Shuttergirl taking on the US hehe - NOW WITH some PHOTOS See Post 1 for links

Now admittedly we didn't go to sleep until just after midnight but the great news is I didn't wake up until 6.15am, :cool1::cool1::cool1:. I only normally sleep 6-7 hours so this is good news. DH has just woken at 7am and kids are still asleep.

I am over the moon:cool1::cool1:

Today we are thinking of doing the Harbour cruise the Aussietravellers did for the morning and then it's off to the Yankees game tonight.

I'm so excited and jealous that you ate at Les Halles! The decor and food sounded amazing!

The air conditioning was a problem for me too in May. This is how I ended up getting sick. I was absolutely shivering cold in the buildings...all that air conditioned buildings/rides and then out into the hot humid sun.

Hope you and the entire family have a decent night's sleep from now on.

I'm glad somebody else had problems with the aircon. I am going to have to start carrying a jacket to put on inside as it is really affecting me. We actually run outside into the 30+ heat to escape as we just shiver and our teeth chatter. Now I live in the tropics so a 30+ day is nothing new to me and I LOVE aircon, but we keep ours on like 24 or 22, not 14 or 16. It's just way way too cold and yes, going from the humid heat into this absolutely freezing temps all day is not good for you, but hey, we are at Disney so apart from that it's all good :lmao:

I told my husband you mentioned the air conditioning problem, he's excited because he loves being cold :lmao:.

Sorry to hear you've been feeling unwell, that is awful news. I hope you get up tomorrow feeling alot better lovely lady.

Well your DH will LOVE it here as they have it set on like 14 or 16 degrees (that's what it feels like, no it actually feels like about 8 degrees :rotfl2:), it is serioulsy FREEZING.... It's going from the extreme heat outside to the extreme freezing inside. We have set the aircon in our room on 23 and it is perfect. We walk into the hall and start shivering and powerwalk to the front doors to get outside and out of the cold :rotfl2:

Your day yesterday sounds fantastic! Crazy, take the longest route taxi drivers aside :rotfl2: The wrestling sounded exciting as did Mama Mia, I'd have loved to have seen a show but just didn't get around to it. I too felt safe walking around in NY. I was imagining scenes from CSI NY :eek: was very nervous, but never felt unsafe once there.

Sorry you've had another early morning, here's hoping that you all sleep later tomorrow :wizard:

YAY for a sleep during normal bedtime hours, whatever timezone you are in!

Shuttergirl - that sounds like you and the family might be heading towards no jetlag land! :thumbsup2

Enjoy your day.

So it's 8.30am here now and the kids are still asleep. DH played on the computer for a while and he has now crawled back to bed :lmao:

I've showered and done make up but can't get dressed or do anything because I really don't want to wake anyone.

I think we will go to the Amer Museum of Nat History today now that way we don't have any time constraints. We can do Harbour cruise tomorrow.

Sleep well my little babies.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh

I bet you're all :hyper: and ready to go!

Enjoy getting everyone back into the local timezone. And then you can really hit the sightseeing without worrying about being tired.

Shhhhhhh. Are you thinking of getting back to sleep yourself?

Well as I mentioned above, the kidlets slept in until 9am which we were thrilled about. After some discussion and more lounging around we decided shopping was the order of the day (DH driving that idea for sure :lmao:) so we headed out for brekky at this place on 6th avenue that we have been to twice now called Europa, really cheap brekky's, $3.95 for an egg and bag roll or $4.69 for a full cooked breakfast, can't go past that.

We hit up Macy's again because we wanted to exchange a few things for larger sizes and of course couldn't go there and not buy a ton more stuff for the kids :rotfl2:. We then headed to JC Penney's which has similar brands to Macy's but maybe a bit less nice. Poor DS8, he really detests shopping and even though most of what we were buying was for him, he was starting to get tired which is perfectly understandable. We then had to walk back with all of our haul and it's 20 blocks, so that was 40 for the morning. Personally I would just jump a cab to save my feet but DH is not keen on those cabs :confused3.

I think our shopping tally is looking something like this but I'm sure I've forgotten something:-

DD12
7 tops, mostly Guess brand, loved everything of theirs
3 tshirts
1 pair guess jeans which look amazing
1 gap jacket
1 cardigan
1 pair Nike air force ones with gold stars, v cute
souvies
pink yankees baseball (lord help me)
2 handbags
let's not forget the biggest bag of M&Ms known to man
3 Nintendo DS games

DS8
2 pairs levi jeans
2 belts
8 t shirts, various brands like Nike, Quiksilver, etc
1pair All stars sneakers
1 jacket
1 tommy hillfiger shirt
3 wrestling tshirts (dont' ask) :laughing:
1 Yankees tshirt
2 yankees baseballs
stuff Alvin and the chip munks
souvies
another big bag of M&Ms
his first pairs of Calvin Klein jocks, it was a moving moment of tradition handed down from father to son :lmao:
3 Nintendo DS games

DH
2 pairs levi jeans
2 belts
far too many pairs of CK jocks (the man is obsessed)
1 yankees tshirt
4 Espirit tshirts
1 Yankees hoodie

Me
$300 of Clinique cosmetics and that's all so far (until I hit the Christmas shop at Downtown Disney that is)

All of us
Our very own Muppet called Zucko

Nephews
Tons of Boston Celtics stuff
Yankees Baseballs

Whew, I feel a little :sick: now and may need to lie down. That's a ton of stuff when you write it all down. Packing is going to be interesting :rotfl2:

I'm a little terrified of our planned trip to the Orlando outlet mall now :eek:

When we got back from shopping we headed for the lounge bar at the hotel for a quick bite and I was keen for a couple of champagnes after all that walking and spending. DH and I had been going backwards and forwards all day about how we were going to get to and from the Yankees game. We were both not keen on the subway now we were in NY and while a cab there was not going to be a problem, a cab home was looking difficult with 50,000 other people possibly looking to do the same. We were thinking about hiring a car and driver to pick us up but then I got to talking with the waitress in the bar and she said we should definitely try the subway, gave us a few tips and so we thought we would nervously give it a go. DD12 was not happy, the subway did not sound fun to her at all.

We came back for a quick nap because it was going to be a very late night for the kids and headed to the subway which magically was just at the side of our hotel. DH felt sure that "dumber" people than us catch the subway everyday, surely we could work this out :rotfl2:. The lady at the counter was helpful, quick and just a little terse, just the way I like my New Yorkers :laughing:, we bought our Metro card and we were off down underground 2 flights of stairs. I had to block out all of those movies I had seen where things go wrong with the trains underground :lmao:. Subway came almost straight away, we followed other people with Yankees gear to be sure, it was fairly packed and we had to stand but we were at the stadium within 20 minutes and were happy we had made this choice.

Waiting for the subway (nervously LOL)
IMG_2762.jpg

The new Yankee Stadium is beautiful and enormous and like Grazing Goat just mentioned in his TR, very very well organised. We got through security very quickly and I was impressed with how thorough the search was. DH was even asked to lift up his top so they could check for guns :lmao:. We found our seats which were wonderful, we were up in the first tear but right behind 1st base so the view was great. We went and got some food, the kids got chips which were the worst chips ever!!!!!!!!! DH insisted that he and I had to get hotdogs, it was the baseball afterall, oh and a beer. Apparently you have to have both :laughing:. Oh and you may need a second mortgage on the house to pay for said food, wow. $11 for a beer, are you serious.

DH and DS are huge baseball fans since seeing San Fran Giants last year so they were able to explain the game to us. Frankly, I thought the best bit was the spectators. This was something to behold. Every single person was fully decked out in Yankees gear, everyone. They stand and sing Star Spangled Banner with their hands on their hearts and the live organ music was hilarious. Lots of music and ritual clapping and singing. The game was fairly uneventful for much of the time, that is until the 9th innings. A Rod (you know the dude that dates lovelies like Camerona Diaz and Kate Hudson) was batting and they were a run behind. There was a Yankee on 3rd base and ARod already had 2 strikes. I had my little point and shoot camera with me that takes video footage also so I thought well I might just record this last pitch in case he does something amazing. Well you guessed it, he hit a home run and the 50,000 fans erupted. My footage is awful because I am short and everyone was on their feet but it is a cool little memory we will now have. DS was beside himself with excitement. He loves any sport and had sat quietly watching intently through the whole 3 hours.

It looked like the Yankees had it in the bag so we left just before the end of the 9th innings, hoping to get a little jump on the crowds. Tons of people were leaving but we managed to jump straight onto a packed subway and head home. We thought the subway was very easy to use so we are going to catch it to the Amer Museum of Modern History today. When we got back to the hotel we switched on the tv to make sure of the result and the game was still going, had gone into a 10th innings and the Yankees and Red Sox had 3 runs each. Finally the Yankees got another run and the game was a victory. We now "bleed" Yankees and will be fans for life haha.

Best bit about the baseball though, the incredible slice of pepperoni pizza I had. So different from our pizza's, all soft and gooey and I love that psychologically you think you are only eating 1 slice but in reality it is the size of half a Dominos pizza :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:. I am so disappointed because I forgot to take a photo in my haste to shove that thing into my mouth:lmao:

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

A great 4th day that we all enjoyed.

The kids being silly before bed
IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

I like your shopping style! Glad the whole family managed to get some good sleep.

I am loving the live trip report - and hooray for all the shopping. But Shuttergirl I must say that I am disappointed in one thing - what about clothes for YOU??? You are the mum and you did a lot of organising for this trip, you should be spoiling yourself a little and getting some clothes too (although $300 of cosmetics is not too shabby :lmao: ).

Have fun!!!!

xxx

Hi Ms Shuttergirl, I am just loving reading your live trip report (and feel so privileged that you are sharing it with us)!

As you know, I'm inspired to look into adding a few days in NY onto our trip so have sent out a few emails requesting rates. OMG, hotels are expensive and it doesnt help that Sept/Oct is apparently high season :scared1:

Enjoy the rest of your trip and I look forward to reading more entries :thumbsup2

Oh what a fantastic live trip report!

I'm glad you rode the subway. DH and I are not public transport people here in Melbourne (too spaced out and unreliable) but we got the hang of the subway within a day and travelling all over NY on it. It is an amazing and very organised system!

Our highlight was trying to work out how to swipe the cards through the turnstile just as a train was arriving. To say we got ambushed by commuters coming straight through us was an understatement :laughing:. Was a very funny moment after they were all gone up the stairs within moments, the security guard was :lmao:.

Do some more shopping for yourself! Hope you packed a few extra suitcases :) .

I am loving the live trip report - and hooray for all the shopping. But Shuttergirl I must say that I am disappointed in one thing - what about clothes for YOU??? You are the mum and you did a lot of organising for this trip, you should be spoiling yourself a little and getting some clothes too (although $300 of cosmetics is not too shabby :lmao: ).

Have fun!!!!

xxx

To be honest, I don 't like shopping at the best of times, add 3 whiny kids, whoops, I mean 2 whiny kids and a DH into the mix and I'd rather pay full price in Oz and shop in peace and quiet :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I would however like to get a new bag, not sure I can bring myself to pay Coach prices but we will see.

I was wondering where all your shopping was too! The baseball looks like fun

Jade once I hit that Christmas shop at DD, you'll see some serious shopping :lmao:

Hi Ms Shuttergirl, I am just loving reading your live trip report (and feel so privileged that you are sharing it with us)!

As you know, I'm inspired to look into adding a few days in NY onto our trip so have sent out a few emails requesting rates. OMG, hotels are expensive and it doesnt help that Sept/Oct is apparently high season :scared1:

Enjoy the rest of your trip and I look forward to reading more entries :thumbsup2

Glad to hear you are thinking of inc. NY. I agree, it is pricey and location is key. You want to be near Times Square where the action is in my opinion. I'd double check with Ehsmum because she just stayed there but a reasonable place price wise is Radio City Apartments. I'll be trying them next time if I can get a room.

Oh what a fantastic live trip report!

I'm glad you rode the subway. DH and I are not public transport people here in Melbourne (too spaced out and unreliable) but we got the hang of the subway within a day and travelling all over NY on it. It is an amazing and very organised system!

Our highlight was trying to work out how to swipe the cards through the turnstile just as a train was arriving. To say we got ambushed by commuters coming straight through us was an understatement :laughing:. Was a very funny moment after they were all gone up the stairs within moments, the security guard was :lmao:.

Do some more shopping for yourself! Hope you packed a few extra suitcases :) .

Thanks for reading along. I can totally see how you could get stuck at those turnstiles if commuters came towards you :laughing:

Shuttergirl - Like everyone else, I'm loving the TR! Take the subway! :thumbsup2
You can tell your DH that I'm probably one of those "dumber" people than you that catch the subway (whenever I'm in NYC; not everyday). :rotfl2:

You might find Coach, Fossil and D&B at the warehouse outlets in Orlando.

I love the christmas shop at DTD. Good place to do some serious shopping. I also like the chocolate shop too.

I have a question about NY. Please tell me that you are glad you do not have a kid in a stroller! I would love to go to NY next year but our youngest will only be 2. I need convincing that it will be much easier to get around if we wait a couple of years.

Day 5 dawned with me up fairly early again at 6am but with the rest of the family sleeping until around 9am so that was good. We also woke up to pouring rain which meant our plans for visiting the Museum were going to fit perfectly.

The kids had some fruit in the room for brekky and we headed out to the subway by around 10.45. We found the subway easy to use again and agree that if we come to NY again, it will be a great way to get around. What a shame we were too nervous to embrace it earlier.

I was so excited about the museum as was my son who loves the Night at the Museum movie. This is where alarm bells should have rung for me though because it was never going to live up to the hype. First sad thing for me was the the facade was covered in tarps, oh dear. It is such a beautiful building and I was really looking forward to seeing it but I do understand that everything needs refurbishment from time to time (why not when I'm not there though haha). First up we ate brunch in the food hall because we were all starving. Nothing marvellous but warm and filling so I guess you have to be happy with that. DS has taken quite a liking to NY pizza, it seems to be the thing he is drawn to on every menu lately. I'm trying to keep salad up to him in between the nuggets, chips and pizza though :lmao:.

The first thing we did was the Journey to the Stars exhibit which aussietravellers had recommended. We all really enjoyed it, DD said it was similar to the Planetarium in Melbourne but the seats weren't as comfy, we all left with sore necks. It was beautifully done and the commentary by Whoopi Goldberg was great.

Then we headed around the museum. I could have strolled around all day but DH and the kids are easily bored and since there were no interactive exhibits they were getting fidgety. DS was a little disappointed not to see more elements from the movie but seeing the Easter Island Statue "dumb dumb" was his highlight.

I thought the dinosaur exhibit was great as I was blown away by how much my DS8 knew about them, their bones, whether they were from different periods in time, what they ate, which set of bones was which dinosaur etc. So for me, that was the highlight. I had not idea he had learned so much about them and I was astonished with all he knew. Made me very proud.

I loved the animal exhibits because seeing the sheer size of some of these beasts fascinated me.

DD12 was mortified to learn what taxidermy was and that the birds and animals were real, just stuffed. Her enthusiasm definitely waned after that :rotfl2:.

IMG_9530.jpg

IMG_9546.jpg

We decided to go back to our room at about 2.30 because it was still pouring. We just all vegged out doing our own thing, DS played on the computer, DD read, I pottered about with a little packing but then just laid on the bed for a rest, DH did what he does best, he slept.

The Kelly's "aussie-ing up" the Hilton Hotel

IMG_9411.jpg

Everyone eventually went off to sleep and we woke with a start at 5.30, got our shoes on and raced out the door for an early dinner. We had discussed going to a great italian pizzeria I had read about that is in an old church but the vote for Bubba Gumps was unanimous again so we did that. Whilst the food was still great, you shouldn't try to do a "do over" because it is never as good for some reason, plus I think we were all quite tired and not very hungry. DH and DS cleaned their plates but the girls left most of there's. We headed to Hershey's to grab some supplies for home and then headed back to the hotel where I began the mammoth task of packing for tomorrow. We had brought a spare case with us (one inside another) as well as a rolling duffel bag which we had to buy at Disneyland last year when we couldn't fit everything in. I was able to still keep the spare case empty but used the duffel for all of the dirty clothes. I desperately need to get to WDW tonight and do some washing. I still think it's a crappy way to spend our first evening there but alas clean clothes have to come first.

Feet update - since switching to open sandals as much as possible and giving the shoes and socks a rest where I can, along with many lotions and witchcraft hahaha, my feet are holding up well but the real test will be WDW with sooooooo much walking. The good news is my feet aren't aching at all and my sore calves from the first two days have gotten over the shock to their system with all the walking so I'm doing great.

New York Highlights and Observations:-

Smells - my least favourite thing about New York are all of the awful smells. DH said well it's a big city with alot of people, you need to expect it, and whilst I agree, my little nose has not enjoyed the "smell banquet" it's been taken on. Just walking 2 blocks you can smell 20 different unpleasant scents hahaha.

Police - well there is no shortage of police here. They are EVERYWHERE!!!! In Canberra, you rarely see a police officer on foot, in shops, near streets, never directing traffic, and maybe 1 or two police cars a day. Here in New York they are literally everywhere. I don't know what the ratio is but it feels like 1 cop for every 25 people. And where in Australia I get nervous if a police officer passes me by or if a police car pulls up next to me, not so here in New York. Everyone ignores them and continues breaking the rules hahaha. It's been very interesting to see.

Multicultural - I love that there are so many languages in the air. I doubt whether there is anywhere on earth that has so many people from different countries milling about like Times Square. I think it is wonderful and I love hearing all of the diff accents, seeing the different fashions, etc. And what is with all of the Aussies, they are everywhere. I guess the dollar doing so well combined with cheap flights are sending many of us on holiday.

Shopping - I will forever be in love with the cheap clothing and cheap make up. It's amazing to me. I was in a buying frenzy for the kids because some of the stuff was so cheap I just couldn't leave it on the shelves hahaha. And I don't mean inferior brands either, it was the quality brands at cheap prices that "had me at hello". My poor credit card will be limping back to Australia for a well earned rest.

City that never sleeps - I've really enjoyed that no matter what time of the day or night you are out and about, there is still so much going on. I think it would be hard to feel lonely in New York. I have never been in a city that feels like it has it's own heartbeat before. There is definitely something amazing about New York that is hard to describe.

Taxis - pretty much all I have to say is "yuk" and "everywhere".

Times Square - it feels like daytime there even at night because the lights are so bright. I love all the lights, they are amazing.

Sirens - I'm not sure whether it's because we are staying 2 blocks out of Times Square this time and more action happens here, but the amount of sirens that are constantly blaring is unbelievable. Be it police, fire or ambulance, I can hear them all the time. And how any of them would actually get through the traffic to save, arrest or squirt some water is beyond me.

Architecture - the beautiful and detailed architecture would have to be one of my favourite things. So many of the buildings are so old and intricate, they just simply don't make them like that anymore. What a shame I say.

Central Park - aside from the dogs, Central Park still is my fave place in New York. I find it wonderful that there is this enormous oasis right in the middle of this noisy fast paced city. I always get a little jolt when I am wandering along and look up and see all of those tall buildings around, it is amazingly peaceful in there. Bravo to the city planners who thought that out all of those years ago.

Walking - the kids have said that their least favourite thing about New York has been the walking :rotfl:. There has been alot of it and I guess in our little suburban life we don't have the need to walk so much. It's been good though, hopefully we are walking off all of those calories from all the yummy food.

Once again, we haven't seen and done as much as we would like - the Harbour cruise won't happen now because it is due to rain until we leave, we wanted to do a carriage ride through Central Park again because we loved it so much last time but when we were there the other morning they weren't running yet and now it's too wet (sob sob). We also didn't get out to Hoboken and the Cake Boss as well as look around New Jersey but it will have to wait for another time. We thoroughly enjoyed what we did do and I'm leaving with no regrets at all.

Well that was day 5, a much quieter day than the rest but well earned I would say. We are just packing tomorrow, going out for a nice lunch then a car is picking us up and we are heading to the airport at around 1.30. We fly out at 3.50, land in Orlando at 6.40, collect our luggage then jump on the Magical Express bus to WDW. Wow can't wait. We've decided to collect the luggage because we don't want any of it arriving after the kids go to bed and waking them up.

Wooohooo, Walt Disney World, here we come.

Great update. I'm hanging on my seat here reading and picturing you all in NYC going through the TR.

Have a safe travel to WDW and enjoy the laundry. :lmao:

I loved reading your highlights - what a great way to summarise your experiencees in NY! One thing I've started with my DD is walking training - of course she knows how to walk, at 8, but she won't walk a greta distance without whinging - I've told her she has to come out with me for walks if she's a chance of keeping up with us in DL (and I'm bribing her with $2 per walk LOL - she does kind of need the exercise as much as I do).

I'm glad you used the Subway, and that you enjoyed the baseball game. Shopping - well, I agree with the others - get out there and spend some more money on yourself! I hope you find the Coach bag you're looking for, at the right price :-)

I hope your trip to WDW is uneventful, and that you get to enjoy a little more than washing on your arrival! HAVE FUN!

Heidi, tell Jaymi we'll need to hire her a stroller if she can't keep up walking with us...or tell her I will make us all wear matching shirts! should get her going!

Well what a day this was. And I don't mean in a good way. It was kind of disastrous to be honest and I'm glad it is behind us.

First up, the day you are leaving to go to the next destination, leave early in the morning, don't try to drag out another half day because it really doesn't work and in the end for us at least, it was a waste of time.

We weren't being picked up by our car until 1.30 and I had visions of a leisurely carriage ride through Central Park, then a fantabulous lunch somewhere then off to the airport for a quick 3 hr trip to WDW.

Hmmmmmm, boy did things go horribly wrong :rotfl2:.

We woke up to POURING rain so obviously Central Park was out. In fact it was so heavy that the prospect of going out amongst it did not appeal to any of us. We ran across the road to a deli for a hot breakky then headed back to the room so I could do the final packing and the kids and DH indulged in some relaxing (which after the hectic week we have had was not a bad thing). The morning dragged for us all and we were excited to head down to the lobby just before 12 to check out. Because it was raining so hard we headed to the lounge/bar with all of our (and I mean all) luggage :rotfl:, man we were a sight to behold in that elegant Hilton lounge. We ordered some lunch and settled in for the 1 1/2 hour wait. The time actually passed quickly and soon we were in the car off to La Guardia. We check in no problems, have about an hour to kill, then hop on the plane to begin our new adventure.

THIS IS WHERE THINGS GO HAYWIRE!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone is all buckled in ready to go and the pilot comes on the intercom telling us there is something wrong with the back up brake and the mechanics were coming to check it, shouldn't take too long. About 20 mins pass and he comes on again saying it doesn't look good, the plane is a sitting duck at this point and the flight will be cancelled. He tells us all to sit tight and the ticket people would come and tell us what to do. We wait another 15 minutes and then he announces that miracle of all miracles, they have found another plane, we were to disembark, head to gate 5 and hop on that
new plane. Whew, crisis averted right?

NOT!!!!!!!!!!

We all head over to the other gate, wait around for a while then one of the staff comes over and says, ummmm actually there is no plane, we were going to have to make other arrangements. I'm sorry, did I hear him right. WE WERE GOING TO HAVE TO MAKE OTHER ARRANGEMENTS!!!! Call me crazy but I would think the airline would be making those arrangements, not us. Hmmm, it would seem not. He said we could go to gate 4 and try to get on the Tampa flight, then catch a bus from Tampa otherwise we would have to try and find another Orlando flight but he wasn't sure if there even was another one today.

CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IT'S BEST I WOULD SAY!!!!!

Whilst my mouth was stunned into silence, my feet sprang into action and I started running for gate 4 because I figured Tampa was our best bet. The family finally caught up and I was head of the line. The guy at the Tampa gate had no clue what we were talking about which nearly sent my blood pressure sky high. I was imagining my children bursting into tears when we said "oh sorry guys, no WDW today". He mentioned finding a customer service desk so I thought, okay, lets find one of those. I amazingly found one quickly and we jumped into line about 4 from the front and saw some other flight members had done the same. Beside the line was a wall of customer service phones and a man said to me you could phone up to do the same thing. So I left family in line and jumped over onto the phone. I got straight through to a guy and he said he could put us on a flight at 7.15. It was 5pm by then and as much as 2 hours seemed like such a long time, we jumped at it. We printed out new boarding passes and were feeling good but when we looked at them it said the flight was leaving at 8.15pm. Ugh.

So onto the phone I jump again because I thought there may have been a mistake. Well it seems the 7.15 had been delayed to 8.15 due to the weather.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???????????

So not only have we had a flight cancelled, we now have a new flight delayed for an hour. To say it was a long wait was an understatement but I was so proud of the kids. They were amazing, seriously they were little angels the whole time. I can't thank them enough because DH and I were a little churned up from the stress of working out what do to and it made it so much better having our beautiful kids being total sweethearts. So we sat in the terminal, along with hundreds of other tired, annoyed and frustrated people. The flight ended up being even later, something like 8.40. But I was just relieved we were actually going to arrive in Orlando that night even if it was late. DH thought it was quite funny how aggressively active I became about getting us on another flight but I said nothing was going to keep me from Disney :lmao:

We had the Magical Express bus to ourselves, hahaha and the driver was a wealth of info which was lovely.

We walked into Wilderness Lodge and frankly I was too tired to see but I still knew it was a place I was going to love. We didn't look around the lobby at all, we just checked in, got to our club level room, showered, slipped into jammies and hit the bed. I hit the pillow at 1.45am :scared1:

IMG_9589.jpg

From checking out of the Hilton at 12 noon to bedtime, was a lifetime of a journey full of ups and downs but man we were happy to be here.

And walking into our room, there was a Mickey towel animal on the bed, it made me smile and I knew were we going to have a great time.

I'm typing this from the lobby at 4.45pm our first day here. The family are napping and I'm typing this while my washing is on. We have had an amazing day already but I'll update on that later.

IMG_9603.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

OMG, What an absolute nightmare of a day!!!! I am so sorry that you have all had that hideous drama. When I first started reading your post, I wondered if your flight had been delayed or diverted. There were huge storms here last night and there were tornedo warnings and apparantly Orlando airport was closed for a while, planes being divered to Tampa and somewhere. Miami was closed too I believe. My DS has a friend from school who was arriving yesterday, so was wondering if they made it last night with the delays and planes being diverted.

You must have wonderful kids, that is such a long day, they must have felt how stressful it was for you and your DH, there is nothing more stressful and tiring than being stuck in an airport and rushing around trying to get things arranged with cancellations (been there done that).

At least you eventually got here after such a long long day.

We moved from AKL to BC today and we packed up early for our 7.30am ADR at Cape Mays (we were originally going to check in at BC yesterday but added a day to the trip after I had made the ADR's), so we sent our luggage to bell services at AKL about 6.30am, then took a taxi to BC, planned to check in, have breakfast and then go back to AKL as our room wouldn't be ready that early. Well to my surprise it was :cool1: So after breakfast we came to the room at BC and have been at Epcot all day and are now back for a rest, before heading back to Epcot for dinner and illuminations.

Hope the rest of your trip is completely drama and stress free! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter