Sickness on RC

Oh man its that time of year again. Good reminder for all cruising wash those hands constantly.......
We were on the infamous Disney cruise back in 2002 that was affected by Norovirus. We felt lucky we got off without any of us being ill, then bam 48 hours later our 10 yr old son got it.......

Norovirus is notorious for both living on surfaces for a very long time and incubating in people for up to 48 hours. It's very hard not to catch when those around you already have it.

Lost three days to it in February on the Fantasy. Then my wife lost two days. And we are both fastidious about washing hands, using hand sanitizer, using the sanitizer wipes to handle buffet utensils, etc.

Was quarantined on Oasis for 24 hours last week (somebody on our hall had it badly, because we could smell the vomit in the halls). RCCL gave me a discount on our next cruise equivalent to that 24 hours, which I found to be a very nice gesture.

This is a big concern of mine.

Does it happen often?? I fear getting sick and ruining my trip.

I think that Royal is doing the best they can under difficult circumstances. I applaud them them coming back early to make sure the ship is fit for the next group and refunding everyone for the cruise.

Lost three days to it in February on the Fantasy. Then my wife lost two days. And we are both fastidious about washing hands, using hand sanitizer, using the sanitizer wipes to handle buffet utensils, etc.

Was quarantined on Oasis for 24 hours last week (somebody on our hall had it badly, because we could smell the vomit in the halls). RCCL gave me a discount on our next cruise equivalent to that 24 hours, which I found to be a very nice gesture.

You were quarantined because someone on the same deck had it? I would have been PISSED OFF!

Our only incident was back in 02, I hate even talking about it since we're cruising 14 days next month.
But it can happen at any time, this time of year (winter) is when you hear about it most, IMO.
We are constantly washing our hands and using hand sanitizer in hopes of not getting anything.
I get a prescription of Zofran before we sail which is for nausea and vomiting in case. I can deal with anything but vomiting, especially when I'm not in my own home and bathroom.
I bring Lysol for the room and give it a good spray when we arrive.

It happens everywhere. It is a requirement by the CDC for any organization to report Norovirus when a certain percentage of people are affected by it. Because a cruise ship is contained they can actually calculate who has Norovirus and then they are required to report it once they reach a certain percentage of passengers. You are much more likely, I think I read 35%, to get norovirus from schools, malls or other public locations, but those organizations don't track who has norovirus since people don't know where they got it while on land. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recorded just 10 outbreaks of gastrointestinal illness on cruise ships in 2018 – the second lowest level since 2001. That means only 10 sailings were affected out of the thousands that occur every year.

I have Zofran. I will do the same!! Thank you!

Our only incident was back in 02, I hate even talking about it since we're cruising 14 days next month.
But it can happen at any time, this time of year (winter) is when you hear about it most, IMO.
We are constantly washing our hands and using hand sanitizer in hopes of not getting anything.
I get a prescription of Zofran before we sail which is for nausea and vomiting in case. I can deal with anything but vomiting, especially when I'm not in my own home and bathroom.
I bring Lysol for the room and give it a good spray when we arrive.

Our friends sailed on the Oasis last week for their honeymoon. So thankful they did not get sick or were not on this week's sailing. I feel badly for everyone affected. UGH

You were quarantined because someone on the same deck had it? I would have been PISSED OFF!
No. I had a stomach issue that didn't have all (read: didn't have most of) the symptoms of AGE, but they quarantined me just in case since I went to the infirmary like you're supposed to when you're not feeling well.

Our friends sailed on the Oasis last week for their honeymoon. So thankful they did not get sick or were not on this week's sailing. I feel badly for everyone affected. UGH

We were on that sailing with them. There were a ton of honeymooners!

We were on that sailing with them. There were a ton of honeymooners!

Congratulations! They had bad luck on the way to Orlando with a mechanical that resulted in them getting to Orlando one day later than planned, but the rest of their honeymoon/cruise was FAB. Hope for you, too!

I honestly think it’s also just the time of year. I seem to notice over the years that so many people fall out sick right after the new year. I wonder people just relax and chill over the holidays and everything breaks loose then. I commute by train I noticed yesterday that half the train was sneezing and coughing was very disgusting wish people would just simply stay home if they were sick. My boss and our intern are both home this week with the flu too.

My son and I, who have had noro while at home, said "that's a whole lot of people who didn't wash their hands before putting hands to their mouths"... We are pretty hardnosed about noro being something adults and most children can control getting. We got it because we had lousy hand washing habits before meals (as in we'll go to the store then come home and eat without washing...we do wash after bathroom visits LOL) AND we both tend to bite our nails. Bad bad combo. Totally OUR faults we got it.

Of course it does. Have you not noticed the number of people just in your town staying home sick and posting on FB about the "stomach flu" they got? No such thing as "stomach flu"; it's noro or similar. Just scrolling through my FB feed shows me that noro is all around.

I have Zofran. I will do the same!! Thank you!

OK, having read up on noro (while my son was dealing with it and waiting to see when I'd get it), you do NOT want to suppress that stuff coming out. You want it OUT of your body. The virus is intriguing...it actually slows down digestion as it's incubating for a day or so, so as to have more effect and potentially live on in more people when it comes out. And that is exactly what happened with both my son and I. For a day or two things were very sluggish, and then whammo.

When I've got a virus in my belly, I'm not going to stop it from coming out. Yuck.

No. I had a stomach issue that didn't have all (read: didn't have most of) the symptoms of AGE, but they quarantined me just in case since I went to the infirmary like you're supposed to when you're not feeling well.

It's good you were quarantined, as you could easily have had it. You did the right thing and they did the right thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!