Shuttergirl taking on the US hehe - NOW WITH some PHOTOS See Post 1 for links

Shuttergirl - What a nightmare and I hope that this means that the rest of your trip is the complete opposite and absolutely fantastic.

Looking forward to finding out how you're enjoying WL and WDW.

Wow Shuttergirl, what an ordeal!!!! :flower3:

Isn't it wonderful how kids can just step up and be so beautiful when they can see that all around them is in chaos - congrats to your well behaved kiddos :cheer2:

Here's hoping that the rest of the trip is much less eventful than yesterday.

xxx

Oh Ms Shuttergirl, I'm so sorry to hear of your extremely stressful ordeal :scared1: What airline were you flying because, based on the customer service you received (or Not), it sounds like one to avoid! As others have said, I hope thats the only major hiccup and that it's all good from now on :thumbsup2

OMG, What an absolute nightmare of a day!!!! I am so sorry that you have all had that hideous drama. When I first started reading your post, I wondered if your flight had been delayed or diverted. There were huge storms here last night and there were tornedo warnings and apparantly Orlando airport was closed for a while, planes being divered to Tampa and somewhere. Miami was closed too I believe. My DS has a friend from school who was arriving yesterday, so was wondering if they made it last night with the delays and planes being diverted.

You must have wonderful kids, that is such a long day, they must have felt how stressful it was for you and your DH, there is nothing more stressful and tiring than being stuck in an airport and rushing around trying to get things arranged with cancellations (been there done that).

At least you eventually got here after such a long long day.

We moved from AKL to BC today and we packed up early for our 7.30am ADR at Cape Mays (we were originally going to check in at BC yesterday but added a day to the trip after I had made the ADR's), so we sent our luggage to bell services at AKL about 6.30am, then took a taxi to BC, planned to check in, have breakfast and then go back to AKL as our room wouldn't be ready that early. Well to my surprise it was :cool1: So after breakfast we came to the room at BC and have been at Epcot all day and are now back for a rest, before heading back to Epcot for dinner and illuminations.

Hope the rest of your trip is completely drama and stress free! :wizard:

I think it was a combo of the weather in Orlando, mixed with the weather in New York that was the problem. Yes, the kids were great and I was so proud.

Sounds like you are still enjoying yourself. What do you think of the BC compared with AKL?

Shuttergirl - What a nightmare and I hope that this means that the rest of your trip is the complete opposite and absolutely fantastic.

Looking forward to finding out how you're enjoying WL and WDW.

PIO - yes I feel sure everything else will be wonderful. We've had an amazing first day, and truthfully everything after today will just be "gravy" because we really enjoyed ourselves as a family today.

Wow Shuttergirl, what an ordeal!!!! :flower3:

Isn't it wonderful how kids can just step up and be so beautiful when they can see that all around them is in chaos - congrats to your well behaved kiddos :cheer2:

Here's hoping that the rest of the trip is much less eventful than yesterday.

xxx

Yes I definitely think the kids could sense it was a crazy time. DH and I managed not to get annoyed with each other as well which I thought was a magical feat as high stress can often send us snapping at each other.

Oh Ms Shuttergirl, I'm so sorry to hear of your extremely stressful ordeal :scared1: What airline were you flying because, based on the customer service you received (or Not), it sounds like one to avoid! As others have said, I hope thats the only major hiccup and that it's all good from now on :thumbsup2

We are flying with Delta Airlines. It was quite a shock actually because we flew with them both int and domestic last time, I think 7 flights in all and we never had a flight be delayed or any drama. I think it was just one of those days but it sure was a crappy one hahaha.

We are having fun in the world now so it's all a distant memory.

Thanks for all of the support and well wishes, I can't wait to update you on our first day.

Oh the stress of it all. Fancy being told to make your own arrangements, that would hit the news if Qantas tried that on! Nevermind the children after my anger subsided I would of been in tears, it someone told me no WDW.:sad2:
Anyhow, you've made it safely now and that will hopefully bring all good pixie dust for the rest of your trip.

I'm loving your trip report and wish I was there, even for drama in NY.

Hope you've enjoyed your first day in world.

Thank god you made it to the world, despite all the problems! What a nightmare! Did you have to pay for the flight to Tampa? Will you get a refund on the Delta flight? Will travel insurance cover any costs incurred?

Sounds like you are still enjoying yourself. What do you think of the BC compared with AKL?

Well we love the location and the room is lovely. We are so far from the lobby, we have only walked that route twice and got lost both times :lmao: I actually joked with the guy who walked us to our room that I was surprised that Disney didn't provide a courtesy bus or shuttle, maybe a golf cart, to get to the rooms :lmao: He laughed and said it's not a bad idea :rotfl2: But there is a stairwell just at the end of our hallway and it comes out right near Epcot entrance, its about a 1 minute walk, closer than our room to Lobby at AKL, which is great. It was nice having Captains Grill for breakfast, we like TS but don't always want the big character meal, so Captains grill is quite reasonably priced, has buffet or menu.

I have to say though, that I do think that I prefer AKL, I actually like both and am looking forward to moving to YC in a few days, but they both have +'s and -'s AKL is farther away so bus is required to go everywhere and it's darker, BC is great that you can just walk to heaps of different restaurants, Epcot and HS and it's much brighter. But it was very relaxing at AKL, the animals are very calming and the lobby and theming is just awesome.

As I am currently doing laundry :rotfl: I am not impressed with the laundry at BC compared to AKL and isn't this what one should base their accommodation choice on, the laundry :lmao: (NOT). We are at the quiet pool at the moment whilst I do our massive pile of laundry. AKL has about 5 or 6 machines and 8 dryers and two coin machines that you put $ notes in to get coins, with a waiting room with tv and comfy chairs. BC has two machines and one is out of order and only two dryers. So I was planning on getting all the laundry done in one go but now it will take ages! Plus they don't have the coin machine so I then had to make the trek to the shop to get change for the washing machine and dryer.

How is WL, is it everything that you had imagined? It is by the same designer as the AKL so I imagine it would be fantastic theming.

I hope that you are all having a wonderful time.

Oh my goodness! How stressful!!! I thought Delta was supposed to help make alternative arrangements. Would love to hear the answers to Mum In Oz's questions too!

Aussietravellers, enjoying your mini reviews of all the deluxe resorts!

Well after the dramas of the previous day and such a late night I wondered what the new day would bring. We all woke around 8.30am with a fresh attitude and lots of excitement.

Let me start by telling you about this amazing resort. Wilderness Lodge is simply "SPECTACULAR". There is no other word to describe it. The theming is astounding, the details, the minutest details, well they are incredible. I love all of the wood and texture and indian artifacts and the stunning lobby and that fireplace and my favourite thing of all, the stunning light fixtures everywhere. The 4 big ones in the lobby shaped like teepees are of course my favourites but all around the resort there are others that are smaller but just as beautiful. The grounds are so green and lush and completely in keeping with the theme. No photos (not even mine haha) could do this place justice. You just have to see it to take in all of the beauty.

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

Now on to our room. Well I don't know whether it is pure luck, pixie dust, or more likely my US travel agent who happens to be staying here at the moment too, but our room can only be described as "the room with the best view". We are on the top floor, staying club level and the view from our room is of, wait for it, the Castle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a row of trees blocking most of the of the rooms on this floors view but it is like someone cut a big hole in the trees just so we could see the castle. We couldn't quite believe our eyes last night when we walked out on the balcony. As I type this, DD and I have just finished watching the MNSSHP fireworks from our little balcony, to anyone who will be going to the party, the fireworks look amazing. The inside of the room is so quaint too. Lots of little details, everywhere you look. I love it all.

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

Okay, back to our first day at WDW. We grabbed a quick bite at the club lounge then headed down to catch our first Disney bus. I have to say so far we are extremely impressed with the transport system. We were heading to Animal Kingdom for our first day and even though we arrived at 10 I was determined to do the safari first. We raced up to the back of the park, me promising the kids we would "stop and smell the roses" after the safari hahaha. The safari of course did not disappoint. We all enjoyed it alot. We then decided to head to Kali River Rapids to get a fast pass for later. I had told the family we would ride it just before leaving for the day because I didn't want to walk around wet all day. Of course when we got there there was only a 5 min wait so the kids pleaded and I finally agreed. Of course we all got soaked so I said, what the hey, lets ride it again. We ended up riding 3 times in a row, no wait. Lots of fun for all. Oh and we saw this old lady get a drenching on our first ride and I think we will giggle about that for years to come, it was the funniest thing ever, her face when she got wet was priceless.

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9833.jpg

IMG_9715.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

We then wandered over to Dinoland and proceeded to ride, Triceratops Spin, Primevil Whirl (DH sat that one out) then onto Dinosaur. The kids fave was Primevil Whirl, I found it a little scary as the drops were unexpected but I definitely loved Dinosaur.

We then slowly made our way to Yak and Yeti for lunch. The food and atmosphere were wonderful. I loved all of the effort that had gone into the detail of the restaurant. We used our dining plan credits and it all seemed fairly straight forward.

We got to see De Vine which was very exciting.

After lunch we went to meet some characters, managed to get 4 of the top characters done very quickly. There just simply were no lines for anything all day, it was great. It was getting a little more crowded by the time we left which was around 3.30. We had planned to see the FotLK show but ran out of time so will do that another day.

IMG_9804.jpg

IMG_9794.jpg

I have read on the DIS that AK is only a one day park. I would have to disagree, we hardly saw anything in the 5 1/2 hours we were there and will definitely be going back for more time there. A great start.

IMG_1216.jpg

We headed back to WL and DH and the kids had a nap while I did the laundry, ugh. But I sat down in the lobby with my laptop while the washing was running through and updated you guys about our terrible airport day so it wasn't all bad. When the family got up they went for a swim and had a great time. The little water slide here was a hit and the pool looks very nice.

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

We all showered and headed out to Magic Kingdom as we had tickets for the Wishes Dessert Party. We were early so we wandered up main street, oohed and ahhhed at the castle and then went to see what the wait time for Buzz was. Only 5 mins so we rode twice and then headed to the party.

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9866.jpg

IMG_9872.jpg

Our table had a wonderful view of the castle and we were pretty excited. The desserts were nice, however they aren't spectacular so if you are planning on going mainly for the food, don't. But if like me, the desserts are purely a bonus for such great seats for the fireworks then it's a must do. When the fireworks were starting everyone moved to the railing and watched the AMAZING show. DH is not much of a fan of fireworks, doesn't get what all the fuss is about. He was blown away too. They were beautiful.

First plate
IMG_9906.jpg

IMG_9915.jpg

IMG_9910.jpg

IMG_9941.jpg

IMG_9958.jpg

IMG_9997.jpg

We wandered back up main street, got a bus fairly quick and headed home to WL. It was a great first day at WDW.

Aussietravellers - your tip about sitting up the back of the bus is a godsend. First bus trip DH looks at me and says, ooooh that air conditioning is really cold isn't it. From then on we've sat up the back and each time I say a little thank you in my head to you.

Glad to hear you are liking your new resort but the laundry sounds pitiful. That would totally affect how much i liked the place :lmao:

Oh Ms Shuttergirl - you poor things having flight problems - that really annoys me knowing how far you have had to travel in the first place! And I just love how your kids pulled one out of the bag and were well behaved - kids surprise you don't they at unexpected times, I get totally stressed at things like that too! Loving your updates and so happy to hear you are at WDW now. Keep it up!

Ms Shuttergirl WL is high on my list of choices of where to stay on our trip and you have certainly made it sound devine. We are staying at the GCH in DL before WDW and I wondered if the theme may be a little similar and to go with something different at WDW.

Decisions are the worst... We are looking for somewhere to come back and escape the crowds... can't wait to hear more.

Enjoy your holiday and thanks for sharing and bringing Disney magic to our days back here in Oz.:thumbsup2

I would love to stay at WL. Last year on a non-park day we decided to go and check it out. Not sure if we were meant too, but after going to the lobby we walked behind the main building to the pool area and the jetty. DH decided that he wanted to stay there next time, until I told him how much it cost. Your room location sounds fab!

I agree that AK needs more than one day. We had a day and a half - would have been 2 days but DD(4) threw the biggest tantrum so we had to leave.

Hope you are taking plenty of photos.

Aussietravellers - your tip about sitting up the back of the bus is a godsend. First bus trip DH looks at me and says, ooooh that air conditioning is really cold isn't it. From then on we've sat up the back and each time I say a little thank you in my head to you.

Glad to hear you are liking your new resort but the laundry sounds pitiful. That would totally affect how much i liked the place :lmao:

I'm glad my little tip has come in handy :rotfl2: It really does make a difference though doesn't it, sitting on those warm seats. Makes the freezing bus ride more comfortable :rotfl2:

Wow your day at AK sounds wonderful. Totally agree with it not being a one day park, we haven't done nearly everything yet and will be needing at least one more day. I hope you got to see some of the baby animals.

The wishes dessert party sounds good, we couldn't get tickets to that, but I am glad that you enjoyed the fireworks.

Wow your room view sounds awesome, how absoultely fantastic having the castle view and seeing the fireworks and WL sounds just beautiful.

So glad you are having a magical holiday!

I'll go into more detail in my next update but Hollywood Studios is a little uninspiring so far. Maybe I'm missing something?

Other than TSM of course.

I'll go into more detail in my next update but Hollywood Studios is a little uninspiring so far. Maybe I'm missing something?

Ah no, I don't think you are missing something :rotfl2:

If you are not into rollercoasters/scary rides or not fit to ride them (like myself), aside from TSM there isn't much excitement, shows are ok. Fantasmic is good (but you can't do that during the day), 50's Prime Time and Sci Fi are good. So no, you haven't missed something :rotfl:

This was our least favourite park. Kids wouldn't sit through the shows, and they were too young for the rides. Highlight of the day was TSM, and meeting Lightning and Mater. Even the food was bad. We ate at ABC commissary.

1748 photos taken up to the end of yesterday. 1000 in NYC and already 748 by the end of day two in WDW. Man that's gonna be alot of editing by the time we've finished our holiday :rotfl2:

If you're not into shows and the rides, then you're not missing anything.

DS and DH absolutely LOVE RnRC, StarWars ride, Lights Camera Action show, Indiana Jones show and TSM. It also helps that DS is a Power Rangers freak; so we spend about 1 - 2 hours queuing up to get photos and autographs from all 5 of them. This time round, we managed to add Beauty and the Beast show to the things to see (ho hum), which stretched the day out further. We came back on another night to see Fantasmic.

Aside from the Butterfinger cupcake (which is super sweet), I would be happy to catch the Friendship to Epcot/Boardwalk and eat there instead of HS.

I hope that you have lots of memory cards for all your photos!

If you're not into shows and the rides, then you're not missing anything.

DS and DH absolutely LOVE RnRC, StarWars ride, Lights Camera Action show, Indiana Jones show and TSM. It also helps that DS is a Power Rangers freak; so we spend about 1 - 2 hours queuing up to get photos and autographs from all 5 of them. This time round, we managed to add Beauty and the Beast show to the things to see (ho hum), which stretched the day out further. We came back on another night to see Fantasmic.

Aside from the Butterfinger cupcake (which is super sweet), I would be happy to catch the Friendship to Epcot/Boardwalk and eat there instead of HS.

I hope that you have lots of memory cards for all your photos!

Sadly the Power Rangers have gone! :sad1: So upset because we missed them last time we were here and wanted to see them! Also Star Tours has just closed! So that has gone too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter