Sick time

We get 10 paid sick days a year. After that, they start taking a % off our yearly bonus. I've taken 1 day so far this year and that was when I had Covid. Working from home really diminishes the need for sick days for me.

Three days, and I only learned this when I had been there about three years. It’s hidden on our HR website, and it’s not published in benefits or talked about during orientation. They hype up flex time so you can make up time for days you’re out sick, so I had assumed that was it.

If you’re out more than three days in a row, they put you on short-term disability.

the family medical leave act. if approved a person can get 12 weeks per year of time off for their own or a family member's medical issues. it can be used in whole all at once or part. if an employer has a strict attendance policy it can protect an employee who needs to take off long or short periodic periods of time off.
we have long term disability with our employer.

We get 10 paid sick days a year. After that, they start taking a % off our yearly bonus. I've taken 1 day so far this year and that was when I had Covid. Working from home really diminishes the need for sick days for me.
That sounds like a fair plan -probably keeps sick time down significantly. My Company offers 7 Sick/Personal Days and this one guy is way beyond that and his 4-weeks vacation. Company doesn't dock him at all -which is unfair to everyone else in my opinion.

They have more than enough sick time to cover it. Work for basically a government institution which is very generous with sick time. Just starting to feel like people around me are abusing it and the supervisor is saying zilch about it. It's more that I have to keep covering people with no real acknowledgement for doing so that annoys me.
If they have the time allotted to them, I'm not sure what can be done.

I take every sick day I need to, which can vary between some or all of my allotted. I’ve never seen a gravestone that had “never took a sick day” on it. I work my butt off when I’m at work, but I’d never be proud of being the best worker slave.
I do too! Plus we can work from home if not feeling up to coming in - or if have cold symptoms.
But I just haven't been sick and don't feel like lying about it.

Normally, a couple days a year, mostly just for doctors check ups or to take a family member for an appointment. We can use our sick time to help care for family.

We get paid out a portion of our sick time (I think it’s up to 6 weeks) at time of retirement so many people will stockpile it, at least up to the limit.

As others have mentioned, work from home has definitely changed this somewhat. There have been days when I didn’t feel great, so I’d end up working from home instead of calling in sick. Our employer definitely doesn’t want you in office if there’s even a remote chance you might have Covid.

If they have the time allotted to them, I'm not sure what can be done.
I agree for the most part.
But at what point does our supervisor not bring in the attendance review? We do have a policy on this. I think this is what irritates me - the supervisor not the workers. Supervisor says nada - just "feel better".

And it is totally my issue but I wish the fact that I was covering for everyone was acknowledged. It's for sure coming up in my annual review!

In 20 years, I've probably taken 5 sick days. But I've been generally very healthy--though pre-covid, I would work through colds and other viruses, and I won't anymore. Plus my job allows them to rollover and they become part of our pension calculation when we retire, so I have good incentive to not take them. That said, I also know my health could change in a moment, and I'd possibly need that time. God only knows what's going on in another's life.

If we call in sick, we have to use PTO, we're not allowed to use our Sick hours unless we contract COVID or are down with something serious. I just checked, I have 355 hours of SICK time available to me that I can never use unless it's serious.

We used to have 6 sick days in addition to whatever regular PTO we had (based on how long we've been with company). A few years ago, they combined the 6 days into the PTO pool and you use it for whatever you need. We have short term disability and long term disability for longer term absences due to health. Days used here and there come from your PTO pool.

During COVID, people originally had unlimited sick time if unable to work due to HAVING COVID. We've returned to our regular policies now, but we've got 5 COVID "relief" days if we need to use it for COVID or personal issues due to COVID (lack of child care, etc)

Having said all this, I always think of 3 things when I start to get distracted by others' usage of "sick" time. 1) I had a friend who was battling cancer and not required to reveal that in job interviews and she needed a day each month to attend Drs visits, etc. 2) I'm happy I'm healthy enough to work and do not need periodic, planned or unplanned, days off to manage my health. 3) I have my own professional standards that have served me well in my 35+ year career and I'm proud of that. I'm glad I don't have to worry about what people think of my work ethic. I've never had a manager that didn't take note of this.

It stinks, but it's a lot easier if I just don't focus on it and take the stance that I'm paid to work and that's what I'm going to do, anything else is not my business (or responsibility).

It’s generally too hard to take a day off very often when you’re a teacher. It’s a pain to make day plans and get a supply at the best of times, so many of us suck it up and go in, even if we’re not feeling great. But this past year has been a bit of a nightmare at work with Covid rules and restrictions and we’ve been so short staffed. Everyone has taken way more sick time then normal. I hope this upcoming year is better.
I had to check your location, “supply” is such an Ontario term, love it! That’s my job, newly returned so I’m still getting into the swing of it. But eventually, I want to be able to tell teachers not to plan too much and have some things up my own sleeve! Oh and west of Toronto here :)

I had to check your location, “supply” is such an Ontario term, love it! That’s my job, newly returned so I’m still getting into the swing of it. But eventually, I want to be able to tell teachers not to plan too much and have some things up my own sleeve! Oh and west of Toronto here :)
You are my type of supply! :)

Too bad you’re west of me. Most of the retired teachers who came back to occasionally supply, officially left once Covid hit.

Here in Germany there is no such thing as allotted sick days. If you are sick and you have a doctors note to verify that, it’s unlimited up to six weeks for the same illness. After six weeks for the same illness I believe disability kicks in. You’re still guaranteed your job. I think legally it takes a good year or two of actually being severely ill before a company can let you go. Worst case I believe you 60% of your pay as disability. “Sick” pay within those six weeks is your normal pay.
what I also find interesting is that you’re sick that note you give to your employer does not list what you have. it’s illegal for your boss to ask why you are sick. They just need to know that you are verified through a health professional that you are sick. Of course most people have a normal relationship with their bosses and communicate anyways what’s going on.

When I worked back in the states I worked for a great company too that was very generous. You accumulated 1 sick day per month that you could also roll over into the next year and next I honestly don’t recall there being a cap. . When they left the company I cashed in on that and got basically a month and a half salary. I know many women would use that time for their maternity leave, Where they had enough banked so the first six weeks or so after birth for them paid by cashing in. That was the old contract now things aren’t as great but still good. I do know they separate vacation and sick leave.

I rarely take a sick day. I’m a teacher and it’s too much work to take a day off. I get 10 sick days a year and they accumulate. I have over 90+ days, but I’d rather be at work then plan to to not be there and then deal with everything when I return.

But at what point does our supervisor not bring in the attendance review? We do have a policy on this. I think this is what irritates me - the supervisor not the workers. Supervisor says nada - just "feel better".

And it is totally my issue but I wish the fact that I was covering for everyone was acknowledged. It's for sure coming up in my annual review!
What's the policy? Is the policy being followed? Again, 16 days over 7 1/2 months is ~2 days/month. While higher than "normal", I don't know that it's drastically high.

I typically take 1 sick day per year whether i am sick or not. I haven't taken 1 this year yet.

I do know some who use all they get and that doesn't really bother me. We get 5 per year and can bank up to 3 weeks.. so i always have 3 weeks of sick time in the bank if i ever have an extended illness.. (knock on wood). I work from home and have for about 7 years now so calling in sick is not that much of a benefit to me.. Even still, every one in my department works from home and we still have folks calling in sick weekly...

At my company we get 6 PTO days a year (vacation days that expire end of year), vacation time that varies depending on your years of service, and "sick time". We're never expected to use sick time to go to a doctor's appointment (we just try to schedule around lunch, beginning of day, end of day so to not miss important meetings). I've used 3 sick days this year, one after getting COVID on vacation and feeling too crappy to work, and 2 for being hospitalized. I have had some low level illnesses and I just do WFH without using sick days. Our sick time isn't designated somewhere but it's known that if you're "sick" more than 5 days a year people might start questioning, and if you're sick for 5 days in a row you need to go on STD. I think it's a pretty good system.
To me 16 sick days in a year seems like a lot unless they are using sick days to take care of sick family members.

In an ideal world, it's noted in some way in their annual review. If nothing else, they shouldn't likely be getting top marks, I would think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter