Shrek vs. Lilo and Stitch

Which did you like best?

• Liked Shrek better

• Liked Lilo & Stitch better

• liked or disliked them about the same

Results are only viewable after voting.

Peter Pirate

Its not the end of civilization...But you can see
Now that it's theatre run is about through I was wondering how my DIS friends feel about the two. As you all know I disliked Shrek...I never saw the magic (except for the final scene) and although L&S was quite different, I liked it.

Now there is no doubt who the box office winner was (Shrek 250+ to L&S 140+) but I'm interested to know how the DIS Rumors crowd actually feel.
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

The art and style of L&S is more human than Shrek's.
Soft and warm versus sharp and cold.
Maybe because of these differences it was easier to be drawn into L&S than Shrek.
Hopefully someone picks up the brush of traditional animation if Disney disgards it.

We saw Shrek on a rental at home.
L&S in the theatre (twice) :)
I think watching any movie in a theatre is better than at home on TV.
Shrek was good and I liked it. But wouldn't probably watch it again unless it was on TV for free.
L&S I plan to pre-order and watch many times. :)

It is like our favorite movie in the world....too funny, I am laughing just thinking about it. We liked Lilo too, but you just can't compare the two, IMHO.:bounce: :Pinkbounc :earseek:

Throw me in with the Shrekies. I liked both but one thing that sticks with me is the fact that when we went to see Shrek it was priority for us to see it opening weekend. Lilo & Stitch caught our eye but we didn't see it in theaters until almost a month after its opening. I think both are great stories with amusing characters and of course humorous. Lilo, IMO seemed like a rushed story. So much was going on that at times I felt that the audience was getting an abbreviated version of the movie. Shrek was well paced and though the story was nothing unique, the humor and twist on the classical fairy tale was different. Lilo's humor was more of a chuckle to yourself while the gross out gags of Shrek were LOL.

Give me a good ole fart joke any day of the week! :jester:

I loved both of these movies. I like both of them for different reasons. I love the sarcastic "hidden" jokes in shrek, and I love the way Lilo is (typical child!). They are both great!
Leslie

I wonder how truly respresentative a poll on a Disney board can be though? Many of us might, after all, tend to be a little biased. I know that I am, usually anyway. ;)

I havent seen either movie. I have ssen the coming attractions for L & S and parts of Shrek(wasnt impressed with what i saw).I dont plan on seeing Shrek but i will see L & S when it somes out on DVD.

I have a much bigger emotional attachement to L&S over Shrek.

Shrek certainly has a more comical material in it than L&S.

Personally, I am just blown away by the water color backgrounds and the amount of work put in to create them.

Planogirl this poll WAS NOT intended to be representative of anything other than our little group here on the DIS...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

While I have seen both movies and enjoyed both of them I think Lilo & Stitch has the greater staying power. The story is far more "timeless" than Shrek. Shrek's jokes are funny now but in 20 years when today's kids are watchng it with their kids I think they will have to explain alot of the jokes.

The animation, and character design was FAR superior in L & S. IMHO Shrek was the only character in the film they put any thought into! Most of the others did not seem very original and while I know "human" characters are the hardest to do in CG I felt the princess was VERY poorly done. I also had a VERY hard time accepting Eddie Murphy as the Donkey. It took me almost 1/2 the movie to get past "Eddie Murphy" and accept the Donkey as a character. I did not have this problem with Mushu. I originally thought this might be the computer animation but I have not had any problems with any of the characters in Toy Story I or II and A Bug's Life and they have had many celebrity voices.

I saw L & S when I was down in WDW for the Drwan to be Bad Event. This was my second time and I enjoyed the film as much, if not more, this time. I doubt I could say this about Shrek but to be fair I have not watched it a second time.

I will purchase L & S. I do not own Shrek and probably would only own it if someone bought it for me as a gift.

Dom -- I agree. I enjoyed L&S even more the second time around. I would go a third round if it wasn't coming out so soon on DVD. ;)
I also think it will more long standing than Shrek.
Shrek was cute and well done. But it's a type of humor you have to enjoy -- just as Three Stooges or bathroom humor (merely used as examples).
And like with any movie, there are some who will not like L&S no matter what. But seems L&S would hit a more broad viewing group.
But yet I must be wrong -- Shrek was very popular! Of course so was Con Air and Titanic! :jester: ;)

Now Con Air was excellant!!!
And fews things in the movie world are more classic and timeless than the Three Stooges!!!!!

While Stitch isn't on my list of favorite characters, L&S was much better than Shrek IMO. Shrek really turned me off. There was something cynical about the movie, in spite of the ending. Part of it was the animation-- as someone else mentioned, it was "cold," but it also looked like those illustrated fairy tales where everyone just looks a little too real and wierd at the same time. Yuk. I also didn't like the crassness of the movie and didn't feel it was appropriate for children. I'm glad I can count on Disney not to put farting and booger eating in one of their movies for laughs.

Disclaimer -- I have nothing against Three Stooges, or even bathroom humor. I only used that in showing TYPES of humor that are not loved by all. Same would be for South Park or The Simpson's. Some LOVE it -- some don't. ;) Just depends on what type of humor/entertainment people like.
Just like some people LOVE Star Trek, some wouldn't bother to turn on their TV for that if it was a rare never before seen footage.

I haven't seen Lilo & Stitch mainly because is zipped out of the local theatres so quickly that I'll have to make a special trip to Manhatten to see it now.

However I don't think you can compare these two movies. One is a satire the other seems to be a gentle comedy. I think you'd have to compare L&S to Toy Story to be fair.

L&S had carters that you could care about and were multi-demenisonal Unlike Shreck which was about as one demenisonal
as you could get.

L&S 2
Shreck 1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter