Sick Cat

She's adorable! I wanted a tortie when we started our kitten hunt this summer, but fate took us another direction. I hope she's feeling better soon. So glad she has you on the case!

She's a great cat. I got her from the Humane Society, and she had her tail amputated, so she has a little nub and a titanium plate in her hip. I don't really know how that happened, but my vet says someone at the Humane Society went through a lot of time and money on her - I guess that is what they do! I was pretty much in love with her as soon as I saw her.

She's a great cat. I got her from the Humane Society, and she had her tail amputated, so she has a little nub and a titanium plate in her hip. I don't really know how that happened, but my vet says someone at the Humane Society went through a lot of time and money on her - I guess that is what they do! I was pretty much in love with her as soon as I saw her.
What a lucky cat to have found so many caring people to take such great care of her. I'll pray she gets past this and you have many great years together still. Our calico lived to just shy of 20 years old. They really do become members of our families.

I had a cat that came down with Fatty Liver Syndrome and I had to feed her nothing but baby food for 2 months straight (BTW, she recovered and lived another 14 years).

Anyway, in terms of straight meat products, Gerber sells Chicken, Turkey, Beef and Ham (all labeled as "with gravy", and they come in glass jars). The leanest is actually the Beef, and the Chicken has the most fat, at 20%. (That's important to know when dealing with fatty liver, but may not be for your cat's issue.) They are all pretty low in sodium, but your vet may advise one type over the others. My vet had me give the straight meat formulas only, nothing with veggie mix-ins. What I found is that I had to give it by syringe for the first week or so, then she got to the point of eating it on her own from a dish, but my cat was VERY ill, and yours doesn't sound quite so off her feed.

The absolute best way to get this paste food (esp. w/ liquid med) into a refusing cat, IME, is a dental irrigation syringe w/ a curved tip. Cut the tip off a bit further in (maybe 1/4") to make the hole larger , and file it down a bit to make sure there is no sharp edge on the tip, and put the goop into the syringe. Then sit on the floor with your legs straight out and wrap the cat in a LARGE towel so that only her head is sticking out, then put a second towel on top of that one and sit on the ends to hold it down. It's harder for a cat to get away by jumping up/forward than by backing up and twisting down, so back her (in her towel burrito) in between your legs so she can't back away from you, and hold her head with your thumb and index finger right behind the jaw, like the vet does. That way you have the best shot of using your other hand to get the tip of the syringe into the corner of her mouth. Squirt a bit, then set the syringe down, close her mouth and softly massage her throat to make her swallow it. (If it comes to this, best of luck; because there are few chores more difficult than getting a cat to swallow a liquid substance that it does not want.)

I had a cat that came down with Fatty Liver Syndrome and I had to feed her nothing but baby food for 2 months straight (BTW, she recovered and lived another 14 years).

Anyway, in terms of straight meat products, Gerber sells Chicken, Turkey, Beef and Ham (all labeled as "with gravy", and they come in glass jars). The leanest is actually the Beef, and the Chicken has the most fat, at 20%. (That's important to know when dealing with fatty liver, but may not be for your cat's issue.) They are all pretty low in sodium, but your vet may advise one type over the others. My vet had me give the straight meat formulas only, nothing with veggie mix-ins. What I found is that I had to give it by syringe for the first week or so, then she got to the point of eating it on her own from a dish, but my cat was VERY ill, and yours doesn't sound quite so off her feed.

The absolute best way to get this paste food (esp. w/ liquid med) into a refusing cat, IME, is a dental irrigation syringe w/ a curved tip. Cut the tip off a bit further in (maybe 1/4") to make the hole larger , and file it down a bit to make sure there is no sharp edge on the tip, and put the goop into the syringe. Then sit on the floor with your legs straight out and wrap the cat in a LARGE towel so that only her head is sticking out, then put a second towel on top of that one and sit on the ends to hold it down. It's harder for a cat to get away by jumping up/forward than by backing up and twisting down, so back her (in her towel burrito) in between your legs so she can't back away from you, and hold her head with your thumb and index finger right behind the jaw, like the vet does. That way you have the best shot of using your other hand to get the tip of the syringe into the corner of her mouth. Squirt a bit, then set the syringe down, close her mouth and softly massage her throat to make her swallow it. (If it comes to this, best of luck; because there are few chores more difficult than getting a cat to swallow a liquid substance that it does not want.)

Thanks for the tips! Just to be clear, my cat is not very sick, just a little off. I am being super cautious and getting all the tests, etc, but she is definitely still eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping. She ate a good bit of her usual wet-food dinner tonight. She's not 100% food averse, but I have noticed a change for sure. I do appreciate all of the great advise - we just have to see how it goes.

Gerber baby food is my go-to brand for being onion-free and having a smoother texture that seems to be better received by picky eaters, but it’s really a case of any will do...
We use Gerber Stages (stage 2, I think) -- no onion or garlic in the ingredients. We mix it with some warm water to make a "soup" to help with hydration. That's our litmus test to tell whether the cat is really sick or being dramatic. She LOVES her baby food soup, so if she refuses it, then it's time for a visit with Auntie Vet.

Another option to tempt an off appetite might be canned kitten food (again, mixed with some warm water). Our kitty's favorite is Wellness Kitten Food (chicken). It is super smooth, has more calories, is easy to digest, and (judging by her reaction to it) clearly tastes great.

Hope your kitty is feeling better soon!

Thanks, everyone. For some additional detail, she is 10 years old, so not young but not too old either, and an indoor only cat. This started a few weeks ago, but the eating thing only really started after the vet visits when she got the first type of antibiotics. I did switch to a different flavor of dry food and tried a can of tuna and a few other different packets of things. She hadn't been super interested. She will eat treats, but sometimes leaves them for a while - she does come by and crunch some dry food ocassionally, but generally not much, excepting this past Saturday after her return from the vet when they had sedated her to check her teeth.

I do have anti-nausea medicine that I can give orally by syringe, but man, that is tough and I don't want to traumatize her any further. She was NOT happy about three vet visits so close together!
What is she on the antibiotics for?

But he sedated her Saturday?

I do agree it’s important to keep her hydrated.
Absolutely! This was my first thought. I'd try a little bone broth. You can feed using an dropper if necessary. It can encourage her to eat. I will also shred baked chicken and sometimes add a bit of rice to feed an ailing furbaby. Two of my kitties are geriatric...14 & 18 and need a little extra TLC.

Last edited:
What is she on the antibiotics for?

Honestly, I am not sure. I believe it was precautionary - he didn't see an abcessed tooth or anything, however he said it might not be visible.

She seemed a bit better last night, but not this morning. I wonder if it comes and goes based on time of day. I just don't know. I think I will try to get her to take some anti-nausea medicine. She's gonna be unhappy about it though!

Honestly, I am not sure. I believe it was precautionary - he didn't see an abcessed tooth or anything, however he said it might not be visible.

She seemed a bit better last night, but not this morning. I wonder if it comes and goes based on time of day. I just don't know. I think I will try to get her to take some anti-nausea medicine. She's gonna be unhappy about it though!
May I ask - why? I understand wanting to do ‘something”, but sometimes doing nothing is the better way. She’s had an awful lot of medication already, and nothing has really helped all that much. You don’t know what’s causing her to not be herself because she can’t tell you. It may not be nausea. And her body may be working hard to heal itself after all she’s been through lately. Fluids are important, and can’t harm her. That medicine will make her sleepy, and take time to clear out of her body at a time she’s already working to do that. Consider holding off. JMO.

May I ask - why? I understand wanting to do ‘something”, but sometimes doing nothing is the better way. She’s had an awful lot of medication already, and nothing has really helped all that much. You don’t know what’s causing her to not be herself because she can’t tell you. It may not be nausea. And her body may be working hard to heal itself after all she’s been through lately. Fluids are important, and can’t harm her. That medicine will make her sleepy, and take time to clear out of her body at a time she’s already working to do that. Consider holding off. JMO.

Well, I just know she seemed much betteer when she first got home from the vet and had been given an anti-nausea shot. Tha tonly lasts a day or so though and she backslid soon after. The vet said I could give her the anti-nausea medicine if needed. I honestly don't know what to do.

I did run out and get some baby food. I know nothing of baby food, but man, that stuff stinks! That can't be fit for human consumption. Do Babies eat that? I got Gerber chicken and a turneky that I didn't open yet. The cat is not interested, but she ate most of the tuna I put down while I was gone.

She doesn't seem too good this monrig, so I just don't know what to do. 😓

Last edited:
I had an awful experience with my 13 year old not eating. I tried everything like you have. Then it came down to her teeth and we had the bad ones pulled. She did not improve after that and after more tests we found a tumor. This was last year and every time I think of her I still cry at her loss. I have her daughter now and her blood tests keep coming back with a high blood cell count. She has had teeth pulled as well. After $ 400.00 worth of blood work that keeps coming back bad, the vet said it might be cancer and there's nothing we can do. She seems fine. She's doing all the normal cat stuff. I'm just hoping she has another good few years. It's just so awful when you don't know what's wrong. I hope your kitty picks up soon.

A
Well, I just know she seemed much betteer when she first got home from the vet and had been given an anti-nausea shot. Tha tonly lasts a day or so though and she backslid soon after. The vet said I could give her the anti-nausea medicine if needed. I honestly don't know what to do.

I did run out and get some baby food. I know nothing of baby food, but man, that stuff stinks! That can't be fit for human consumption. Do Babies eat that? I got Gerber chicken and a turneky that I didn't open yet. The cat is not interested, but she ate most of the tuna I put down while I was gone.

She doesn't seem too good this monrig, so I just don't know waht to do. 😓

Are you sure she hasn’t ingested a toxin? Cats are very good at hiding illnesses until they are very sick.She’s had steroids, antibiotics plus blood tests have ruled our anemia, cancer…no teeth issues, etc? I would definitely make sure she has plenty of fluids. Otherwise kidneys can shut down and that’s a whole other problem. I would definitely ask your vet about giving her IV fluids. Sometimes that gets them back where they need to be.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
I had an awful experience with my 13 year old not eating. I tried everything like you have. Then it came down to her teeth and we had the bad ones pulled. She did not improve after that and after more tests we found a tumor. This was last year and every time I think of her I still cry at her loss. I have her daughter now and her blood tests keep coming back with a high blood cell count. She has had teeth pulled as well. After $ 400.00 worth of blood work that keeps coming back bad, the vet said it might be cancer and there's nothing we can do. She seems fine. She's doing all the normal cat stuff. I'm just hoping she has another good few years. It's just so awful when you don't know what's wrong. I hope your kitty picks up soon.

Thanks. Wouldn't a tumor have popped up ont he blood work. I had the comprehensive panel done, plus X-rays. It's really quite baffling.

A

Are you sure she hasn’t ingested a toxin? Cats are very good at hiding illnesses until they are very sick.She’s had steroids, antibiotics plus blood tests have ruled our anemia, cancer…no teeth issues, etc? I would definitely make sure she has plenty of fluids. Otherwise kidneys can shut down and that’s a while other problem.

Well, she does seem to be drinking/peeing well enough. I can't imagine what toxin she could have gotten into. She is an indoor only cat.

I am trying to remember exactly how she was behaving before her first trip. I know she was off a bit and somewhat lethargic, but I feel like she had been eating before getting her initial shots, etc. Eating wasn't a big concern on that first trip. I am keeping a journal now, but I wish I had done so beforehand.

Thanks. Wouldn't a tumor have popped up ont he blood work. I had the comprehensive panel done, plus X-rays. It's really quite baffling.

Well, she does seem to be drinking/peeing well enough. I can't imagine what toxin she could have gotten into. She is an indoor only cat.

I am trying to remember exactly how she was behaving before her first trip. I know she was off a bit and somewhat lethargic, but I feel like she had been eating before getting her initial shots, etc. Eating wasn't a big concern on that first trip. I am keeping a journal now, but I wish I had done so beforehand.
Best wishes for a good outcome. We have a menagerie—-basically a “pet farm”. Otherwise known as “yard ornaments”. A diary is a good idea but don’t be afraid to act on your instincts. Not everything goes by the book..Watch her behavior and symptoms closely. Again cats especially have the ability to hide a serious illness and can deteriorate quickly. Follow your gut. You know your fur baby better than anyone else!

Actually peeing a lot is not a good sign. Not trying to scare you, just pointing out that kidney failure manifests itself as excessive thirst and a lot of peeing. Bloodwork would have shown that though.

Best wishes for a good outcome. We have a menagerie—-basically a “pet farm”. Otherwise know as “yard ornaments”. A diary is a good idea but don’t be afraid to act on your instincts. Not everything goes by the book..watch behavior and symptoms. Again cats especially have the ability to hide a serious illness and can deteriorate quickly. Follow your gut. You know your fur baby better than anyone else!
I had a vet tell me that. He said cats don’t malinger. When they show symptoms they are really sick.

Actually peeing a lot is not a good sign. Not trying to scare you, just pointing out that kidney failure manifests itself as excessive thirst and a lot of peeing. Bloodwork would have shown that though.

No, it's not excessive - it's about normal really, or maybe slightly reduced. She does drink though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter