rotfl2:

That wasn't our experience on the cruise. And it kept frustrating the server that I didn't want to order first as he wanted me to do.

But then again, we didn't realize that we were supposed to let him know that we wanted DS to go to the kid's club during dinner (second seating), so it was all messed up. Worked out, it was lovely to have DS with us for all of dinner, but I know he would have liked more kid's club time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter